Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It’s considered a safe country of origin and their applications are treated differently.

“A new accelerated application procedure for those from safe countries of origin was introduced in November 2022. 

Applicants from a designated safe country of origin receive their interview date on the day they apply for international protection reducing their waiting time for an interview to a matter of weeks.”

Apparently, the numbers have halved in the past year. Albanians made up the largest number for a number of years, but they have fallen away to hardly any recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Is it as dishonest as assuming all single non national males are here to hurt out women?

So what is the answer then. You have already agreed that people coming with no documents from war torn countries etc should be allowed in, but people with no documents can tell authorities anything just to get in.

So how do you create a system that isn't open to abuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

And those are examples of 'coming to dominate host countries' are they?

Pakistan has been predominantly Muslim since inception.

Afghanistan since the middle ages.

Lebanon has been mixed but in the last 50-70 years leans demographically to a Muslim majority.

Again, feel free to tell us how that would realistically work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You have a point, however I'm guessing that there is some kind of "watch" list at EU border control, presumably provided by Europol. There might be free movement but EU citizens must produce a passport on initial entry to a Schengen country, and again at Non Schengen like Ireland. At least there is an EU wide police system in place. Many criminals have been arrested and charged/deported to country of origin to face charges under a European Arrest Warrant.

While I accept that EU citizens have free movement, at least there is a way of tracking them if they commit a crime in an EU country. I'm not so sure that non EU could be identified if their country of origin was either unknown (documents destroyed), or from a country that doesn't have a mutual extradition treaty or is not a signatory/member of Interpol.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

You are correct that those closest to you are more likely to harm you but that's just so obvious to state, and to use it as an excuse to not look at Ireland's handling of immigration and try to change it is repugnant.

"Hey, keep importing materials that might harm the population because we make plenty of things that harm our own." Bad logic.

Ashling Murphy wasn't killed on a jog by her boyfriend. The two gay gentleman killed, one of whom was decapitated, were not murdered by their fathers.

And I'm for immigration but I'm not going to blindly defend something that clearly requires refinement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

That's not true.

Lebanon was primarily a Christian country, Pakistan Hindu and Afghanistan Buddhist

I've already said I don't know what the answer is

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

Would tell my daughters to be wary if out and about but everyone would know the local weirdos. The local weirdos know thete is consequences for molesting women and children and they grow up seeing how men should relate to women.

Some of those men tossing passports have committed serious crimes in their own countries snd are here to escape justice.They have grown up in a culture where their mothers snd sisters are treated like dirt.

They are way over represented in rape cases before our courts, some heading out with the sole aim of raping young women who they have been taught to despise.

just grow up, read the room, go out with an attractive young girl and see the in your face harassment some of these non national men engage in. They make sure their own women stay indoors, never leave the house without male minders and have to cover themselves up.

Seriously, sweden is decades ahead of us on this and you want us to believe you know better than them.

Give it a rest.

Why dont you canvass all you neighbours and request a big centre in your locality to hold up to five thousand male asylum seekers, lets hear the answers you get on the door step.

Not replying to anymore of your nonsense, this country is being ruined.

• Advertisement

What, Afghanistan was Buddhist???

That's like saying Ireland was Druidic!

Bring back the Fir Bolg. Decent lads.

And Pakistan was never Hindu, it separated from a predominantly Hindu country.

As for Lebanon, there was a small Christian minority, now it's predominantly Muslim.

To say these were 'host countries which became dominated by Muslim' is plain daft, at the kindest interpretation.

Yes there is. Ireland are part of the schengen information system, even though we are not in schengen. This will highlight people with warrants out for them, or missing persons or persons wanted in relation to crimes etc. It's a good system and at least Ireland is now part of it.

It doesn't flag any criminal convictions for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure what you mean by non EU being identified? Like if they are on the run when they arrive? Agree it is a problem, but we have identified people here previously through fingerprints, with assistance of Interpol and other police forces. Not quick, not easy and absolutely some will get through the cracks, but what is our alternative? Given our legislation

But we are not importing things that will harm us.

We allow people to immigrate here, some people commit crime.

What would you prefer to happen?

I'm not sure coming from a country that's a member of Interpol is much of a factor.

I suspect much more relevant is that most countries outside of the 'developed west' just don't have the same computerized and robust IT systems we have.

I could be 'vetted' here because any interaction I've had with AGS is recorded in the Pulse system and can be easily searched.

If I came from most other countries in the world those systems just don't exist.

So calling for 'vetting' is really just calling for the impossible.

Besides, the cases I see repeatedly thrown around here... Puskas, Sligo, Dublin stabbings... I don't think the offenders, or suspected offenders had even committed crimes before coming here.

