Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Egypt are pretty awful. One player won't win you a tournament anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Look I'm a complete Rafa stan, but he was the one who dragged us into modernity.

Was it perfect? no. Obviously not, but he still brought the club through an absolute shitshow to win the biggest title, and compete for the league and subsequent CLs.

We then had a mixed period of ups and downs, and Klopp took us to another level. I'm not really advocating giving it to Rafa, it's not realistic or probably smart, but I'd love him to get a chance at a club that runs right, after Valencia, he was just putting out fires at Pool, Inter, Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton, and to some degree now at Celta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He could well find himself on Newcastle's shortlist for when they inevitably sack Howe, given how much the fans there love him. Might be a good job for him, though Mourinho feels like the one they'd go for, for his profile as much as his current quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

As long as it's not Graham Potter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭Damien360

Rafa ? His man management style has been said by former players to be really cold. It's the complete opposite to Klopp who has not just players but staff behind him due to his personality. It would serve to disrupt all the good work done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Like I said I'm not really advocating it, outside of my absolute love for the man, I wouldn't think he's close to the top of the list.

But I think that characterisation is unfair, he's an extremely personable individual, but not in the big boisterous way Klopp is. He still blooded youngsters successfully in a way nobody else other than Klopp has, he still gives confidence to players but I guess in a more stoic, utilitarian way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,531 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Salah will bear the brunt of the blame for Egypt going out, already lots of keyboard warriors claiming he faked injury to get out and back to Liverpool. Sad

I don't think that sort of stuff matters quite so much - he obviously knows himself that he was injured and could do nothing about it. Very different to last time, where he was personally involved in their loss to Senegal by going 5th for pens and not getting to take one, and it wrecked his head for the rest of the season. This year he can have no regrets as he could do nothing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭klose

It seems like a lot of AFCON nations seem to think they’ve a divine right to win every game and when they lose there’s a sort of bloodlust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

You've just described the England fan base to a tee, or the Irish egg-ball crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

It aptly describes more than a couple of posters on here too, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

And 99% of the Liverpool and UTD fan base on here. You do log into this forum when we lose or draw, yes?? It can be hilarious some of the opinions.

As bad as if not worse than any of the egg chasing fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I was thinking about this, cos I'm a massive Rafa stan too. There's also a case, albeit one riddled with issues, for giving someone the job for a year and seeing is Klopp still happy with "a normal life" after that. If we'd done that with Kenny in 1991, we'd have gotten 3-4 more years of him at his best instead of Souness. (yes, that would've ultimately only papered over how badly the club was run in the 90s, but we might've gotten another title)

If we're doing that, there are two people who I think would consider it: Ljinders and Rafa. And I take Rafa every day of the week with that choice. I think most Liverpool fans would.

There are risks though:

1) Rafa's post Newcastle record isn't stellar.

2) Rafa is tactically completely different to Klopp. If it worked, he'd have a year of settling into the new system and then we go back to Klopp-ball.

3) Rafa or anyone being manager on an interim basis only undermines their authority.

4) Rafa would take the job only because he'd get his foot in the door and would angle for the job, maybe at a stretch some other role like DoF, permanently.

5) Klopp could still be happy on sabbatical / retirement and someone else could've snapped up Alonso/Emery/Nagelsmann/whomever we want by then.

6) What happens if Rafa goes ahead and wins the league and Klopp does want to come back. (Caveat this likely requires City getting into serious trouble over you know what)

All in all though, a permanent appointment is a better idea and Rafa's just too big a risk as a permanent appointment. At the least, I'd take Alonso or Emery ahead of him.

That's all just me thinking out loud cos I'm bored btw. I know that:

a) It's not really a good idea.

b) Not gonna happen anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

I don’t think Klopp would be the type to go back to a job he’s already done. One of his main concerns is leaving the club in a healthy space to continue after he’s gone, and looking at the squad right now I can see why he would feel that way.

A short term manager would always have the spectre of Klopp hanging over them if it wasn’t going well which would lead to more pressure for him to come back.

I don’t expect to see him at Anfield that much either when he leaves. Obviously he’ll be back in Germany but I think he understands well that his presence would be an unnecessary burden on the new management. The running joke of cutting back to Ferguson in the crowd when United have been abysmal has been hilarious from our side, but really they should have been asking him to keep his distance to allow the club to move on.

I liked the way Klopp said he had no involvement in the selection of a new manager either because there is an entire team behind the scenes who will be working on that. Gives me hope that the transition won’t be as painful as Uniteds.

Just hope whoever the new guy is is given time and understanding. There is no moving away from Klopp without expecting a general drop in performance, the guy is special. Hopefully though we can keep challenging at the top of the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭.red.

Maybe the Conte fanboys from a few seasons ago will get their wish now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rafa we all love but it would be some wallop for the players going from the man management of Klopp to Rafa.

I'm still curious why Ljinders isn't been lined up to replace Klopp, the club mouthpieces have talked him up for years as a potentional successor.

For whatever reason, either the club, or possibly Pep himself, think he's not ready given that Billy Hogan said he wants to pursue a career as manager elsewhere, and the club respect that.

The worry I have with him is he's only had 4-5 months as a manager at NEC Breda where he wasn't brilliant and got sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Based on nothing more than a gut feel, I glad Ljinders will be leaving too. I just don't think it would have worked

And I worship Rafa as much as anyone, but that ship has long sailed

• Advertisement

Thats a small sample count to judge him on. I dunno I just thought they were grooming him to step up, he does some of the media work too like, seems a really good character and we know hes an excellent coach.

While I'm sad to see Klopp go, I'm disappointed were are losing Ljinders too. He had a huge influence on Klopp in changing our style leading to our success. When "The Brain" left, we shifted to a more possesion style.

Ljinders is massively influential. Takes a lot of first team training sessions. Apparently involved in some of the signings too.

It's a shame he's leaving but he'll follow Klopp to his next job I'd imagine.

I'd imagine too he knows its an impossible task to fill his shoes and would be better off building his career.

Anyway Joyce says Alonso or De Zerbi are the names been considered. I like both of them

We know the job Alonso is doing.

De Zerbi topped his group in EL, he lost his midfield in the summer and there hasn't been much drop off in the league, plays attractive football. Can work under a tight structure, seems to have the character to manage a big club too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I think he should be in contention for the job, honestly believe klopp is going to take some time off,the decision seems a quick turnaround from signing contract extension, not that quick but still a u- turn,I wonder if there a health issue/ scare with himself or a family member that led to a rethink on the approach, either way best of luck to him, just seems to have come from no- where,he has been fairly honest in his approach and I believe that his intention is time off.

He’s said there’s nothing like that, he’s just burnt out. He’s super clear and unequivocal in his interview in fairness to him, leaves absolutely no room for conspiracy theories without calling him a liar.

Klopp was going to take a year off after Dortmund too but didn't as he couldn't turn us down.

Who knows what will happen with him.

For selfish reasons I hope he takes a year or two off as he won't be poach our players during the summer !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

VVD leading all the soccer headlines.

I'm not sure what he actually said was as bad as all that but still not the ideal headline going into a big game

• Advertisement

I absolutely expect him to leave, he'll be 33 then and looking for a new challenge, he could have the pick of clubs and wouldn't be a big fee with 12 months left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He doesn't know if he'll be there because he doesn't know if the new manager will be happy to give him another contract.

Fairly simple I'd say.

He'll be 33 when next season starts.

Maybe one more challenge for him?

Would we let him go on a free? If not, what could you sell him for at this stage?

Which clubs would want him as a stopgap?

If I were him, I'd stay as long as we are in CL.

Not really a shock tbf.

He probably has maybe one more top season left in him? Afterwards he's a potential bit part player on massive wages.

Can't be any room for sentiment in these decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,294 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Sorry to nit pick but it's NAC Breda or NEC Nijmegen.

The Vvd stuff is just click bait waffle, he'll be nearing his contract end and there's always uncertainty there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ah yeah, my "so it begins" was more what the cycle of press conference questions and clickbait headlines will be for the rest of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's pure clickbait drivel, the BBC have also been at it.

Van Dijk basically said that he didn't want to talk about what happens when the season ends. He acknowledged that with Klopp and the backroom staff leaving, the club owners have a clean slate for the next iteration of the team and he doesn't know if he will be a part of that.

The headline creators are trying to make it a story but it's nothing.

True but the likelihood given the factors is he will move on.

• Advertisement

Would be confident he'd have given a similar answer if asked the same question a week ago, before he knew about Klopp - same as any player says when they only have a year left on their deal.

Lijnders managed NEC Nijmegen, not NAC Breda. He wasn't sacked, he could have stayed with the club but chose to return to Liverpool when Klopp offered him the position of assistant manager.

He'll move on at some point but the fact remains that he didn't make out that he's considering leaving because Klopp is out the door as the clickbait merchants are attempting to suggest.

Its the same sort of talking in circles like Mane did. Its the right answer though, he is going to say "ya im off too" with 5 months to go

Ultimately it'll all depend on what contract he's offered, same as with Salah, and same as every other player coming towards the last year of their contract, regardless what's going on with managers.

If he gets a contract he likes, he'll stay. If he doesn't, he'll move on either for a fee this summer, or on a free the following summer.

We probably can't give VVd a 3 year deal but I'd hope we wouldn't quibble over 2

• Advertisement

Yeah, would be more than happy with 2 years added on top of his one remaining year. He's a similar sort to Thiago Silva I think, and will age pretty well. Might lose a yard of pace again - but that's what he was like for the past 2 years before he got it back again, so we know he can still be a strong performer even when not at his quickest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not really. I'd say he is more likely to stay than he is to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

VVD will still be 32 at the end of this season; he is an elite CB who is possibly having his best year. No matter who we get in, they will want him to stay for a few years yet. He also offers leadership, massive experience and he will want to stay, definitely will be offered a 2yr extension at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Trent's contract is up in 25, we should be working on that as a matter of urgency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yep same as VVD and Salah. Trent will sign an extension. So will VVD and I reckon Salah will too because he has too much left at a high level to go to Saudi Arabia.

• Advertisement
Advertisement