Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭bren2001

The IMF predict the inflation rate for Ireland:

• 2024: 3%
    • 2025: 2%
    • 2026: Not given but a fair assumption would be 2% or 2.5%.

The deal is 9.25% or 10.25% depending on the local clause. I expect I will get the additional 1%.

Predicted inflation over the course of the deal is therefore 6%. That means its predicted I'll "gain back" 3.25% or 4.25%. Coupling that with the budget adjustments where my net pay increased 1.75%, its predicted I'm there or thereabouts with inflation over this deal. The more I look at it, the more reasonable it seems.

https://www.imf.org/en/Countries/IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Rootsblower

Whilst the IMF prediction may come to pass and I understand that the government can only do deals within uncertain budgetary forecasts the PS/CS are still playing catch-up from the previous deal.

Didnt the government during the last round of negotiations on the previous pay agreement ask the unions not to chase inflation and that this would be addressed in subsequent pay deals?

As to the sectoral bargaining aspect it’s a sham for optics. Everyone in my wife’s office thought it was a 10.25% deal until they read the nitty gritty detail. I would imagine a lot of employees won’t see that 1%

Also the general feeling in my wife’s workplace is the deal is too long.

If you don't go with the IMF predictions, what do you go with? (I'm sure the government have their own that are similar). Of course, if China invades Taiwan or Trump gets reelected, we've no idea what will happen with inflation etc.

I don't think sectoral bargaining is a sham but the Unions could have been clearer that its 9.25% and not 10.25%. Even SIPTUs email got it wrong.

We'd all prefer 2 years but 2.5 is reasonable. The deal is front loaded which is reasonable. Couple it with the budgetary measures (and I know plenty on this thread will say they're irrelevant). It's there or thereabouts matching inflation. I think anyone who says its a "terrible deal" or "piss poor" deal wouldn't accept anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Let us remind ourselves of this very simple fact:

Under this deal FF/FG are giving public servants a 3.3% increase in 2024 - an increase which we will pay PAYE, PRSI, USC and pension levy on.

For 2024 they gave people on Jobseekers Allowance a 5.45% increase.

Says it all really.

What are those on equivalent salaries in the PS getting? More than 3.5%.

Lower paid workers get a higher percentage.

• Advertisement

But you're comparing very low paid people on job seekers to those earning over 50k. There was a massive narrative earlier that inflation is nonlinear and lower paid workers should get more. That applies to those on welfare too, no?

You're making an unfair comparison. What is the percentage increase for someone on 30k for example? You're ignoring the budgetary adjustments for those over 50k too.

In the same way Salonfire cherry picks figures, you are too.

It still likely makes your point but shows a closer agreement.

There's no cherry picking any point. It is a FACT that the vast majority of public servants will get a 3.3% increase in 2024 whereas those on Jobseekers Allowance will get a 5.45% increase.

It's completely irrelevant that those on Jobseekers Allowance have less money.

It is a FACT that those on 49K or less get a higher percentage.

What about the budgetary measures? Those on JBA don't see the benefit of that. I'm up 1.75% net. That's a FACT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Those on the dole are making more than COs once they pop out a few babies what's even the incentive for some ppl to work and give up medical card, etc

• Advertisement

Only two of the three minor increases in 2024 allow for a "whichever is greater" clause. The reason why such clauses are introduced is to try and keep appallingly paid decent and hardworking staff in the public sector. Each person in such a category has a different circumstance as it is dependent on their wage. So the generality is taken - that is a 3.3% pay rise.

Budgetary measures are totally irrelevant and completely independent of the fact that FF/FG gave jobseekers a better increase than public servants in 2024.

Budgetary measures are important when the prevailing argument is that this is less than inflation.

But you want to take one budgetary measure into account, JSA but not others.

The minimum increase in 2024 is 4.25%. Those on less than 50k receive more.

You're just making up stats now. Perhaps one of the reasons why budgetary measures such as changes in tax etc . . . do not apply to jobseekers is because they don't have jobs? Have you considered that?

What stat did I make up?

So you shouldnt consider the net increase in a PS workers pay check when comparing to people on JSA? If the government gives a worker a 2% increase directly and 2% via pay cuts and inflation is 4% they shouldn't give those on welfare 4% for parity? That seems like a crazy position to take to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

This doesn't add up.

3 + 2 + 2(or 2.5) = 7% (or 7.5%).

It seems that you're halving 2026's inflation to call predicted inflation over the course of the deal 6%. However, I don't think this assumption stands up.

How else would you split the 2026 inflation rate?

You might not agree with it but it's at least a logical approach.

It just doesn't seem consistent with your approach to the increases.

For instance, you treat increases in June and August as full-year increases, but they only take effect for part of the year.

However, for inflation you divide the year.

I think massaging the figures to suit your argument ultimately weakens it.

I take the figure at the end of the deal, 9.25 or 10.25% and compare that to predicted inflation over the same period i.e 6%. (note 2026 predicted inflation is my prediction extending 2025).

There will be a new deal for the second half of 2026. I don't know what, if any increments we will have then so taking the end of year figure seems like an odd thing to do to me.

Where's the massaging? I'm literally taking both gross numbers over the length of the deal.

You might not agree with it but surely you see the logic?

Fair enough. I guess I'd work out it differently. Not that it really changes the thrust of your argument.

How would you work it out if you wanted to compare it with inflation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Exactly. They don't have jobs and yet get a bigger increase in money . No one's mentioning the double payments they received last month and again this week. I didn't get a double payment,never mind 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Deub

You replied to a comment about anti PS posters saying you admire their dedication and tenacity but then you do exactly the same on jobseekers.

Would you prefer to have a 12€ increase weekly instead of the current deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

I’ll be voting no, for all the good it will do as alas it will pass once the unions recommend it. Unfortunately, most don’t seem interested in independent thinking or querying what’s actually being offered. I take it there won’t be any element or faction within the unions to argue against the deal and educate their members so they can actually make an informed choice, i.e. explaining the impact of time, nominal versus real wages and lower inflation still being inflation. Maybe in addition to surveys the union could communicate to educate on these points for the benefit of the collective, instead of just recommending acceptance of deals half the rate of inflation.

The fact that the unions didn’t even pull Donohoe to task over his ignorant comments in relation to energy credits, changes in tax bands and credits and lack of knowledge on remaining FEMPI legislation. I’m surprised he didn’t throw the Haddington road hours card in as a reason to not offer a better deal.

It will be my last pay deal to vote on, not much point in being in a union of members who keep voting for these deals and a leadership who negotiate and recommend them. What is a pay deal if not trying to keep up with inflation, it was a good enough target for previous deals but obviously there’s an imaginary inflation threshold now, with inflation only covered 50% with the last extended deal leaving us -6.5% behind as a base point on day one of the negotiations. 

What would have been acceptable would have been a deal for 10% over 24 months, to satisfy the Governments need for drip feeding the increases spread out over four increases of 2.5% every 6 months from January 1st. Included also would be a guarantee to start negotiations on its successor on 01/10/2025 with balloting to take place in early December if no agreement is reached.

I also see the media starting to trot out this productivity line as well, as if private sector increases are given on the condition of increased productivity. Does a Garda have to arrest more people, a teacher teach more students, a nurse treat more patients or a Revenue auditor producing higher yields. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Comms from my union stated "The proposals include pay increases of 10.25% over a two-and-a-half-year period"

No, it's 9.25. Overselling the deal they negotiated to their own members to make themselves look better imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The missing 1% is up to the individual organisation to decide for priority areas.

Since when are January double payments a thing? Public servants given a 3.3% increase for 2024 whilst Jobseekers Allowance increases by 5.45%? Why have the unions accepted this? Why have they not highlighted this in the media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

This is a bit misleading, most of them are not getting an extra €12 a week because they're also receiving extra for spouse, children, on fuel allowance and the endless bonus weeks also medical card for the whole family.

It's up to members to accept. The members will decide collectively if we accept it. This will likely pass.

That 3.3% is flawed logic. I don't really get why, the actual figure wouldn't change your argument. It'd still be less than 5.45%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

The €12 a week was only part of the increases given to SW recipients in the last budget.

If you include the other awards given, e.g. extra weeks of double payments, as well as a series of "once of" payments, some of them came out with an average increase closer to €40 a week if split over 52 weeks.

Advertisement