Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not a kick of out my PC after smashing it to floor from desk height..

Options
  • 15-01-2024 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

It's been a while since I have been around these parts and I feel like a bit of b** coming around in my owner of need, but here I am!!

Relocating my desk this evening, my PC sits on a cabinet beside my desk (at desk height), a connected cable pulled my PC case to the floor and smashed the case... it was quite the thump.

Not a kick out of the PC now..the only thing that shows life is the GFX card with it's two white power LEDs.

Anyway, I have stripped it all down and put the case in the bin.. put the motherboard on a non conductive surface and went back to basics. CPU remains attached (not sure if it's seated properly) and I connected the PSU to the main board. Started with no GFX or SSD. There is no power button on the motherboard PCB, so I tried the case button PCB and also just shorting the pwr header pins. No go.. I rinsed and repeated with GFX and SSD - still nowt.

It seems to me as though the PSU might have had it.. strange that it powers the GFX power LEDs, though.

Or perhaps the motherboard is shot? But I find that hard to believe, my understanding is that boards like that are fairly tough.

I have a PSU I can pull from another old build tomorrow (hopefully it's compatible).

Where would you go from here?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Most of it shouldn't care about a knock, but there's two things that will, and there's where there's significant weight, which is the GPU and heatsink. Remove and check both for any damage, before reseating them fully to make sure. It's an MSI board, does it have the debug LEDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Agreed.. I took out the GPU so I ruled that out. I didn't have a look at the CPU/HS at all to be honest..

Might sound silly, but would it power on without the CPU - surely it would at least get to pre-POST?

I didn't see any LEDs on the board to be honest.. I had a PC before and it two LCD Segment displays that would show codes, but not here. The lack of any LEDs is what made me wonder if the PSU was damaged in some way?

..Also would say that's an ATX board at a glance? I'll need to order a new case lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

In what way did the case break? Did it separate completely, and there was stress on the cables from the PSU?

Hmm it's odd... I wrote a reply here the other day. Obviusly didn't hit reply or wait for it to POST... oh well.

Scarily... The CPU was loose from its ZIF Connector... but still bonded to the cooler.

I detached the CPU from cooler with hair dryer. Reconnected the CPU and it booted up.

I turned it off immediately as there was no cooler. New thermal paste hast arrived but I've not had a change to re seat the cooler.

But it looks to be all good.

......oh and to answer your question. The case just kind of fractured. Nothing came apart ans all devices/ wires still connected....apart from rhe CPU obviusly.

AMD CPU then? It's easier for the PGA style sockets to do that, and never a welcome sight. You may to check the lugs and screws for the heatsink to make sure none have snapped or stripped.

• Advertisement

Yea its an AMD alright.

Noted, I'll keep an eye on when reassembling later.

Thank you.

Thanks for the help everybody.

All is good now I think. I received a new case and thermal compound.

Over the weekend I rebuilt everything in my new case and PC works fine. The GPU outputs seem a little off, if I plug in a second monitor both screens go dead. I'm not sure what is going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

For the continuing GPU issues YouTube is your friend here OP. Type in the model of GPU in the YouTube search bar and the videos will come up. As for both screens going dead, are you connecting a monitor by HDMI ? Again, look up releveant videos on YouTUbe.

Ok thanks a lot. I just raise it as an issue as I don't recall it happening before the crash.

I'll play around and see what's going on. I'll have a look at drivers being up to date and all of that too (or the up to date drivers being the issue LMAO).

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement