Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I replied to a post of yours asking why you think it's not possible to be worried about both

The rise of the far right did not come out of nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yemen, a county that has slave markets today

And pirates. But aren't all cultures equal?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,753 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What sort of culture allows an 11 year old to marry a 40+ year old?

Many cultures recognise marriage between adults and children, it’s by no means limited to any one particular religion, and in the country where it’s most prominent, the majority are Hindus hoping to escape a life of poverty:

Religion is often blamed for the prevalence of child marriage. Notably, however, the practice is not unique to any one faith; in fact, it occurs across religions and regions. For example, in India, where 40 percent of the world’s known child brides reside, child marriage is prevalent among both Muslims and Hindus. In Burkina Faso and Ethiopia, child marriage is practiced by Christians and Muslims alike. An analysis by the International Center for Research on Women found that what is constant across countries with high child marriage rates is not adherence to one particular faith, but rather factors such as poverty and limited education opportunities for girls.

The prevalence of child marriage varies greatly even among countries that incorporate religious doctrine into their legal systems. Some Muslim-majority countries, for example, that integrate Sharia law, such as Libya and Algeria, have relatively low rates of child marriage. In other countries that practice Sharia law, such as Yemen, the practice is rampant.

https://www.cfr.org/blog/child-marriage-and-religion-0

What do you mean ‘not all Muslims do these vile acts’? The vast, vast majority of Muslims do not do these vile acts. It’s your attempt to associate child marriage with one particular religion, and it’s interesting that you ask what sort of culture allows this. You’ve obviously read the article you linked to where it’s pointed out that in Afghanistan marrying children is illegal:

During her stay in Afghanistan, it consistently struck American photographer Stephanie Sinclair how many young girls are married to much older men. She decided to raise awareness about this topic with her pictures. Particularly as the official minimum age for brides in Afghanistan is sixteen and it is therefore illegal to marry children.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Can't they just take a photocopy scan of every passport of every passenger boarding a flight to Dublin airport, and load it to a database. Then no need to take their passports. They just look at the digital copy of the passport on arrival.

No passport, no entry into the country. It should be as simple as that (with the exception of those fleeing war torn countries)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

What are our agendas then? I asked you a number of times already. You never answered. What makes you so special that makes you think your views can’t be challenged or questioned? I can only speak for myself, I’ve never even voted for any of the parties currently in power, never mind pursuing an agenda on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yes, I attributed a sentence about attacks to you when it was another poster that said it, I'm sorry.

Now I quoted your post where you spoke of events in Europe in the last decade and of the rise in Islamic extremism. You said you didn't mention terrorist attacks, if you didn't mean terrorism, that what did you mean?

If you cannot explain or quantify the rise in Islamic extremism, then there isn't much point in discussing Islam.

I would imagine there are gdpr issues with sharing that personal information with authorities.

Even police can't just get that sort of information unless it's in relation to a criminal investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

This is routinely ignored on here.

It's almost like there was some major global event whereby global travel was restricted for 2 years and then the reopening of many corridors followed by the invasion of a European county by a huge military and nuclear power has caused an inevitable mushrooming of the numbers of people claiming asylum or emigrating. It's almost like that might explain how a right wing British government whose very rise to power was based on controlling borders has had trouble, well, controlling its borders

But no, the clear logical path of causation between all these things is lazy and what Ireland is experiencing is purely down to policy choices of Varadkar, O'Gorman, McEntee and their puppeteers: NGOs and snowflakes.

I would agree, that seems to be a minefield. We know there's an issue with passports being destroyed deliberately, it was even reported on in the Irish Times in an interview with a Georgian national who admitted that he destroyed his documents before coming here. (Although the article was deleted). If Irish immigration aren't going to be strict, I don't see why the airlines would be

It really is up to Irish immigration/ border control to have tighter controls. For anyone who destroys their documents mid flight, they shouldn't be given entry, it's that simple. Again, I'm not talking about those fleeing war torn countries who don't have documents

• Advertisement

I never said anything about them sueing.

GDPR regs will stop airlines from sharing that information.

I pointed out that those exemptions, for police, can only be as part of criminal investigations.

Now, if they could find some way around those issues, the airlines could do an awful lot more.

So those genuinely fleeing war torn countries ( would you consider countries with government coups, or changes in government, that can be dangerous for some) can enter without documents, as asylum seekers.

And how do you ascertain which People without documents are fleeing from what country? Considering they can tell you anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The majority of people outside of Ukrainians aren't actually fleeing anything,the majority are economic migrants abusing the asylum process

I don't know. All I know is that the current system isn't working the way it should and is open for abuse

Exactly. Why is there such a high number coming from Georgia, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

No, its called self preservation.

If Muslims ever get to enough numbers to dominate their host country then its women who will lose their rights first, always always, always.

Your naiviety in the face of this threat leads me to think you dont have daughters or grand daughters.

Those of us who do are very afraid of the increased numbers of single non national men in our towns snd villages and we most definitely dont want centre big enough to contain thousands of these men.

There isnt a single community in the country willing to accept this no matter how much bribes the govt offer.

And I couldnt care less what you call me, if something is likely to negatively affect my daughters then i want limits put on it.

I dont believe the numbers quoted re those claiming asylum either, I think there are thousands more coming inyo the country and no know knows who they are or where they are.

Spend anytime in the city centre and its clear the numbers of non national has grown enormously.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Georgian ambassador was saying this morning he says they are coming here to work and they can earn multiples of what they would earn in Georgia he thinks we should give them visas to enter and work

I wouldn't call you anything. Unlike yourself, I tend not to make personal remarks about other posters.

do you have issues with single Irish men, or is it just non nationals? Which ones in particular, because most people cannot tell someone's nationality just by looking at them.

hate to tell you, your daughters and granddaughters are more at risk from the men in their family/relationships then they are from non nationals.

figures have been linked here many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Where exactly have Muslims come to 'dominate their host country' ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Feel free to tell us what a better system would realistically look like.

A system that is not open to abuse from chances is what it should look like

It's a bit dishonest how that last sentence is framed. It does not mean that every woman should start looking at men in her life as a threat to murder them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement