Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I never mentioned gni.

Cool. So where is your made up figure coming from? It is poor form to throw out random figures without any remote backup of where they came from.

I have no idea who the IPA are, but if they equate lower GDP per capita with individuals being poorer then they are economically illiterate.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

Unprecedented population increase from abroad, unprecedented capacity crises ensue.

Those capacity crises are traded off against what?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you are blaming "mass migration" then I assume you are talking about the people who have entered Ireland to work?

Can I ask who you believe would be doing that work without these people? Without these workers, the level of FDI will be miniscule and the economy will suffer as a result.

Take the tens of thousands of foreigners working in the tech sector, without them we dont have the Twitters, Googles, Facebooks and the thousands of other multi-nationionals you havent even heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

I think you assume wrong. Migration has occurred across a spectrum of different methods and skill levels/types. Workers deemed essential and who can’t be sourced in Ireland could still be covered by something like the “critical skills employment permit”.

that doesn’t mean though that we need to keep adding 100k people to the population every year, as happened last year.

• Advertisement

So can you please clarify that you are specifically excluding the people who came to Ireland to work?

IT workers aren't and will never be "critical skills employment" and these workers already have to get Visas to live and work in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Francis McM

When we Irish went overseas we worked for our living and did not live on handouts.

There are many many hotels full of immigrants in this country where the car park if full of cars ( a lot of the nice Ukranian SUVs etc ) and where a lot of them flew home for Christmas holidays. And some I know go to the Canaries.

There are many Irish people working hard for decades and who never got handouts and who would really struggle to stay in hotels or go on holidays.

Anyway back on topic, I think most people can see that houses cannot be built in Dublin for 400k, never mind 300k, so SFs claim to want house prices to fall to 300k is not going to happen...unless there was the mother of all recessions, which would mean hundreds of thousands emigrating like after the last crash etc. A big recession like that would not affect politicians pay or pensions, they would not be the ones to suffer.

Most people can see through un-costed and un-worked out pre-election slogans like "average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark", so no wonder SF is down 5% (or whatever) in the polls.

I don't think the people living in hotels are driving up house prices too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

To be fair when i started out my career I rented a shared room in a house, then i rented a single room for a couple of years. Then rented with my partner. Now that we are engaged and we are both making more money we were planning on moving to our own apartment to rent but instead we have saved up enough money and are now buying. The wedding can come later.

People dont just start their career and on day one have enough money to buy a place of their own.

If I was a nurse or a garda starting on €35k I would be renting a single room share and collecting the rental credit til i earned more. If i couldnt earn more in that job i would switch to a better career where i could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I was answering the other posters points / comments / questions about immigration, welfare.

In some areas , 30 to 50% of hotel spaces are taken with immigrants, paid by the government. This has a knock on effect on the economy. Also, it increased the demand - and prices - for air b'n b, so you find some properties being taken out of the normal rental market and doing air b'n b for tourists instead : tourists who would otherwise have gone to the hotels.

Many things have unintended consequences.

• Advertisement

That's how the rest of us did, but the current crop seem to think that they are entitled to a 3 bed semi in a nice part of Dublin just out of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Not all migrants are created equal. Its a deliberate political tactic to lump them all under the one umbrella as beneficial financially, but in reality there are huge differences in the impact different nationalities have on the Irish economy.

If you set the very real housing crisis aside the unemployment rate for French or Swedish immigrants for example, at under 7% in the last CSO statistics from 2016, would agree fully with you. They do add to the economy.

With an unemployment rate of 63% for Congolese, 45% for Saudi Arabians, or 43% for Nigerian immigrants they most certainly aren't helping the economy - they're a massive financial drain.

Its completely logical and reasonable to be in favour of letting in more migrants who actually work here, while being against letting in those who don't. Especially during this housing crisis.