They are way over represented in rape cases before our courts,

You have statistics to back this up I assume?

just grow up, read the room, go out with an attractive young girl and see the in your face harassment some of these non national men engage in

Presumably you have seen the harassment that any woman has to put up with from Irish men? Because that's an everyday occurrence for some of us. And even at that, I don't assume all Irish men are like that, most are not. But harassment is daily.

There are people living in direct provision quite close to me, no issues around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Eh, it was spread by the sword from day one. Try a wee bit harder.

I'm not sure who you mean by 'they' but according to AGS IP groups are not any more likely to be involved in serious crime.

I can see the legitimate concerns people have around large numbers of young men being dumped in towns with little or no Garda presence.

Unemployed, young men are more likely to commit crime.

Despite what some sections of the media, and elements online, like to portray, culture or nationality isn't a factor in who commits crime.

Um, I'd suggest you go have a read up on the history of Christianity.

You think it came peacefully to Africa and South America? Not to mind the centuries of religious wars within Europe and the 'ol Crusades of course.

That is very true and I don't think anyone would deny that groups of men with no outlet and nothing to do all day are likely to commit crime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Yes 60 percent are rejected, this is at a minimum the majority

• Advertisement

You changed my words from "might harm" to "will harm". A subtle change but not what I said. Clearly some people have and will be harmed by a continued trajectory of the handling of immigration by the Irish government. I've just given you the three most famous recent victims who were harmed by it, and that's not including people who have been robbed, assaulted, raped etc. I also haven't included all the people who are affected by a dramatic population increase due to immigration who want to buy a house, visit a doctor or want to put their child in a classroom of 30+ kids.

What would I prefer to happen? An immediate halt to all immigration until the thousands of cases of asylum are adjudicated and the people who are determined not to be genuine are deported. Not at the paltry rate the government is currently operating at. It will take literal years just to handle the ones currently in the country, let alone the ones added with each coming year. (However, I imagine an amnesty will be offered to those who have failed or are awaiting a decision instead of doing the hard work.)

Those that arrive at an airport without documentation have their details taken and sent back to the country the plane departed from.

Then I'd like a merit based system of asylum. Ireland needs construction workers, teachers, doctors, nurses, engineers, IT professionals, urban planners, energy scientists etc. Accept those that pass the requirements and are in genuine need of asylum.

All of the above would improve the country for the Irish people as well as the immigrants already here.

Everything was spread by sword in the middle ages🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The alternative is obvious. No papers or ID, no entry. At least that's how I understand Border Control works in most countries. But reasons will be given for them having no ID such as persecution, fleeing with the coat on their backs, whatever. Thing is, they got out of the country and onto a plane. How?

An immediate end to all immigration? UK and EU citizens?

As for the merit based asylum system, asylum is not a mechanism to get Labour into a country or for someone that wishes to get a job to get into a country. The reason for claiming asylum is that a person has

' well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion’, and you cannot seek the protection of your country'

That's the entire reason it exists.

perhaps we need to issue more work permits to non EU persons, make it easier for them to come here to a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The Gardai have stated on a number of occasions over the past two years that they have not recorded any significant increase in criminal activity or public order issues directly caused by international protection applicants at any location where international protection applicants are being accommodated.

Our legislation allows for asylum seekers to have no documentation. As to how they got on a plane, sure we know some have false documents, some dump them, some give them back to the traffickers. A newspaper report few weeks ago stated that 50% actually get on the plane with no documents. I don't know how.

If the EU could change the GDPR regulations to allow the sharing of information, the airlines could do a lot more.

If course, non documented a at Dublin airport was just over 3600, asylum seekers were over 13,000

Yes. To all. The ones here today are given tents and told to sleep on the street. Could you be given a clearer example that Ireland is at capacity? Imagine your house has been flooded, water is gushing out each window and you decide to not turn off the taps and instead take out a whiteboard to draw possible measures that could be taken in the future to mitigate the flooding.

You say it's not used to gain labour yet one of the arguments for it is "Who will do all the jobs the Irish don't want to do". Not saying you have said that just thought it was humerous.

As you say, it's for "well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion’, and you cannot seek the protection of your country."

The world population is 8 billion. There are literal millions of construction workers, teachers, doctors, nurses, engineers, IT professionals, urban planners, energy scientists as well as all the other areas Ireland is lacking in who feel persecuted for the above. Take them.

But you cannot implement an asylum system based on someone's work skills, because it ignores the very reason they are claiming asylum.

Just open up to more non EU workers.

Also, how will you stop UK and EU citizens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But they could have if 20 buildings hadn't been burned down

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement