Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That really only affects people buying water, soft drinks etc on a one-off basis in small shops (and these are the ones most likely to be littered). The vast majority of cans and bottles are sold in multipacks in supermakets and the people who buy them are going back there every week, same as they're already doing with the glass beer bottles they buy and bring back to the bottle bank in the supermarket car park. My local Molloys doesn't have a bottle bank but it doesn't matter because any beer bottles I buy there are just brought back to the supermarket I'm going to anyway.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Any Re-Turn labelled cans which escaped into the wild before they should have (and I bought one before Christmas) won't cost the retailer anything, it'll be an ever so tiny loss to Re-Turn. But every bottle or can which the producer/importer has to pay for up front, and ends up in green bin / landfill / etc is a gain for Re-Turn. The latter is going to far outweigh the former.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

But they are exactly the sort of purchases least likely to be ending up in green bins at the moment / ending up in littering (as you note) and not in the recycling chain. This needs to get to 90 percent?

That may not be the majority of purchases but it is not insignificant either.

Seems a significant amount of purchases not prioritised.

Theres also the growing numbers getting home deliveries.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

interesting, especially the last part you mentioned about the latter outweighing the former in regards of the unclaimed deposits for some cans ending up in bins. the same logic was applied in another thread when relating to people scamming the machines. long story short if possible to scam the machines it will be hard to detect until after the number of apparent unclaimed deposits become 0% and starting going the opposite way due to too many scam redeems. once that happens it will begin eating into the profits. There was even a joke posted there about achieving a 140% recycling rate lol.

Some person somewhere in a country that had a simular scheme, was able to keep putting the can into the machine again and again, made a bunch of profit then got caught and charged with fraud.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

It's a non-profit company

• Advertisement

That tends to work out so well here when you give a monopoly to such a company, with zero incentive for them to run the service well from the consumers pov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Maybe it's been asked already but can you bring a can etc back to any shop? Or the one you bought it from?

Eg: If I buy a bottle from Lidl in Tuam

• I can bring it back to Lidl in Tuam.
    • Can I bring it back to Lidl in Dublin?
    • Can I bring it back to a Centra in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

You can bring it back to any shop which has not got an exemption. Any of the Big supermarkets + Centra, Spar, daybreak, applegreen, circle K (that kinda size) will be taking returns. When you get to newsagents, chances are they will be taking the exemption at first.

To use your example you can bring it back in another chain, in another town and they have to give you cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

Yes, but remember that if you bring it to Centra and put it into one of their machines you have to redeem the voucher in a Centra either for cash or against a purchase there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

So where will the (what is likely to be a huge amount of money) difference of what is charged on sale and what makes it back to refund go.?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Funds the operation of the system; they make their operating costs (its a non-profit) from producer registration fees, per item fees and unclaimed refunds.

Yes, I understand that, but what happens the excess funds, just up the Directors remuneration or some “consultants” fees, so the company does not make a profit, or do they have this all worked out so perfectly that the income/outcome balances, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JVince

Netherlands went from 45% before introduction to 68% in 2022. Estimates for 2023 are 76% and it will be 2026 when they expect to reach 90%.

The number of locations initially was about 3,000. It is now 5,000 and they plan another 2800.

They certainly don't have 28,000

the company ALWAYS makes a profit, and this is intentionally at the expense of the costs of running the service being footed to others (eg consumers, deposits, manufacturers etc.) The profits/excess go directly into re-turns pocket. They may decide to keep this or re-invest it into their own scheme to make themself grow bigger.

Also please do not let the terms "non-profit" and "not-for-profit" fool you. They are misleading and make it sound like the company makes no profit, but the companies using those terms quite often always do make a profit, and at the expense of others, and they also profit in other ways such as perks or direct access/misuse of funds with only a small portion of it percentage wise only ever going to its actual cause.

Whenever you see "nonprofit", think to yourself "i/the consumer can't profit off of this company, they want something from me and want to give me back nothing in return. this non-profit is a company that is money driven or wants money or some other donation that can be turned into money (raw material, clothing, cans etc) but does not want to give me anything in return and has no product to self me, other than a belief that i am somehow helping someone somewhere or some cause or something. This is just what the use as a front and advertising to get ur donation from you, whatever form that donation may be in. it doesnt mean they make no profit, it means they offer no product for sale and you cannot profit/gain anything from any donation you give them"

and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise! alot of people defending non-profits don't realize this truth, and seem to do it out of emotions or out of a misunderstanding of nonprofits without realizing the whole marketting and businuess side to it. non profits, profit off of perks and other things. And people who promote non-profits for businuess reasons, profit from being paid clients for them (often paid with the donation money) or from other favors/perks.

