Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Rows Grower threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It's not that outlandish.

"Cui bono" is the common question after a murder. Or "follow the money". Daniel TDP benefitted the most.

People assume hitmen are professionals, in Ireland they're normally just drug addicts with a debt.

Maybe the hitman was just someone Daniel TDP had some sort of power or control over.

Maybe his initial plan was to strangle her but it didn't work so he used the other weapons at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Bailey was no mug

He knew a public enquiry would likely clear him although I believe he's guilty

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Slightly more likely than a failed alien abduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

A new doc about the murder, due out this year. Provisionally called "Recreation" or Re-creation. I don't think we'll see that much of Ian Bailey or Marie Farrell in it.

Edit; Correction;

Marie Farrell will feature in it. Sheridan has got a name for the man seen outside her shop from a photofit drawn up with Marie Farrell, he's an acquaintance of Daniel apparently.

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Very easy push for an investigation when you and those around you have blanket immunity.

Also Daniel wasn't the only person who pushed for the case to be reopened was he?

I believe that chink in your argument has already been pointed out to you several times.

Sounds like horsesh1t reading that

Suppose Sheridan needs a few bob for the retirement fund. No different to the hordes of others making money out of this.

Why would you add fiction to this story?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Then why did he refuse to meet with Garda detectives if he had nothing to hide, and wanted to move the investigation along?

I'm not making any specific allegation against Daniel but given the number of spouses involves in the murder of their wives, as a matter of routine, it is reasonable to expect the police investigating a murder to want to speak to the husband, or even recent ex or separated husband. Even if only purely for elimination purposes, or if the husband had heard of anything that might be useful.

Hitmen make mistakes, they slip up. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many failed, botched hits, or they wouldn't end up in jail afterwards. They are not all cool headed trained experienced types that don't make a mistake. Something that looked like an assassination would immediately point back to the husband. That's not to say it was a hitman necessarily but merely that things can get out of control. Similarly, could be some other criminal sorts who perhaps only went there to threaten Sophie and things escalated.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

The hitman using a block makes some sense in that it wouldn't point back to Daniel

This and the burglar theory etc are all very much in the less likely sphere imo

Bailey lied about his whereabouts, various explanations about the scratches ,confessed to the murder

Therefore he likely killed her

The assumption is Sophie rang Daniel around midnight.

Maybe it wasn't Sophie.

I assume phone records were checked to show there was an actual call made.

I also assume no investigation was done on the younger Eastern European Cuckoo who took the nest?

I don't think Sophies son liked her very much.

Murder itself is unlikely but the scenario outlined for Bailey is especially so. I've asked for and looked for corresponding similar cases and drawn a blank.

His alibi is a mess but that isn't positive proof of guilt. The scratches and confessions can be explained \ disputed \ debated.

It is possible he killed her, but I would not say likely. On balance of probabilities, given how much he was investigated and how little was found, I think he is likely innocent. But the case is a mess and the lack of solid direct facts is why we're still debating it decades later. We don't even know when the murder happened. It is even possible Bailey was scratched exactly as he says, and is still the killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Whoever killed SDP was an animal. They were likely high on something, not thinking straight with some long standing mental issues including an inability to take rejection, were sociopathic, hot-headed and prone to violence.

Bailey fitted perfectly into these categories, and there was no question he should at least have been considered a suspect. Guilt or otherwise is another matter, and that would have been determined in court.

Thomas has said that numerous times including in recent interviews. He was a totally different person when he had a few drinks on him, with the potential at times to be a violent psychopath.

Almost like the real Ian Bailey was unleashed. He refused for example to allow her be brought to hospital after one brutal beating. A complete animal.

In my opinion he was a Jekyl and Hyde type figure when it came to drink/sobriety.

If they were that much out of control, they were very lucky not to leave any forensics at the scene.

If Bailey is that hot headed, where's the reports of him getting into violent scenes in public with alcohol involved i.e. bars etc while in west cork?

No reports of any incidents from women of him getting violent for rejecting a pass either.

Agree it's not even clear to me whether Jules knew

Probably the gardai know more

I believe he killed her obviously is my position

And I could be wrong

Blanket immunity? Another wind up merchant.

More powerful people than him have gone to jail in France, unlike in Ireland where the powerful never go to jail.

As for influence, why couldn't he influence the DPP to prosecute Bailey, or get Bailey extradited before Daniel died, or several other things.

There is no evidence to suggest he and Sophie had anything but a very good relationship, divorce or not. Both remained friends and were making plans for the future.

Given he demanded a new investigation, new leads, and better forensic testing post the DPP closing the case, its daft to suggest he'd try uncover something that would put the spotlight on him.

You don't think there was intense lobbying from France going on of the Irish government on the case to get Bailey put up for trial or extradited?

Daniel in France had home ground advantage so to speak, if he lived in Ireland he could not have gotten away with refusing to meet with Garda detectives about the death of his wife. IS that merely because he was French or because he had some 'clout'?

Yes, those in certain strata of society which seem immune here do end up in jail in France, but typically when they are out of favour.

I never suggested any of that.

The reality is Daniel never seemed to be too fussed over it, did he?

Probably didn't have the time with his younger mistress and couple of small children.

But the fact remains people in France certainly had a motive, and this is where I would have some sympathy with the Irish Guards, they were precluded from opening an investigation into any of them.

Imagine that? A wife is brutally murdered and her Husband and Mistress (very soon after, wife and new mother) are immune from questioning?

I have never heard of another situation like it.

Have you?

• Advertisement

Reading some of Thomas's recent interviews, I feel sorry her but also feel there is a bit of Stockholm Syndrome there. She was tied to this man for 30 years, and of course it would be hard for her to abandon all that, or think he could be possible of this.

She also said, I don't think he did it, unless I'm mistaken. She didn't say he definitely didn't do it and I have evidence.

Might Daniel have said to Sophie on the phone that a friend or relative of theirs was arriving later in the night by taxi, not sure what time but was believed to be delayed, and could she open the door when he’d knock on it 🧐 If she replied “it’s very late to be arriving Daniel, but sure X can come stay over”. And he was able to give the thumbs up for the hitman, maybe staying in Bantry, to come visit. The hitman could have then lured her down away from house by saying something about the gate being stuck half open, and she might have the knack to open it to let the car up.

Is it not clear to you that the "motive" for this crime was the result of mostly a violent instant decision? An opportunist killing I would say, with little planning gone into it.

The idea that Daniel and his assassin mate were in France planning along these lines - "Now start off with the poker, then get the rock, and finish her with the Block".

Do you seriously think that happened?

Apparently Bailey is alleged to have said or written somewhere, that I saw she was running away and I threw a rock at the back of her head. That sounds much more like what happened. Assassins throwing rocks, is this the stone age?

Last week

“Some people get convinced of all sorts of rubbish and I’m not really interested in anything that doesn’t affect me. One thing I know is that he was innocent of it.”

She said this wasn’t a belief but rather something she knew. “I knew he couldn’t have done it,” she said.

I have no idea what happened. Maybe Daniel sent a fixer over to send a message and things got out of hand. Again that is speculation.

But it is an absolute fact a wife was brutally murdered and the Husband and Mistress could not be questioned by the agency investigating the crime.

Have you ever heard of anything like that before?

I'd imagine it's rather unique.

Might help if you engage in a thought experiment to process it. Forget Bailey ever existed.

Yes, I've heard that scenario mentioned on Boards - not sure if it was yourself. It is possible. It would be a way to set it up.

Having said that I'm not inclined to really suspect Daniel even though some of his conduct was remark worthy. Unlike some of the messy divorce \ mistress murder cases in the States which have millions and reputations at stake, this one doesn't seem to have that angle.

Yes Jules did have Stockholm Syndrome as do all people who stay any length of time with abusive partners, hoping they will “improve”. It’s an adaptive behaviour and a survival instinct for when there isn’t any choice, but still people allow themselves to be trapped in relationships they need to leave. Jules would have been convincing herself “well he gets too drunk and can’t control himself when he finds me annoying, but other times he’s fine and he doesn’t mean to do harm”.

That meant in her mind she had to “protect him” and now it she did look back with a great deal of doubt and with clues popping up in her mind, she would feel she’d now have a lot of answering to do to the Gardaí, and after such an awful life with him, it would be too painful now to add salt into those wounds.

She'd likely be facing charges is the issue

I doubt she's stupid

Right, so Daniel was on the phone to her that evening, but decided he wouldn't "pass on a message" and decided to dispatch a fixer to Ireland or hire one over there to pass on the message instead but he rang her to make sure she was home, so the fixer could pass on the message?

Does that sound credible to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭TokTik

In any crime having one rigid story and sticking to it is a lot dodgier than misremembering things. I’d say even more so when you have a very chaotic lifestyle.

Advertisement