Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Shane Meehan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Cork 1-24 Clare 0-24

Really good game for the middle of january , cork probably with a little more work to do going into the league then we do , they had much a stronger side out but were a bit sloppy at times and especially in the second half wastfull in front of goal scoring only 0-8 compared to 1-16 in the first

finally the penny has dropped for lohan that we need to approach these type of games with younger lads , fringe players and players from the development squads , we need to take the same approach to the wexford , waterford and cork games in the league with the same selection policy

a few key starters from last summer and a heavy indulgence of players on the fringes of the panel , and with that selection process set ourselves out to try and win the league , players like mounsey today , meehan last week , keith smyth on both games have been excellent , guys like paddy donnellon and jack kerwin need far more competitive game time as do the younger lads like keelan hartigan and john coneeley from clooney quin we have really good lads coming through , not all have the same level headed approach like hogan and rodgers that can seamlessly take to intercounty hurling like they did last year

in the game its self , int he first half shane kingston and conor lehane were top quality scoring some excellent scores , lehans goal early in the game turned out to be the difference in the end , aidan mccarthy was excellent on frees for us today i dont think he missed any maybe 1 from placed balls , its that type of ratio we need later on in the year he scored 13 in total 10 from placed balls but given the recurrence of his soft tissue injuries we need to be working either smyth or rodgers to be the replacement free taker come championship , personally i think smyth would be the better option but wouldn't be close to Rodgers in open play

it will be interesting to see whit type of team lohan goes for in 3 weeks time when the same teams meet again ,i imagine cork will be similar to today , if ben o connor is available i am sure he will start as will darragh fitzgibbon , but i think we should stick to the guns here and give the fringe of the 40 man panell the keys for the next 2 months in the league

clare scores

Aidan McCarthy (0-13, 10 frees);

Robin Mounsey (0-4);

Cian Barron, (0-2)

Keith Smyth (0-2 );

Cathal Malone, (0-1)

Killian O’Connor, (0-1)

Colm O’Meara (0-1 ).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

How did David Tuohy (Clarecastle) get on?

I assume won’t be on the panel once it’s whittled down from the 50

who is gone in instead , the only person i could think of would be bruisier , don't tell me they want fergie back

seems strange they wanted him gone , he's a sound bloke and seems to have done an excellent job with them up to now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Isn't Ben O'Connor gone to Munster? Is it Cunningham you mean?

you are 100% right ben cunninghan it is sorry , o connor played for munster only a couple of weeks ago

okay , was off the pace a bit at times , i wouldn't give up on him long term but he will probably be an extended panelist at best , but he should be given more game time later on in the league and not just against offaly , there were a few moments that went against him today but tried hard

even john conneely looked off the pace the other night and he looks a real prospect in general

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

well that's a fair replacement to bring in , i still feel his hands were tied slightly when he was minor manager in 2019 , i honestly think he done an excellent job with that minor team

he must have been involved with the underage setups so in clooney the last few years , the younger lads have been impressive at senior level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Bugler and Corbett's involvement in recent minor and U20 teams should mean that any young players who deserves a chance will get it.

Despite 2 defeats from 2 in the Munster League, it still felt like a very useful exercise. And I'm very curious to see the line-up v Cork in the league opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Yeah 100% . Bugler and Corbett can bring that underage player knowledge and enthusiasm to the senior set up. Like I keep saying there isn't much wrong in the set up. We have gone toe to toe with the best and came up just short.The question my father asked me is 'Will Lohan listen to any of the selectors during the match?'. On past evidence he won't. It's all a learning process I guess but 2024 has the feeling of 'if not this year,when?'.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jamesconlan85

Niall Murphy will be the big threat for Sligo at the weekend. A huge physical presence it will be interesting to see who Clare mark him up with whoever it will be will have their hands full

No easy games in Division 3.

We'll probably have a fair idea after the first two games as to whether we have any promotion possibilities. But even at this point it's hard to see us finishing above Westmeath or Down.

Clare’s 2024 Division 3 National Football League schedule 

Jan 28th: Clare v Sligo

Feb 4th: Westmeath v Clare

Feb 18th: Offaly v Clare

Feb 25th: Clare v Wicklow

March 2nd: Limerick v Clare

March 17th: Clare v Antrim

March 24th: Down v Clare

Final on March 30th

No easy games I imagine but I don't see us as relegation candidates, Limerick are missing 17 from what was an already disjointed team last year, it's going to be a struggle for Wicklow too especially with mark Jackson gone off to the NFL combine in America

The game Sunday is very winnable in my opinion, I don't think there will be a huge amount in it , the 4 games against Offaly, Limerick, Wicklow and Antrim are the games In which I think we will pick up points in Offaly away could be tough but it's hard to judge them at times they always have descent players in their side but can be very hit and miss

I think ourselves, Offaly and sligo will all fancy having an outside chance at promotion, the big question mark hangs over Down, they have enough of a pick and enough talent in their county to be a division 1 team and comfortable division 1

But they seem a disjointed county , there's a club divide up there too with kilkoo and a few other clubs, the debacle in the down county final shows it's still in existence

Westmeath will surely get promoted this year especially after putting in some excellent performances against Tyrone Armagh and Galway last year they will surely go up

Niall Murphy and Sean carribine are quality footbers , they gave plenty of the under 20s from last year a run out against an almost full strength Roscommon team in the FBD League and didn't disgrace themselves,

I am more interested to see what type of defensive system we set up with rather than man marking, if we get that side of things right we should be very competitive for the year ahead

Clare 0-9 Sligo 1-05

Sligo finished this game with 13 men but had a chance to level it 5 minutes into stoppage time , when sean carribine slipped when shooting from just outside the clare 45

sligo struggled to break clare down through out the game as clare brought 14 men back behind the ball and tried to set up counter attacks on the break , mark mcinerney missed a penalty half way through the second half along with a host of chances could have us out of sight with 5 or 10 minutes to go , the absence of the bulk of last years forwards and midfield was showing up all day and we struggled in front of goal

ha huge win none the less for the younger lads that have been drafted in , at the moment dermot coughlin , emmett mcmahon and aaron griffen are our main forwards we cant afford anything to happen them , we need to show a lot more composure in front off goal going forward

Clare Scorers

Emmett Mcmahon 0-5

Aaron Griffen 0-2

Mark Mcinerney 0-1

Dermot Coughlin 0-1

as you must know all about , ye have had far more changes , but in 2021 we played mayo in a playoff for division 1 the following week we lost to kerry in a munster semi final , only the goalkeeper today played in them games back in the day today , we seriously lacked any sort of attack ,

both counties have a different code to worry about but we still have a tradition to up hold

I think that was an important win, and indeed it could easily have gone the other way.

2 points on the board gives great validation for the new management and new players, that they are doing something right. Eases any worries of possible relegation so they can hopefully now have a right off cut off Westmeath next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭KIB4Life

Ah yeah the defence and backs are fairly solid enough especially when you consider that Cillian Brennan and Cillian Rouine have to come back into the reckoning, also Einne O’Connor very good option to come off the bench.

Also I’d say we are reasonably strong around the middle Gavin Murray seems a decent player and Brian Mac is an outstanding talent. I also rate James Curran and Tom McDonald as two very promising players, then when you factor that Darragh Bohannan has to come back as well who should be more then a match for the teams in Division3 around this year.

Yeah I’d agree that our forward unit is struggling at the moment, a lot of younger players there and less experienced players who are finding it hard to gel together at the moment. 9 points is not going to win you much games so hopefully there can be improvement in their shooting and forward play.

This might be slight hyperbole '2 points on the board gives great validation for the new management and new players, that they are doing something right'

One win, while it is nice - Clare played against 14 men for 30 mins (6 of those 14 on 14 in fairness) and 13 men for 7 mins (including added time) against a team that was promoted last year. It was shaky but you're right that they're doing 'something right'. They had a favourites tag going into this game though so I still think there's better valdiation available than this match.

Away to Westmeath will be really tough - but I think away to Offaly is a true barometer. If losing there it's concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Treble double

Defensive and midfield options should be fine in this division. Keeper is solid. The attack is a worry, very little direct running threat in there. I feel Cormac Murray could become our most dangerous forward out of what is available. It is important not to slip down to div 4 while at the same time getting experience in to some of these players. I think Brian Mac will need a good year of intercounty football before he gets into his own. We need to get wins against Wicklow and Limerick to keep us safe, wins will be hard got after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭KIB4Life

We don’t have much of a kicking game either a lot of the time. Also can’t really remember us getting too many marks over the last few years even when we had a much better team and forward line. But surely that is something that teams should be working on, it’s a free shot at goal and it only has to be a 20 metre kick surely Clare should be trying that tactic a bit.

Post edited by KIB4Life on

I don't think there would be much difference between us and Offaly, in fact they beat us up there the year we got promoted in 2016 and we had a much stronger team back then

That's why last week was crucial to get off the mark early , if we happen to lose a few games on the road we would still have that cushion before the Wicklow game at home

Agreed that there isn't much difference between both teams - That's why I think it's a big telling point to see where both teams are at. I agree, the win last week was massive for Clare. Gives a safety blanket of sorts.

The Munster senior hurling final venue will work on a rotational basis when Clare and/or Waterford contest it.

The Munster Council endorsed the existing home-away agreements between Cork, Limerick, and Tipperary, while alternating the stadium when one or both of the two other participating counties are involved.

Following a draw, it was agreed Semple will be the first choice followed by Páirc Uí Chaoimh and Gaelic Grounds.

That means that if Clare or Waterford draw each other or they are pitted against Cork or Limerick in a decider, the game will be played in Thurles. Should Clare or Waterford qualify in the top two with Tipperary, the match will go to Cork.

Should a neutral final be played in Páirc Uí Chaoimh this year, Thurles followed by Limerick will be venue options for a similar decider in 2025. Clare’s plan for a specific venue when they and/or Waterford make the final was not supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jamesconlan85

Westmeath will be a very tough task this weekend. Ray Connellan you would expect will dominate midfield and I worry about Alan Sweeney at Centre Back on Ronan O Toole. Ciaran Downes for me also not producing club form at intercounty level if he gets the nod he needs a big game James Curran must feel unlucky not to be starting instead of Ciaran. Joe McGann if and when he comes back will be a big plus to have him inside with Aaron Griffin. Jaime Stack is longer term out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

A Clare v Waterford munster final could be in Limerick ,Cork or Thurles depending on tbe year. And a Clare v Limerick Munster final has a roughly 50% chance being in Cork on any given year. Not a great outcome for the Banner.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Well it's a bit ridiculous that they go by a rota rather than by geography.

e.g. a Clare-Tipp final should be in Limerick, not Cork

Do they not consider fans at all any more ? Why unnecessarily add extra distance and time

Advertisement