Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Ireland's uncontrolled, unvetted mass immigration means that we have no idea which extremists are coming here and that's concerning especially with the rise of extremism across Europe

as pointed out yourself, a large majority of these more recent attacks come from second generation immigrants. So, the rise in Islamic terrorism in the last 24ish years needs to be looked at in a much wider context.

Earlier attacks were much more planned, group attacks, mostly using bombs. This hasn't been the case for almost ten years, it's now the Lone wolf style attack that is common. This doesn't lead us to believe that it is a large organised terrorist group, more as defined by Europol, ''a violent ideology exploiting traditional Islamic concepts"

Policing is very important when it comes to terrorism, as you can appreciate Lone Wolf style attacks, by individuals who have become radicalised either through meeting other extremists, or by themselves online, is extremely difficult. How do we predict the future?

It's a process of intelligence and information, which includes the assistance of the Muslim community, and domestic and international policing resources. What we want in Ireland is for people to feel at home, feel part of the community. When that happens, they feel protective of their community, far more likely to pass information or even worries about someone to authorities.

society, wants that to happen in all communities for all crimes, obviously.

look at why young men become involved in terrorism, it's pretty much the same underlying factors, no matter what the belief system. There are many studies around why people become terrorists, I don't have time to link any right now, but one factor is a lot are dissociated young men. Nothing to do, unemployed etc

Trying to stop that, is society and governments place, don't allow young people to be left behind. Immigrants into Ireland, all immigrants, need to take educational classes, English language classes and basic knowledge of Irish society, how to get educated, train for a trade, etc etc

In general, Lone Wolf style attacks are extremely difficult to predict, obviously by their very nature. Trying to equate Muslims with Islamic terrorism is lazy, there are many more factors then just someone being Muslim. As we saw ourselves with the IRA, it wasn't just because they were Irish Catholics.

Vetting is all well and good, if someone has some previous conviction or intelligence about Islamic terrorism written down somewhere. It doesn't predict the future however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I absolutely did not say it was second generation immigrants that carried out the majority of these attacks. I never mentioned terrorist attacks. You must be confusing me with another poster. Terrorism is one issue but it's not the only one

I agree with you that more needs to be done to integrate all immigrants and that's another reason why Ireland's immigration policy is disastrous and not fit for purpose.

And yes vetting only goes so far but at the moment it's literally nothing. We've had criminals come from the UK and Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I'd be much more worried about the rise of wokism and the crowd who thinks everyone coming into the country (a vast majority unchecked ) are not going to be a threat amongst Irish people

We always have criminals from the UK and EU, they have free travel, we don't know who they are and they are not vetted.

• Advertisement

Yes you're right, I'm referring to immigrants who have come from the UK and EU with their documents destroyed. Which absolutely does happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

It was the second generation because the first generation didn't integrate.

Yes it does.

What events in Europe in the last decade were you referring to?

The poster I asked said that they didn't mention anything about terrorism or terrorist attacks, so I am wondering exactly what they are referring to.

I am aware of all terrorist attacks in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Or weren't allowed to integrate in some cases? Integration is a two way process - there is as much onus on the host country to help its new citizens assimilate. The most peaceful and settled countries are the ones where the two sides have reached out to each other. When you hear of ghettoes and the like, the suspicion would be that the host country is not particularly good at welcoming or integrating its new citizens.

• Advertisement

You incorrectly attributed something that was said to me: "as you said yourself, the majority of these attacks are carried out by second generation immigrants". I was simply telling you that I did not say that nor did I mention terrorism and that you must be confusing me with another poster. Plenty other examples of extremism, such as FGM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There is a certain willful ignorance about so much discussion on immigration. Ireland isn't the first country to deal with it. And it's very clear that integration of Muslim immigrants can be very, very difficult. Not acknowledging this is pointless and unnecessarily divisive. Another clear fact is that large scale immigration is going to put pressure on housing. When people deny this they are being disingenuous. When people deny things that are obviously true it only increases division.

Oh totally 100% this. "Yeah but the far right" "yeah, but the Catholic Church", "yeah but Hinduism can also be extreme", the stubborn refusal to admit the challenges is so frustrating. History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes

BS. They aren't willing to integrate and you know it, they want to keep their culture including their barbaric customs like FGM, honor killings and incestuous arranged marriages.

There was a far left politician who claimed that Yusef Palani's homophobia was formed and radicalised in Ireland. This is how much some people will bend over backwards and twist themselves into a pretzel to deny the challenges that may be faced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

And why aren't we talking about honor killings, caste discrimination, acid attacks and arranged marriages carried out by people from Hindu cultures, as have occurred in the UK?

To me there's two possible reasons for this.

1) It's easier to portray Muslims as bogeymen, based on media portrayals of terrorism.

2) Muslims are more likely to arrive as IP in Ireland, making them an easier target for bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Immigration is now the top issue for voters. Despite almost every politician and journalist telling us how great it all is.

Also we have corporation tax to pay the billions required for the refugee industry at the moment. Doubtful whether that continues in the medium term. Who pays them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You really have a bee in your bonnet about Hinduism. I thought you said that the numbers were about the same in Ireland? Anyway, for the thousandth time we haven't seen the same levels of extremism with Hindu immigration. If or when we do it will be discussed just as much

That I can see nobody here is trying to deny or defend what has happened in isolated cases amongst Muslim immigrants.

It just shows that your arguments about the 'dangers' of Islam as a pile of bs, when you don't apply the same criteria to other groups.