The 20k a year asylum seekers, by and large, are almost all in the latter not financially beneficial to the state camp. People entering the country with essential skills, like Philipino nurses or Indian workers in the tech sector, get visas to come here legally. Nobody is calling for a clamp down on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Lots of Irish people on social welfare with houses handed to them, big SUVs and annual holidays in the Canaries. It is not about the immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Aside from those involved in organised crime, who run the constant risk of having their assets seized off them, exactly how many Irish people do you know who are on social welfare who are going about driving gas guzzling SUV's?

Honestly.

Even gangsters who drive SUV's are not generally on the dole, to justify their expenses they usually have to claim they have some sort of day job, typically in construction, taxi driving, 2nd hand cars, dog/ race pigeon breeding, or that the missus runs some sort of successful cash business (hair, beauty, dog grooming)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I remember a few years back, before we had kids at school we done a Lanzarote holiday at school time. really cheap.

Anyway on way back a huge group with kids etc. We got delayed so had to hang around for a few hours, they hit the bar. From what was been said because it wasn't quiet. None of them had jobs, they did it yearly to Lanzarote in Jan when flights are cheap. Biggest concern was not having the kids in school but sure nothing would be done.

From living in an area close to a social area in Dublin, most will have side jobs. A lot will do child minding etc for cash in hand. As one lady said to me once, its not really a secret but the government don't want to shut them down as trying to find spot for children would be impossible.

When you see all the "man in a white van" and "rubbish collection" you know thats side jobs

Removing all the migrants would have 0 impact on FDI?

Try hiring in IT at the moment and come back to us.

"direct threat to our culture" Ah, you are one of them. 'nuff said, no point in trying logic against a zealot.

Of the 1,009 Congolese in Ireland in April 2016, 527 persons were in the labour force and 333 were unemployed giving them an unemployment rate of 63.2 per cent, the highest of any group.

Yeah, those 333 Congolese in 2016 are really crippling us. Almost as bad as the 500 odd Saudi Arabians.

Think of the thousands of unemployed Irish being held back be these 833 selfish bastards.

They were two example nationalities. Some individual countries might be relatively small numbers, but they all add up quickly. I also see you've deliberately ignored the third nationality I mentioned, Nigerians, to make your point. The 21,000 Nigerian people (with a 43% unemployment rate) don't suit your narrative? Or the 15,000 Pakistani people, with an unemployment rate of 34%?

We have literally tens of thousands of non-Irish nationals unemployed here, adding nothing to the state, being a large financial drain, and taking up housing. What benefit are they to the state during a housing crisis, when every house is needed?

As of 2017 (and these figures have only climbed since) 32% of the Dublin City council housing list was foreign born. 35% of the South Dublin council housing list was foreign born. Fingal county council stop releasing figures on this when it hit 50% foreign born in 2011, but its undoubtedly higher now.

How is that reasonable, the Irish state spending huge amounts of tax payer euros to house large numbers of immigrants? And even worse, doing so when there are 15,000 homeless Irish people, including 5000 Irish children?

80% of the Irish population wants a reduction in asylum seekers. And according to the Irish Times poll today its now the #1 issue for Irish voters. For just these reasons. Anyone (and apparently almost everyone) can see we need to reduce numbers admitted dramatically until the housing crisis is resolved.

The 20,000 asylum seekers forecast to arrive in Ireland in 2024 will require almost 8,000 housing units just to house them. And billions of euros. Thats a huge percentange of our housing output, that we could very easily re-allocate elsewhere if we just controlled the border.

Long way to go until you get to the 136K Unemployed Irish, who don't have to struggle with moving to a foreign country and learning a new language all while trying to find employment.

But yeah, the 10's of thousands are holding the 136K thousand back.

You stick to your big, bad foreigner narrative.

More than half of every nationality you cared to mention are contributing to the welfare of those 136K unemployed Irish.

Who said anything about holding anyone back?

I've made three points:

• We have tens of thousands of non-Irish nationals arriving illegally every year, large numbers of whom aren't working (ie, costing the state money).
    • Those tens of thousands of non-Irish nationals are also occupying thousands of Irish houses every year (projected to be circa 8,000 in 2024 alone), at a time of the worst housing crisis in the history of the state, when we have no houses to spare.
    • The Irish state is also granting very large numbers of non-Irish nationals social housing, at a time when thousands of Irish people are homeless.

