Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

were the "trials" a legal requirement or not?

i'll try explain what a green tax is. Alot of air pollution, energy wasting and environmental waste comes down to big business part they play much more than domestic and consumers. Some of business that make products may opt for cheaper packaging (i believe for PR reasons and to make it look like they care but really its just because it costs less) but with this example and wasting electric by having their unused rm machines left on example, and other things like manufacturing, do they really care about their carbon footprint? do they actually care about the environment?

Government has some taxes in place which are meant to stop businesses from intentionally polluting the country for profit when there are much more sustainable means of a variety of things including energy and waste and packaging (other examples too, basically anything green related or pro-earth pro-environment if you catch my drift). There's a carbon tax (meant to clamp down on businesses getting away with pollution caused via industrial air pollution and carbon emissions, use of fossil fuels for profit etc etc), waste taxes, and a bunch of other environment based taxes. For simplicity sake these are all summarized as "green tax". green tax is being taxed for things that are not pro-green.

Essential green taxes are fines that are given for breaking crimes against nature via the environment

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

First manual collection I've heard of but good to know someone actually is doing it.

It's a legal requirement so I'd imagine it'll last longer then a week. That's for the shop owner tho.

You want my general opinion on taxation for green issues? That's quite a broad topic and my opinion is going to vary depending on the tax, isn't it? I don't see the relevance of the question for this thread.

There were no trials. ReTurn are not running a trial nor have they via any retailer. I've already pointed that out to you. A private company decided to implement its own deposit return scheme which ran on a different model with a completely different underlying financial model. It's not relevant to this thread. I've already stated Lidl are the exception from large retailers in that they did support the scheme. I'm not arguing with you in relation to whether this is a cash cow for large retailers or not. We're not going to agree so I'd prefer to avoid a pointless back and forth. We've already had the discussion and I see no reason to restart it as there is no new evidence or no new compelling argument from either of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Would not be a legal requirement if the shop is below 250SqM, as indeed it may well be as it is a petrol station in the sticks.

Shop-owner is possibly doing this to try support his local community and/or is scared of their life they will cede more custom to the multiples.

I imagine they can't afford an RVM and are trying manual before seeking the exemption. But I don't know, its certainly an interesting case to keep an eye on.

• Advertisement

The shop is legally required to charge the deposit. This shop is legally required to take back cans/bottles (I assume based on its size). Whether the shop owner chooses to break the law or not is not something I have any knowledge about.

Shops with a takeback exemption (meaning, they do not have to take returns of cans/bottles) charge the deposit. Nearly every eligible can/plastic bottle will be charge the deposit irrespective where you get it from (theres a tiny handful of exceptions before someone jumps on me).

I am making the assumption its large enough alright. I've amended my second post (before reading yours) to include that it is an assumption.

Yes, and also even your opinion on fines in general if possible. For this discussion green tax and taxes on anything environment based. There are some ways in which this relates to the current RVM scheme.

The private companys that decided to implement their own deposit return schemes, were the legally mandated to do so? and if not, any idea what the motive was? Generally asking here

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Thats a matter for a separate thread. I can't give you a blanket opinion, it varies on each tax. I agree with the idea of carbon tax. I thought it was a stupid time to implement it.

I am not part of Lidl, I am not aware of any published document which outlines their rationale or business logic. It would be pure speculation.

ok fair enough, but the deposit return schemes these private companys decided to implement. do you think they did it for the benefit of the earth?

in your opinion are their motives non-financial?

like i previously said, it seems quite a coincidence 4 of them magically all of sudden would decide to invest so much millions all at the same time for no good reason and just randomly out of the kindness of their heart.

• Advertisement

I am not privvy to their business model. I have no idea how they did/did not make money from their schemes.

Who were the other 3? I am only aware of Lidl running a deposit return scheme and it wasn't nationwide. It was only in select stores is what I understood it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

The last part is against the consumer sales act. You can’t raise a price, just to put it on “sale”. It has to be that price for a certain amount of time.

“Under consumer law, you must display the ‘prior price’ when you mark a product as on sale or promotion. You must also base any discounts, such as an amount or a percentage off, on this prior price. The prior price should be no higher than the lowest price that an item has been on sale for in the 30 days before a promotion starts.

For example, if a laptop is marked as ‘was €700 now €500’ then the business must not have had that laptop on sale for less than €700 in the 30 days before the promotion began.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Dunnes had a store with their own DRS in Naas. Only aware of it through previous media coverage when it was launched. Seemed to be a local initiative rather than Dunnes wide. I've never seen one elsewhere but open to correction.

i was'nt asking about their businuess model or how/if they made money from the schemes.

i was asking if you think they did it for mother nature. earlier you insisted i was going on about them making money, so i gave example pointing out that they obviously didn'nt do it for nothing. you then responded saying they were mandated/legally required to do it, so then i pointed out that the "trials" aka what you insist isnt trials/private thing, were NOT legally required to do their own little deposit schemes. Proving you wrong.

Also when i say "it seems quite a coincidence 4 of them magically all of sudden would decide to invest so much millions all at the same time for no good reason and just randomly out of the kindness of their heart." i was reffering to this https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121687846/#Comment_121687846

Nearly every shop has opted for RVMs??

I'm not sure where you got your figures from, but less than 30% of shops have opted for them.

Where are these agents who enforce this law then? because they're getting away with doing this constantly. So many times i see something being raised just before a day it goes on sale, so that they can say "save x amount" instead of the lower x amount they're really saving. Its very dishonest and should be enforced more.

The laptop example you gave, i'll give you an example of what i see being done. lets say this fictional laptop you mentioned is normally €700 yes, ok now imagine there is going to be a sale planned 2 days from today, the owner of the shop decides to raise the price to €1000 euro tomorrow! now the day after tomorrow when the sale is going on, the price of the laptop magically appears in big writing as WOW! SAVE 50% ON THIS AMAZING LAPTOP!! WAS €1000 BUT TODAY IS NOW ONLY €500! save a WHOPPING 50% off!! GREAT VALUE!!

Thats not really 50% off at all, they just upped the price so they could lie about it. A Person is only saving 200 euro in this scenerio. 700-200 isnt 50% off.

There's also a party chips brand that this is being very frequently done with in a different way. A Product (i wont name for legal reasons) is everywhere in the store and in other stores, ALWAYS 2 EURO!, but then a shop decides to up the price to 3.50, and then write "buy 2 for 4 euro, save 3 euro! amazing value!".

I responded to howiya saying they are a legal requirement. You brought up "trials" (even though there has not been any for this scheme). Lets get the timeline accurate here. I pointed out that the current rollout of RVM's is a legal requirement. Its nothing to do with making money or saving the environment for the large retailers, its a legal requirement. I want to avoid a back and forth where your argument is that we are being exploited under this scheme.

I'm not sure what you've "proved" me wrong about, I've no idea if Lidl did/did not make money on their scheme. Do you've a link to their accounts showing they did? Do you have a link to their rationale for doing so? Is it anything to do with ReTurn? No. Does it imply anything about ReTurn? No. If you're happy you've proved me wrong, then why are you still posting?

I don't understand the point you're making with the link. All four of them "magically" installed RVMs because they are legally mandated to do so or have manual collections. Its not out of the kindness of their hearts. Its not out of concern for the environment. Its not to make money. Its a legal requirement that they do so. They have zero choice unless they are to break the law.

Every shop that has not applied for a takeback exemption. You're fully aware of what I meant.

Its well understood on this thread your local shop is exempt.

Anyone is entitled to make a complaint through them. Any shops found guilty will be liable to fines etc.

My local shop is not exempt, it’s just miles away from me.

• Advertisement

I think you're perfectly capable of understanding the domain of shops I am referring to. Those greater than 250 m2. It's been covered to death on this thread. Only those are not eligible for the takeback exemption and thus are legally required to have an RVM or manual takebacks. Of those, nearly all have opted for RVMs.

I assume, nearly all shops eligible for takeback exemptions have applied for one. Both assumptions seem reasonable to me.

If you want to intentionally be difficult, so be it.

this is exactly my point, the RVM's rolled out before this was'nt a legal requirement and was obviously done by choice of those companies. You complained about me saying this and that about them doing it for non-green based reasons, so i then went ahead and proved it.