It's a pretty common tell-tale sign of an invalid or disingenuous argument if logic isn't applied consistently.

That and you the fact you won't come out and say what your problem with muslim migration is. You're being vague and shifting around the issue, the best I can gather is it's something to do with terrorist incidents but not entirely.

• Advertisement

But we have seen similar levels of terrorist threat from the far-right, especially in the last five years.

And here's some research on incidence of honor killings among Muslim, Hindu and Sikh in the UK.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262895480_Honour_Killings_in_the_UK_Communities_Adherence_to_Tradition_and_Resistance_to_Change

I actually received a mod warning for listing what I think are the dangers of Islam ideology. So please forgive me if I'm coming across as vague

Ok then I would be very worried about anyone who believes in honour killings or any kind of extremism. Does that really need to be said?

No, quoted your post in which you describe events that happened in Europe in the last decade, and the rise of extremism. If you are not referring to terrorism then what events ?

And how are you quantifying Islamic extremism?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And there are several of those willfully divisive voices here, constantly hammering away the same points, spinning the government line. But I and I'm sure many others have received warnings for challenging them and questioning their agendas.

What will be, will be though and the government will take the hit in elections this year and if things continue as they are, on the streets. That's where division manifests itself sooner or later.

We should, and I actually did see caste discrimination happening, and it was among doctors and engineers. We should talk about every negative aspect of importing third world culture and we should keep talking about it until we stop importing third world culture.

You literally attributed something to me that I hadn't said 'as you said yourself' and then you went on to say something I had not said

There have been countless examples given on this thread, both related to terrorism and not. I've mentioned FGM as a non terrorist example of extremism. If you want to live in cloud cuckoo land that's your prerogative

• Registered Users Posts: 23,753 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

When people deny things that are obviously true it only increases division.

I don’t agree with that at all, it’s when people make claims that obviously aren’t true, in an attempt to increase division, that division increases.

Integration of Muslim immigrants just to take one example isn’t difficult at all, they’ve been integrated into Irish society for decades and you wouldn’t know they were Muslim unless you asked them directly and they answered in the affirmative.

‘Large scale immigration’ can be as vague as anyone making the point needs it to be in order to claim that it puts pressure on housing, yet the vast majority of large scale immigration isn’t Muslims, it isn’t even immigrants, but returning emigrants, Irish citizens, who left and are now returning from other countries. Typical example in this morning’s Irish Independent of a returning emigrant who found that the grass isn’t always greener abroad, is now back and renting in Dublin:

https://archive.ph/nCkL3

The ‘large scale immigration’ argument in terms of wilful ignorance also tends to ignore emigration figures which mean a decrease in the pressure on housing:

Emigration and immigration have played key roles in shaping the Ireland of today. Census 2022 put the population of Ireland at more than 5.1 million, its highest point in more than 171 years. Interestingly, the number of immigrants, or those entering the State in the year to April 2023, was estimated to be 141,600, while the number of emigrants, or those leaving the State, over the same period was estimated at 64,000. These combined flows gave positive net migration (more people arriving than leaving), of 77,600 in the year to April 2023, compared with 51,700 in the previous year.

The number of immigrants in the year to April 2023 was the highest since the year to April 2007 and consisted of 29,600 returning Irish nationals, 26,100 other EU nationals, 4,800 UK nationals, and 81,100 other nationals including Ukrainians.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-ieu50/irelandandtheeuat50/society/migration/

It’s not just housing in any case, but long before increased immigration the Government were aware that there needed to be significant increased investment in public services, but they didn’t want to increase investment in public services because that would have meant increased taxation which would have made any political party unpopular (no political party, to the best of my knowledge, has ever been elected on the promise that they would increase taxes!). Just checked and nope, it’s not an election winner:

https://www.thejournal.ie/taxes-parties-4991584-Feb2020/

The problem isn’t housing per se, it’s an inability to afford housing, for some people among the population. It’s also an inconvenient fact for people holding increased immigration responsible for increasing pressure on housing, that Ireland has one of the highest rates of home ownership among the over-40s in Europe. They also tend to ignore the fact that Ireland has significant rental supports for people on low incomes who are renting, and it’s middle to high-income earners who struggle with affordability:

Close to 80 per cent of people over the age of 40 in Ireland own their home, according to the report, yet barely a third of adults younger than 40 are homeowners.

It found that on average Irish households pay one fifth of their net income on rent or mortgage, ranking sixth.

The think tank said extensive rental supports here have sheltered lower income households from more significant affordability pressures.

Rents in the Republic have surged in recent years. The standardised average rent for new tenants increased by about one-fifth between the end of 2019 and end of 2022, according to the Residential Tenancies Board.

Commenting on the report, author Rachel Slaymaker of the ESRI said: "While elsewhere in Europe rising affordability pressures have been primarily concentrated amongst the lowest income rental households, in Ireland extensive rental supports have mitigated the effects for these households.

"However, in the market price rental sector, affordability pressures remain elevated and middle-to-higher income renters in Ireland face greater affordability pressures than similar households in Europe."

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-young-people-being-squeezed-out-of-home-ownership-research-finds-1504501.html

It’s just much easier to incorporate misleading information into one’s world view when the foundations are already established by what they perceive to be true, rather than actually being open to establishing the truth of anything for themselves, because that takes more time and effort than they’re actually willing or bothered to make. It’s easier to accept the lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not really because you dismiss far right extremism that seeks to denigrate all muslims

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement