Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What rubbish is that? You clearly haven't a notion. Little Island now runs on a 15 minute frequency from Cobh and Midleton albeit somewhat less on a Sunday BUT extra services are on during match days. You can buy a ticket online now so that's that excuse gone. So now we've established its quicker and more convenient and as you've said yourself, driving is a nightmare. Anything else?

Again I'm fully convinced you've never been to PUC and are just having a bit of a wind up on here.

The sense of self importance and entitlement is astounding though. Imagine thinking a space should be set aside just for you 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Is this the car park where you expect thousand’s of people to park & get the train in? That’s gonna work well.

And you still had to use your car to get there anyway so….. really your no better than me.

Just after checking there, it’s hosted 1 Munster Hurling Final since redevelopment.

And that was the 2021 Covid game between Limerick & Tipp.

Who said thousands? It's an option among many. You've already repeatedly stated that driving there is so bad apparently that you'll never go to a game again but you also complain about other valid options. Smacks of laziness to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Usual moaning from so called supporters not used to travelling to matches. Gaelic Grounds and Croke Park are worse to travel to and further away from rail stations and bus routes! Ireland is not that big a country but it seems there is a determined campaign against PUC getting match. The above illustrates the nonsense. Best stadium in the country outside Dublin and it’s not that difficult to get to but usual jealousy of Cork stuff.

• Advertisement

What would you have done if you went to the station & all parking spaces were full?

Your complaining about people driving cars to stadium’s yet the irony is lost on you that you had to drive your car also at some stage to get there.

So Get real you hypocrite, your suggestion of parking in little island & getting the train would only work for about a couple hundred people at most due to not enough car parking spaces at the station from what i can see.

City Centre isn’t a viable option either because no matter what you say, there absolutely isn’t enough car parking spaces there for demand.

110 million not fully roofed, not fully seated, 80% of it looks the same as what was there before it. Terrible location for fans to get too.

How many times has it sold out?

Yee got absolutely rode lads. Ye just can’t admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,045 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Coming into a city or town you don't live in and parking where ever you feel like because you are too tight to pay for parking and too much of a snob for public transport is scummy yes.

Was delighted to see 2 guards cycling around PuC giving out tickets at the Limerick game last year.

jumping to alot of presumptions there breezy, come back to the real world chap.

iv no problem paying for parking if it’s available.

And like i pointed out, public transport isn’t suitable for everybody. And yee still needed a car to get there!!!!

Expecting fans to go to a game with no infrastructure in place and having where alot of people planned to park Closed is terrible Organization.

Glad you mentioned the Gardai, they were the ones who told us & many 100s of other’s to park where we did.

Because there’s no other options!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The 800k per year extra for Munster wouldn't work out like that. Moving one big game from Thomond would damage season ticket sales, they'd have to reduce the price. Season ticket sales are extremely important, it would be crazy to prioritise one off games which may or may not attract a big crowd. There is no guarantee of touring teams coming nevermind a crowd so that can't be relied on.

There is no chance Ireland U20 rugby games would be played in Cork if PUC was the venue. The IRFU would keet them in Donnybrook or possibly play them in Ravenhill, they'd use a stadium they own. The IRFU will use their own assets first, they won't be paying to use a GAA stadium.

Even if Cork City could get 15k attendance, that would be lost in PUC. The truth is neither soccer nor rugby have any interest in a GAA stadium when they own a stadium themselves. Keeping all income for themselves would be better than sharing income to cover the cost of additional capacity that they will never need.

• Advertisement

You were told about loads of other options!!!!!!!!!

You just came up with nonsense and lies to shoot them down.

Yeah and i told you the nearly 40k people all can’t park in little island or the city or take buses. The supply isn’t there to meet demand. That’s a Fact.

Cars are also part of the solution not the problem.

So now you want special car parking nearby that would lie idle 99.99999% of the time. Maybe they should just cover the entire Marina in tarmac just so there's a space there for you for the occasional match?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i wouldnt be looking to the US as an example for this. for one, the designs for said multi-use stadia simply werent that fit for purpose. but the main push towards single-use stadia is much more down to corporate greed of team/franchise owners rather than anything else

from a design/planning POW municipal stadia are an infinitely better option, once designed to allow sufficient flexibility for the relevant sports

That’s not what I’m saying. You truly are an idiot and make up silly scenarios when you’ve had your ass handed to you on this debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Can you offer any figures on season ticket sales for Munster? Both Cork City and Ireland 20's proposals were based on what could have been built rather than what was built.

I remember you being a massive advocate on here for single use when the PUC renovation was proposed. A simple google search brings up many examples such as the below response to what turned out to be astute concerns at how Cork GAA would fund this:

I doubt the viability of the PUC redevelopment is based entirely on selling match tickets. I am sure they plan to generate commercial income from concerts, conferences tourists, and people from the new park. In fact, I would not be surprised if the plan is for non-match day revenue to be the main source of income. There is no chance of, or indeed need for, a municipal stadiums in Cork. Munster Rugby are struggling to pay the debt on Thomond as it is, there is no way they want to get involved with another similar sized stadium in Cork. They are undertaking upgrade works on Musgrave and playing a few smaller games in there every year is enough, anything more would undermine Thomond and the investment there.

Both of your points here have proven completely wrong. Cork GAA are nowhere near close to funding the debt on the stadium with concerts, conferences and people from the new park. On the second point Cork GAA have explicitly called for PUC to be municipal use this month with a specific mention of rugby, in order for it to be sustainable:

2024 will see the return of rugby and concerts to the stadium as it seeks to fulfil a municipal agenda. Such high scale and indeed expensive physical assets simply must be utilised at every part possible opportunity and as we do not have access to a sufficient number of games in our own Association, we must look elsewhere at every opportunity. Yes, there may be sacrifices along the way in terms of scheduling, but all commercial opportunities must be strongly considered if we are to continue to financially support our teams in the manner required

Revealed: Páirc Uí Chaoimh to be renamed Supervalu Park in historic rights deal  

Additionally Munster Rugby have now booked the stadium for use twice in the last 15 months, both events sold out weeks in advance of the actual games.

Its astonishing that you are still here making the same arguments 10 years later given the abject commercial failure of Pairc Ui Caoimh, the explicit calls from Cork GAA that the stadium needs to embrace municipal use and the unquestionable success of the three times the stadium has been put to use for other sports, with sell outs for all three.

You're deluding yourself I see and now name calling as well. Truly the sign of someone who has ran out of road and can't come up with anything else. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I said PUC redevelopment wouldn't be viable based entirely on selling match tickets - this is true, it isn't.

I said they would have to look to generate other commercial income - this is true, they are.

I said there was no chance of a municipal stadium in Cork - this is true, it isn't one.

Not sure how you think my points have proven completely wrong.

Seeking to "fulfil a municipal agenda" isn't the same as a municipal stadium (which is defined purely by its ownership), it's just a nice way of saying they are desperate for money so will host any events.

Saying "Both Cork City and Ireland 20's proposals were based on what could have been built rather than what was built" is an if my auntie had balls type argument, it means nothing. It is just some fantasy scenario which ignores all reality.

Munster Rugby own a stadium and a struggling to pay it's debts, they aren't going to pay for someone else's stadium and one-off novelty games are not equitable to standard league games against less than glamorous opposition.

The IRFU also own other stadiums which would be used before PUC. Cork City also own a stadium and I'm sure none of their fans would accept leaving that to play in a huge GAA stadium which has a huge gap between fans and the pitch. If you offered them the chance to go halves on a PUR redevelopment, they wouldn't touch it.

Soccer/rugby would either have to rent the stadium at €200k a night or would have had to pay €X0m towards the redevelopment. They wouldn't cover the rent and if they had that capital, they'd get better return from investing in their own facilities. But you are free to continue to fantasise and assign any sporting fixture you like to the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I said PUC redevelopment wouldn't be viable based entirely on selling match tickets - this is true, it isn't.

Yes and its not viable based off GAA match tickets and commercial income from concerts, conferences tourists, and people from the new park either. If you were specifically talking about how income that would contribute to the shortfall would be generated and not on how said income would impact viability, fair enough I guess...

I said they would have to look to generate other commercial income - this is true, they are.

Yes including Rugby games. Cork GAA have explicitly said they want more Rugby games in PUC

I said there was no chance of a municipal stadium in Cork - this is true, it isn't one. Seeking to "fulfil a municipal agenda" isn't the same as a municipal stadium (which is defined purely by its ownership), it's just a nice way of saying they are desperate for money so will host any events.

If you were specifically talking about the ownership we don't have a disagreement. I don't think Cork GAA owning the stadium is necessarily an impediment to its financial viability, I'm sure longer term rental agreements could have massively increased usage. I was using municipal as a synonym for multi use, as Cork GAA were, as they call out for the need for more than just GAA to be hosted there. Pairc Ui Caoimh is now a multi use stadium, its hosting its second rugby game on Saturday, it owners and operators are calling for more rugby games.

Saying "Both Cork City and Ireland 20's proposals were based on what could have been built rather than what was built" is an if my auntie had balls type argument, it means nothing. It is just some fantasy scenario which ignores all reality.

I was responding to a comment on what should have been built. I think there is more value than an if my auntie had balls type argument in looking at what could have been done differently in a stadium build that used 30 million of public revenue and is still a financial and operational failure on the scale that PUC is.

Munster Rugby own a stadium and a struggling to pay it's debts, they aren't going to pay for someone else's stadium and one-off novelty games are not equitable to standard league games against less than glamorous opposition.

I don't think there is any substance here. I doubt Munster Rugby care if Cork GAA's slice of rugby games in PUC goes to service debt. Munster will play games in Pairc Ui Caoimh if it is profitable for them. The fact that they came back a second time and it has again sold out shows that Munster are happy with the financial benefits from playing in PUC. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they are back again in November for another touring team and again further down the line for a derby game.

The IRFU also own other stadiums which would be used before PUC. Cork City also own a stadium and I'm sure none of their fans would accept leaving that to play in a huge GAA stadium which has a huge gap between fans and the pitch. If you offered them the chance to go halves on a PUR redevelopment, they wouldn't touch it.

Cork City don't own a stadium but that's not really the point. I never suggested any of this. I never said that Cork City should or could ever play in the current PUC or that they could have gone halves (!!!!!!) on any alternative PUC development. Just that a hypothetical 20k-30k seater could have been an option for Cork City to use for one off games when they were going well and if they were to go well again in the future.

Soccer/rugby would either have to rent the stadium at €200k a night or would have had to pay €X0m towards the redevelopment. They wouldn't cover the rent and if they had that capital, they'd get better return from investing in their own facilities. But you are free to continue to fantasise and assign any sporting fixture you like to the stadium.

If you think the discussion I was having is a pointless fantasy why did you engage me? I think there is merit in looking at what could have been done, if you think that's a waste of time you are free to block me or skim past my posts. If you actually do want to engage; the return on investment in Thomond Park has been poor and Munster remain saddled with significant debt nearly 20 years on. Buying into a development with Cork GAA would have been cheaper, would have left them with significantly less debt and would have left them with a similar offering in terms of facilities for the team and fans.

You’re complaining about people who drive to matches and parking there car.

Yet you did the absolute same thing. You used your car to go to a train station. That had about 50 parking spaces.

The irony is totally lost on you.

• Advertisement

That's not irony. That's other options. You really haven't a clue do you? You're the one moaning that PUC is so awful to drive to that you'll never go there again. So firstly, why are you even here if that's your stance and secondly, why not use your imagination and try other evidently available options to see if they are better than the "nightmare" of driving as you claim? I suspect you're just lazy.

This brings up another one. How often would a GAA fan outside Cork be expected to go to PUC - once every two years maybe. You'd swear it was a regular thing every weekend the way people go on about it. If you can't be bothered going to support your team then you're just looking for reasons not to go.

The Gaelic Grounds in Limerick are infinitely worse to get to than getting to PUC and it's an absolute dump on top of that. The Mackey Stand in particular is one of the worst places to watch a match in the country. But people seem obsessed with PUC for some reason.

pUC is a fantastic stadium with a spectacular setting and the most modern outside of Dublin. Now that it’s getting more concerts and matches, there is a campaign by some to try and stop it getting more matches. It’s got good access and is walkable for the city centre with lots of public transport. And it will pay for itself over time just like the last stadium when the same sort of nonsense was being spouted. Some supporters are just not used to travelling it seems.

Try getting into and out of that Kip of a stadium the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick.

You still had to use your car & park it. You can’t be giving out to people for doing the same thing.

People wanna use their car that’s their choice, there should be adequate parking available for people & to be fair to everyone in the area.

"Ran out of road" 🤭

The Gaelic Grounds that is closer than PuC to the city centre and served by the 343 and 302 bus ?

Im with you on the Mackey stand though. Should have been knocked with the rest of the old stadium.

Only once have I ever had real trouble getting in our out of a stadium and that was a Munster final in Killarney. Even then it just meant a lot of walking and sitting in a stopped car. It's certainly not just an Irish thing either because any stadium in Europe I have been to requires plenty of walking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Try getting into and out of that Kip of a stadium the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick.

Seriously? It's in a residential area and on the main road into the city center. There are two bus stops a few minutes walk from the stadium. And it's only a kilometer from the toll both for the Limerick tunnel and the road to Cork.

Anyways, from what I've read in this thread nobody has said that no games should be played PuC or played in the GG instead. There is no campaign (other than in your head) to stop it getting more matches.

Gaelic Grounds is as difficult or easy as PUC to get in and out of depending on your perspective. As for no campaign there was a big enough one last year to get the Clare v Limerick game scheduled for the Gaelic Grounds. Of course different grounds compete and campaign for games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If they went with that name at the beginning, there wouldn't have been as issue and outcry.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

"SuperValu Pairc Uí Chaoimh", it will still get called just Pairc Uí Chaoimh by most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

A good deal for Cork GAA. Not sure of the thinking behind this decision from Super Valu. Retaining the PUC name alongside their brand, ensures that nobody outside of the media will call it SVPUC(unless you're a incredibly lame individual). Also, there's **** all on in there most of the time.

Advertisement