My argument is'nt just a "we're being exploited" sort of thing, its also pointing out ways re-turn can reach their goal faster if they actually wanted to, and ways that step towards solving the problems people have with the scheme. And then ultimately pointing out that they don't actually care about enirovement whatsoever and are only doing the scheme for political or money reasons. NON- enviromental reasons baseically. conflicting interests and impure motives.

it's big businuess and green tax scandal all over again, just nothing more than virtue signalling and a chance at making money from it. And EU politics. i pointed out many times in this thread and in others, how big businuess never cares about mother nature and only doing things out of PR related reasons or with financial intensive. The have no regard whatsoever. And green tax is a scam to allow businuess to continue politing the world as long as they give government a slice of the action. Actions speak louder than words and money talks. A businuess planting a tree isnt gonna cut it. its the same all over again getting the consumers to be left doing all the footwork and being careful with recycling and all that enviorment goals and stuff being pushed on consumer, same with everything enviroment based. fines in generals are rich mans way of being able to get away with things.

think of taxes and fines as "ahh thats okay, thats fine you're allowed to do that aslong you pay me/us you can keep doing what you're doing. and hey if you can afford to do it, we are happy to keep charging you for doing it".

and in regards to the link, see what he was replying/responding to. it was your post and your words

dunnes naas, aldi monkstown/glenegary, buujum georges street, an aldi or liddle in carrickmines, and like 4 or so more in random places far away from dublin like cork and wexford, or waterford. something with a W

there was a tesco, like 2 aldi or lidl's, and a dunnes. but the dunnes one got bad publicity due to decreasing the prices their RVM gave coming up to christmas time a year or 2 back.

dundrum has an RVM too, but that doesnt count as its only for charity and gives no cash or voucher back lol

boojums rvm requires a touch screen phone and their app downloaded, to make use of. And goes by a camera technology rather than any barcodes needed. Also requires a purchase before being able to avail of the "free food rewards" their machines gives you a random chance at getting based on how many units deposited.

You've proved sweet f all.

You've proved a handful of RVMs were rolled out in the country. There's no evidence they achieved anything. There's no evidence for the rationale for them. It's speculation. You're seeing what you want and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was obviously a rationale for rolling them out, or they wouldn't have been. One of the speculative answers is therefore possibly the correct one. How would you expect to find this evidence? This should suggest to you the limits of your "there's no evidence" argument.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And an equally plausible answer is that there was no benefit to the retailer otherwise they would have been rolled out earlier and been widespread.

Lidl on their own scheme and under ReTurn operate on different financial models. They're not comparable.

What exactly does the fact there's been a handful of RVMs prove? Nothing imo. If Lidl could make massive money on them, they would have rolled them out nationwide earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was a cost to the trial because the deposit return was being funded directly by retailers - and they still did it. It's not about making massive money, it is about bringing in more customers that the long run will make you massive money.

It is entirely plausible and reasonable to argue that larger stores having an RVM will be a 'pull' factor to shoppers over nearby smaller competitors who do not have them. In the long run, the RVMs will make money for large retailers, enough to recover the initial outlay. And that is purely on operating the scheme not even counting possible snatching of new customers. And large chains have the deep pockets to fund the initial outlay.

You now have a situation where smaller shops are mandated by law to effectively advertise a service offered by their competitor. And if you make a purchase in small store, the consumer needs to go to the competitor to reclaim the deposit.

The economies of scale favour larger retailers on this.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Exactly right.

DRS / RVM is very good news for large retailers (who can afford these machines). Its a challenge for medium retailers, and a definite threat to small.

It is also very good news for large producers, as for a small change in packaging they get to keep their largely plastic packaging paradigm. With everything now green, there is overnight "no problem" with billions of single use containers.

If there is one group that has no winner its the consumer group.

• Advertisement

No, i've proved you wrong on most of the things you were talking about. you just complain that im talking to much and give up and leave the convo then come back in next day starting fresh and forgetting all previous convo almost. i ask you questions who's answer shows the previous points i was making, or answers direct issues you've raised in convo, and countered everything possible. You're being biased in favor of the scheme instead of having an honest discussion about it, thats where the problem lays.

explain to me how "business obviously arr'nt doing it for mother nature or out of the kindness of their heart" is speculation? its more of an obvious fact than it is speculation. Business is not a charity. Money is money.

even with putting barcodes on the bottom of cans you seemed to had forgotten the whole reason it was even brought up here in the first place.

you give replies but rarely any of them ever answer my questions, some i've even had to ask twice or more.

even had to explain green tax to you, only for you to then disregard it entirely and not give your opinion, after having it explained under the false pretense of getting an answer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement