Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer (Dublin) in the Civil Service 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

comment deleted

Post edited by Queerdub on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭Technocentral

What if you are in a part of a large Department after getting EO promotion a few months ago and just don't like the area ie it doesn't suit your skills will HR move you to another area of the Department or are you demoted to a CO?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pip1414

Just looking for some advice - I got assigned back in December and given a start for the beginning of February. They still haven't issued a contract because they say they're waiting on confirmation of my line manager, but have assigned me a division. I'm starting to get really worried as from next Friday, I might be unemployed! I emailed today asking for an update and expressing my anxiety over the situation, but no reply so I really don't know what to do?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LS84

I'm currently going through clearance and I've queried the requirement of obtaining a refefence from my current employer.

I can't have them asking my manager for a reference. I'm in the private sector and it's just not the done thing to tell your current employer that you are looking for a new job, let alone ask them to provide a reference.

The only way round it I can think of is that I obtain a character reference letter from my HR (this would be a normal thing to ask for as it's often needed in other scenarios such as renting an apartment).

I suggested this and was advised to just send the documents back and we can sort out the reference stuff later.

I've been in my company for 7 years and I can't be telling my employer about a new job until I have a contract and am sure I will take the position.

I knew this part would be an obstacle. Surely it's the same for a lot of people coming from the private sector.

Anyone have any similar experiences or advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

you could be moved, whether you actually will be or not is a different story and ultimately is up to HR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭koifish

It's possible the line manager or whoever could be away or on leave etc., there's so much movement right now in some departments. HR are probably stuck in limbo too.

Do you have access to any other open/public emails for that section specifically? I'd just try hounding them and asking for either your line manager or a higher supervisor/team HEO to clarify for your situation and respond to HR. Hopefully someone higher up will take ownership of it.

I had a similar situation and it's a pain, the service is very old school. I'd just try using the HR character reference like you said (maybe combining with references from any previous employers/managers too that you would've mentioned on your application) and explaining the situation to them. So long as there's someone official they can contact to confirm you worked there, that should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ihope

Can anyone advise what numbers are being interviewed at the moment, is the panel likely to reach anywhere near OOM 1600 in the next few months ? thanks a mil.

Probably not. They've called a little under 700 since September so maybe in like another 6 months you'll hear something if not later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dublin2024

A colleague of mine was a similar OOM on the EO 2022 comp and they were interviewed in just of last year, maybe another 5 months or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Roryegan

Hi all,

Can someone please help?

I'm trying to Google the information but most of it seems outdated.

What is the minimum requirement to come in externally as an EO(nfq level 6 etc)

Some documents are saying level 7 and some are saying fetac level 5.

Don't qualify with leaving cert.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭Technocentral

See below hasnt changed since 2022. Note the "or" before (ii)

Eligibility Requirements On the closing date of 2nd June 2022, to be eligible for consideration, a candidate must satisfy all of the following requirements: 1. (i) have obtained a minimum Level 7 qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications;

or (ii) have obtained in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination a minimum of Grade D (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate O6 grade) at Ordinary level in Mathematics and Irish or English, having obtained a minimum of Grade C (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate H4 grade) in at least five subjects at Higher level; or hold a qualification, that in the opinion of the Public Appointments Service, is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is of at least an equivalent or higher standard; i.e a qualification that is equal to a full Level 5 Major award or above on the Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) National Frameworkof Qualifications. Please see a guidance document on how to ensure you have the correct qualification prior to application –Click Here- or (iii) have completed and passed all examinations in Year 1 of a three or four-year programme leading to a minimum Level 7 qualification on the Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) National Framework of Qualifications; or 

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I had the exact situation recently (I start as an eo this coming week). Was with my company 7.5 years.

In the end, I asked my line manager. I essentially came to realise that alerting them of my intention to possibly leave couldn't exactly jeopardize my job - because if I didn't take the EO offer, it might be uncomfortable in my job afterwards but I would be planning to leave anyway when a more suitable offer came around. And I knew if they were annoyed at me for making my intention to leave clear, they couldn't really try to retaliate by managing me out after 7.5 years of stellar performance reviews.

So I asked, they gave them, and made me two offers to stay (large raise and when declined, a promotion I'd have jumped on 6 months ago).

Worked out fine for me, but you could always ask previous employers before your current role?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭defiantdancer

Wow @PmMeUrDogs they were obviously really sorry to lose u! May I ask u,were u at at all tempted to stay? What made u decide to choose the EO role in the end?best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ihope

Thanks @pygmaliondreams and @Dublin2024 so the might reach 1600 at some point eventually before the panel ends.

How much notice are they giving before the interview in this EO panel. Thanks a mil.

Nah, I wasn't tempted to stay. I felt I'd learned all I could learn and I'm a sucker for wanting to be constantly learning. I went for the eo role because the specific things the department I'm in work on is of personal interest to me ☺️ thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭defiantdancer

Aah, u are in the right place so-plenty of opportunities to learn with access to the OneLearning platform. Best of luck in your new chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I've been assigned Civil Justice, Immigration Service Delivery, Registration Office.

Am I right in assuming wfh will be non existent?

It's a big section, some staff have 2 days WFH but a lot don't have any. You wouldn't really be certain until you start if there's any potential for such... That seems to be my impression, I've never worked for them but Burgh Quay is a decent spot.

It's a nice busy area of Justice, very central with plenty of transport and the people are lovely. (in my prev experience!) Nice social buzz.

Registration Office could mean you're public-facing but all depends on the work I guess, not sure about WFH in their area. There seems to be potential to move around though. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 HMDMyers

I have been assigned Public Appointments Service. Does anyone know what it's like and do they have wfh?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 DarkKnight

I've been told by people I've worked with who previously worked there that it's mostly WFH with a day or two max in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LS84

@PmMeUrDogs Glad it worked out for you! They won't accept a reference from my previous employer. If I go ahead, I will have them contact someone from HR ops in a different region. Do you happen to know what they say in the request email and whether they state it's a reference for a job role? I understand that they just need a general reference confirming employment dates etc.

I don't know exactly what they want on the reference but I know they wanted to ask my employer specific questions about me to determine my suitability for the role. My employer gave me a copy of the reference they wrote for me, but I know after that, they were asked questions also. So someone who's willing to answer questions re your suitability and character is important

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MatildasMammy

Have others taken the day off for their interviews? Mine is during lunch so was going to just work around it. Also I'm wondering when others have told their HEO's? I was thinking get through the interview first and see if I pass then tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭torn-between-jobs

What’s the likelihood of PAS asking for copy of leaving cert results… the effort of getting a copy !

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Do you have a higher level course, then they won't ask for lc results if you say have a degree

I had to provide proof of LC or higher education. LC took too long to arrive (I had to order a copy of that and my higher education as I haven't been in education for a very long time), but my higher education one came quickly and I gave that

You can input special leave for any PAS/internal interviews, just check in with your EO so they're aware.

I've done the same for previous panels and just waited till I passed the interview/knew for certain, then informed the HEO just so they were aware. Either they or your AP could be contacted for references anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Breaker10

Could anyone assist with the interview itself - are candidates interviewed on all 5 competencies ?? If so is it briefly or more in depth? 1st EO interview, just wondering if I need to put more work into competencies or general interview questions?

Advertisement