Fees would be re-evaluated to reduce manufacturer costs; there is a defined time period after which it has to be recalculated.

Thank you for laying it out more eloquently than I could.

Maybe I have just become a bit bitter and twisted from seeing too many public funded bodies pi55 away the public’s money I don’t buy into it as easily.

Re-turn is owned by the producers, they can't take profit out of it, so its in their interest to ensure it costs as little as possible to run and sets the fees as low as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

If they don't cover their costs they will just go to government who will allow the to keep part of them deposit. This is Ireland after all

No, they'll put the producer fees up. There is no legislative basis for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

It won't. It hasn't anywhere else. Producers carry the cost, less anything left from unclaimed returns - that's how it always works.

they're already allowed to keep the deposit, as it's paid upfront via the manufactures and the customers. the customers have a chance at getting their own deposits back, but the manufacterers have no chance, instead they get the chance of having their own metal shredded up, melted and recycled then sold back to them as raw material to make more cans with lol. circular economy and all that, quite the joke.

Re-turn also keep the profits made from selling the recyclables (as they admitted they don't recycle themself but rather sell the stuff we put into the machines). they might hold onto some of this for "in-case machine breaks" money, or some other fund. also insert father ted "that money was just resting in my account" meme here. its basically up to re-turn to do whatever they see fit. they're allowed to sit on the money and put it in a box/account that is eleigably for whatever businuess related reason they put on it for legal reasons or transparency.

if i put money up for my kids education/colldge and name it colledge fund, how many times has this happened only for the kids money to magically dissapear the moment they go to collect it? happens all the time with pensions too, and retirement money. george carlin made a bit on it.

"Re-turn will collect the returned bottles and cans and sell them to industry so it will also have revenue from that source."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/deposit-drink-return-repeat-how-the-new-plastic-bottle-and-can-recycling-scheme-will-work/a352130529.html

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Step To Far. Final Thoughts:

Its almost Dday but its not for me. Twenty years now of separating and washing our rubbish and now they 'incentivise' us again to do more separation. I don't use a commercial waste service for reasons too long to go into here. I have been doing the right thing but am sick of tripping over bags all over the kitchen and shed etc. So I won't be doing any extra separating. Kinda sad really because 30 years ago I was a business owner who had new plastic boxes delivered every month and tried so hard to get suppliers to take back used ones for recycling but no one was interested. So I am not adverse to the general idea but all this green/save the planet stuff has just gone too far now. Lets smile though...checkout Youtube/George Carlin/ Save the Planet.

I will be forfeiting the 'incentive' and console myself with the fact that I am saving €25 per week using the new LocalLink bus service twice a week instead of my car which more than compensates for it. So thank you Eaman Ryan for that anyway.

Happy recycling everyone. 😉

Post edited by the watchman on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I cant understand how I'm now being told NOT to put my bottles and cans into MY recycle bin, which I pay for monthly anyway and instead being told to get in my car, pay for the diesel to get me to a shop and therefore increase my carbon footprint to return my undamaged and clean recycling in order to get my own money back.

It just makes no sense to me under my circumstances. Its either that or pay twice for recycling the same cans in my own recycling bin?? Each household has now five different types of waste. General, Compost, Recycling, Glass and now this, recycling version 2... Is it just me or has this gone completely out of hand? Common sense is a luxury.

Yes, five different types of waste!

Well the theory is that you're going back to the supermarket in any case for next week's shop so you return it then.

The theory ignores the increasing number of people who get deliveries. And for people who shop only in small local shops who are exempt for returns - then they are being pushed now to go to a large supermarket for the return. This could lead to some people switching where they shop, to a more distant supermarket that has an RVM.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

both my neighbours burn their plastic in the stoves they have so will be interesting to see if this stops it, I doubt it. They do it at weekends when they know the LA/EPA are at home.

One actually works for the LA

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My can crusher that Ive been using for several years will be redundant in a few days when this pain in the balls begins. Has anyone seen cheap plastic crates for sale that are designed to hold 24 empty cans?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement