Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yes but it wouldn't have the emotional connection.

The house also looked like it hadn't been touched in years. So just general upgrading would cost a pretty penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Surgeons don't deal with red herrings. This lady was very capable of communicating her needs to Bannon without playing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Nope, he mentioned starting work as a messenger boy so he may well have left school early. If he left school at 17 in 82, he'd still be in his late fifties now.

I know but you need to be practical about the emotional connection. The new building bears zero resemblance to their old home anyway.

If they bought a house in similar condition requiring upgrading but on a corner site the options and ultimately their levels of comfort and luxury would be so much better.

• Advertisement

Why do they need to be practical?

They can afford it and it's what they want.

Everyone spends their money the way they see fit.

For example, at one point my brother's car loan was more than my mortgage...to me that was crazy, but he does alot of driving and wanted comfort, he also wanted that particular brand....he could afford it....while I was rattling around in my lil fiesta 😂 our priorities were different, but we'd still end up in the same destination at the same time.(once speed limits were kept)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its big money but its literally why "location, location, location" is so important.

They know what they are getting, and essentially the full "service history" of the house.

They loved the location, for practical purposes, there's a massive "useable" green area in the middle of the eestate (these are damn near impossible to find in newer and evey older estates) - they had plenty family links and I suppose most importantly for them - they could afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thanks for that. I figured someone would know or find the area.

The respondent got an architects opinion, then just made onservations. Maybe the architect told them it was pointless to object.

A precedent has been set now for others to do this in the immediate area.

I would do something like this, but perhaps keep the area open, car port style. The comments on how it looks don't dispell from what it did for /adds to the living space. Outside is not that important to the utility value of the interior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

You think this woman lied on national television about her mother so Dermot wouldnt use the space for something else?

I dont think they said the mother was in bad health. Her father is and when he dies, her mother may want to live with them. Nothing got to do with health on the mothers side, but perhaps loneliness or peace of mind. Maybe the mother suffers from depression and she is worried about her being on her own. This way she would live with one of her daughters and be beside the other.

I get that the regular posters in here like to think of themselves as experts in building, architecture and planning when they probably couldnt build a Lego set but I think a post like that is in very poor taste tbh

As a matter of interest, if this was her parents house why did they move out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm assuming one-off changes to the streetscape like this would be granted on some kind of "enhances the architectural integrity of the street yada yada" type of basis/clause.

I wouldn't be as hopeful for your car port getting permission unless you had half a million and a top architects firm behind you.

I think it was the granny's house.

So I presume, her parents bought down the road from the granny.

Granny died and house sold.

Sister then bought down the road from her mother.

Granny's house came up for sale again....I presume they knew the owners and they agreed once she matched the first offer they'd sell to her.

She bought in early 2000's so before the whole craziness that was the tiger!

I could be wrong but I think that's how it played out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Don't know about that Renko. Spoken to a couple on the last few years and they could be fairly hard to nail down.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Niall_76

I thought the front looked terrible. But from memory their 2 houses weren’t the same as the ones beside them and also Dermot mentioned bringing the extension out to the same level as the neighbour’s place so they might be two reasons planning was granted for it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Here's what the Planners thought of the front extension...

"The proposed development of a first storey extension with gable roof above the existing side extension would generally respect the pattern of development in the area in terms of the existing building lines, roof profiles and urban form of the street. On this basis, it is considered that it would make a positive contribution to the existing streetscape."

Also for anyone concerned about Granny's access to a downstairs bathroom.. like like it was nicely accounted for in the plans at least..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭gipi

Did it have a gable roof? I thought it was flat on the 2nd floor?

And they removed the existing single floor extension rather than extending upwards?

I think the roof detail wasn't clear from the camera angles, but it looked like it had a slightly recessed roof to avoid an overhang.. so not flat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Would be good to see the wider area.

While I think it looked unresolved I’ have no love for the existing architecture. That style of house is so unoriginal and bland.

• Advertisement

Thanks @spockety, all I could see was a box attached to the side of the house!

Also on the costs.. I was stunned.. but from the plans it looks like a demolition of 46 sq metres, complete retrofit of 76 sq metres (including a new roof), plus 114 sq metres of new build for a combined total 190 sq metres..

So 600k is explainable.. everyone can have their own opinion on whether you'd invest that in that project in that location.

If you're talking about medical judgements, that's an entirely different story. She didn't get where she is today in a male dominated sector by faffing around with red herrings when she needs someone to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭GolfPar

Final granting of planning was only at the start of August last year. Tight schedule to get it all turned around so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Not very. We had a scene where the house was gutted, lots of decisions were not being made and the builder was complaining that he had an impossible amount of work to do in 7 weeks. A minute later Dermot was walking up the street to the finished house. Something happened that meant they decided to cut possibly the most interesting part of the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Thanks for that, but I would lve to know how come he got away with building something different to what is on that Bannon drawing above in your post?

For example, The window of the extension in the drawing above - the only perforation in that wall, which is the front wall of the house and facing the road / closest to the road - is square and the exact same size and proportions as the other three upstairs windows.

Was was built is a tall narrow window, at least 3 times tall as it is wide, totally out of keeping with the rest of the streetscape.

Also, from the drawing, you would think there is a pitched roof on the front extension, to match all the other houses in the area. Instead all that is visible from the road is a box, like two shipping containers, one on top of the other, painted up. From the photos and from the tv programme, no pitched roof is visible on that front extension, it just looks like a flat roofed box joined on to the house like a carbuncle. Even from the most sympathetic angle the tv company could photo it from ( sideways on, and from behind a few branches ), it still looks pathetic and hideous. No wonder everyone hates it. Let us hope it does not set a precedent for other FRONT extensions in housing estates.

Actually, I didn't see this view on the programme.

I quite like that and can see the planners argument now.

That's the kind of view I remember - no sloping roof visible there, it just looks like a large box tacked onto the side of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Do you have a link /photo ? Because all anyone else can see is a box.

From the front elevation it looks worse than in the photo above, because you do not see the brick on the side of the extension then, or even the front door.

And should not the window have matched the planning drawings, instead of being completely different shape?

Advertisement