All at a cost of billions of euros to Irish tax payers, many of whom are suffering from the cost of living crisis.

Why should we continue doing this, when its making the quality of life worse for every Irish person?

Denmark has shown its completely possible to be in the EU, to follow our "legal obligations", and yet reduce the numbers of asylum seekers by 90%. By just actually controlling your borders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's quite revealing that when it comes to the housing list you concentrate your blame on the minority but when it comes to the 'homeless' figures suddenly they are all Irish.

I assume you extend your Mrs Lovejoying to children in sheltered accommodation who are non Irish as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

You can say there are 136,000 unemployed Irish people or you could say Ireland has a 4.8% unemployment rate i.e 95.2% of Irish people are working. The other poster is showing nationalities here that have sub 50% employment rates, some even below 40%.

You can try obfuscate all you want but percentages and per capita are important.

95.2% of Irish people are quite obviously not working.

The CSO does not break down to the level of every country, but the highest unemployment rate is "no citizenship" at 18.4% followed by "Africa" at 15.4% (a stonking 3211 people in total I might add).

Not working is not the same as unemployed.

Are you saying the CSO is lying that Ireland has an unemployment rate of 4.8%?

It's unfortunate they don't break it down by country. I bet it varies widely country to country. Even just as an average, it would mean Africans as a whole have 3x the unemployment rate of Irish people.

What is no citizenship do you know?

I'm saying plenty of people not working are not counted as unemployed. Not working and unemployed are not the same thing. Husbands/Wives who choose to stay at home with family are not unemployed, they are just not working.

There are 3211 people of African nationality unemployed. It would literally be impossible for 21,000 Nigerian people to have a 43% unemployment rate.

I do not know what "no citizenship" is no. Potentially refugees who have lost their prior citizenship.

Yes obviously. That's how countries calculate the unemployment rate. They're not going to count children and people with disabilities. Ireland is currently at 4.8%. You've stated no citizenship and Africa are at 3-4 times this (and if they did release it per country there would be ones there that are 6,7,8+ times that amount.

Also, imagine arriving at a country seeking refuge and when they take you in and ask where you are from saying "nowhere".

They are also not going to count people who simply aren't trying to find work, like some spouses. They are also clearly not at this utterly ridiculous 40 odd% that another poster is claiming though, especially not 43% of 21k people. They haven't a clue how unemployment figures are calculated clearly.

It is not that surprising that immigrants have a higher unemployment rate. Often this will also be a case of family members trying to find work and failing. The unemployment rate for foreigner spouses in Switzerland is quite poor for this reason for example.

Also, imagine arriving at a country seeking refuge and when they take you in and ask where you are from saying "nowhere".

I know no details, but one plausible scenario here is that they simply had their citizenship stripped by nations who care not for international law against such things.

Fair enough. I didn't feel the need to state they don't count people who can't and don't want to work in the unemployment rate.

I agree that it could be expected some immigrants will find it hard to find work. I also expect the rate of unemployment between different countries to vary drastically. 3-5x the native unemployment rate is alarming going by your figures.

I think your plausible scenario probably happens but I imagine the majority of asylum seekers that we state have no citizenship here have not had their citizenship stripped. I could be wrong. It's part of the problem with how the government release information on these topics. That data could be a lot clearer with better context.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Can anyone explain to me what the Congolese have to do with Mary Lou pulling a housing figure out of her backside?

• Advertisement

The CSO quite literally breaks specifically unemployment (not "not working") rates down to the level of every country, thats where I pulled my figures directly from.

Including, as I quoted, unemployment rates of 63% for Congolese, 45% for Saudi Arabians, 43% for Nigerians, 34% for Pakistanis etc

Why would you even attempt to spread complete lies like that?

Advertisement