Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

thanks, i'm bookmarking that link and going to read alot into it later. Is there any money to be made from it? like if i catch alot of shops out with this and inform whoever its needed, do i get cash?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Businesses are doing it because they're legally mandated to do it. If it is as lucrative as you're implying, why did 70% of shops opt out? Why didn't Lidl roll out more RVMs on their scheme if it was so lucrative?

cool so now you're finally answering the question, regarding the machines before feb 1 (the ones i keep calling trials) if they're also legally mandated then thats quite odd as the mandate is only meant to be for the feb 1st scheme.

My point isnt "hey look how profitable and lucrative this is" like you keep saying im saying, my point you've just replied to, clearly was about them not really being pro green at all.

Its not speculative, its obvious they didn'nt do it out of the kindness of their heart, or for mother nature. But if you wanna talk about lucreative i'd say it was a businuess move and a trial on their part.

answering your question "Why didn't Lidl roll out more RVMs on their scheme if it was so lucrative?" because maybe it was'nt feasible enough since their machine was in hard to access places, or maybe their little trial had failed could also be why, or maybe because it got over shadowed by the new feb 1st scheme which mandates them. Either way how can one say there was no profit, when the vouchers they offered at the time forced people to spend them in their store? Can you not see the businuess gimmick of getting people in the door? the voucher was only a voucher, not cash. Its a guaranteed sale of atleast 1 item. And this is'nt even touching on the cans/bottles themself, this is just the inherent nature of the vouchers alone.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭con747

I would imagine it is because it wasn't mandatory then to return the items for a refund you can only use in that one store whereas now it is so you have no choice but go back to that store or another store to get your refund which you can only spend in that store now. So it kind of is lucrative if you only have a limited number of stores near you. I have 2 within my shopping area in the area I live in the country 6 miles away so I have no choice but return to them if I want my refund back.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Can you in like 2 sentences sum up what point you're trying to make because I've no idea.

You just go off on tangents bringing in irrelevant information and then say you've proved your point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Do you think the Lidl support and implementation of the unofficial trial were most likely mandated from Germany ?

Both Lidl and Aldi had a head start because they already had extensive experience with RVMs.

yes okay, pick a point and i'll give you 2 sentences answer on whatever point question you ask about.

i'm all ears

Aslong as they pay their "green tax" they can continue polluting. Essentially its profiting off of their pollution, by taxing it. Some intentionally choose to pay this tax instead of refusing to pollute, because more money (what they really care about).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is a numbers game. You need to be selling a very large number of cans and bottles to pay back the costs of the RVM and annual maintenance (and account for loss of usable space cos of the machine). The shops get I think it is 2c (?) per returned item. So, once you get to a certain point, the cans and bottles and bringing in revenue to the store. That's purely based on operating the scheme without consideration as to whether having the RVM will drive business to your store.

Smaller stores won't get to that point. Some smaller stores wouldn't have space for an RVM and storing the bottles etc would be logistically tricky. I do think the exemption size was set too high though, it should have only been for very small shops. I think the lack of manual returns and high number of exemptions is a flaw in the scheme, given it is has a very high target of 90%.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

A Numbers game yes, thank you good sir! or maddam, i'm unsure. But thanks.

The spending of the voucher is a garenteed instore purchase of atleast 1 item

Aldi objected to the scheme.

I've no idea why Lidl rolled out their own RVMs. I don't think it was for profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're the same RVMs they're using for Re-Turn; so it wasn't even a case of rolling them out - they were doing so anyway.

Why do you think Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco, and Supervalu are in it for the money by installing RVMs for this Thursday?

it won't be, deposits will only be on stock containing the logo.

To answer your question: the logo has to be used because the people that made the scheme are being greedy and want full control over the scheme, and do not want people returning perfectly good cans and bottles that did'nt have a deposit paid on them initially, and bent the hands of the manufactoers into signing up for this scheme or else risk losing their custom to ireland, making it illegal to supply any more drinks unless the join.

And also because they don't want people saving/hoarding up bottles before Feb 1st, so people cant redeem like 100 bottles day 1 of the scheme (unless they purchase 100 new bottles bearing the logo that day) and also its meant to be for tracking the deposits or something, then recording that number and sending the info off to re-turns main system, to account for a total number of recycled/returned units

No deposit without the logo.

The logo identifies a bottle /can as one on which a deposit is paid so the deposit can be refunded.

i did'nt say that, i believe they're doing it solely because law is making them. And rather than leave the country and take their business elsehwere, they choose to stay and install.

Next question, or we can discuss this some more if you want? i'm happy either way, i don't mind

I thought that was unusual, the two companies with most knowledge of the system adopting completely different approaches.

which reminds me, if you happen to have any damaged cans/bottles with the logo on it still visible and fully intact, please give them to me and i'll put them to good use ;)

even rejected bottles have their use. i'm looking at this from a scientific approach and doing some experimentation :)

Then what exactly are you disagreeing with me on?

I've no idea why Lidl supported the scheme. I've no idea why any large retailer would. It's a hassle for them.

It's very odd one supported it and the other didn't.

That they're not doing for the good of mother nature, and that big business never engages with these sort of schemes out of the good of their heart. And then something about green tax.

• Advertisement

Who is "they"?

Retailers are doing it because the law compels them too, we agree there.

The government is doing it because the EU compels them too. I think we agree there.

At an EU level, i think it's a green initiative. Maybe we disagree there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Just on the numbers.

There are c. 1800 locations with RVMs, and they are expected to process c. 1.8bn containers (90% success). Those 1.8bn items will generate €39.6m in retailer commission (2.2c per item). (I am assuming negligible manual returns, which I think is consensus).

On average then, each machine will process 1m items annually and therefore generate €22,000 annually.

Of course, bell curves will apply, some machine locations will be way under 1m items, others will be far above 1m (250,000 items p.a. per machine is considered the level at which certain government supports become available, so under that volume the machine is considered unviable at 2.2c per item alone).

Convenience and local retail will likely have an average somewhere below 1m, with Large retail tending to be somewhere above 1m average - meaning that even though they may have a higher spec / volume machine, large retail will have their investment paid for in as little as 1-2 years.

A point I made earlier is that large grocery retail typically makes just 1-3% net profit. So that 4 pack of Coke Zero cans that sells in Dunnes for €4.90 (before DRS) probably makes them 10c profit on sale. The four cans returned to a Dunnes RVM earns them 8.8c - about as much as the sale. This 'double dip' is even more stark on larger multi-packs, such as 24 bottles of water for €6. €0.15 or so profit on the sale, but €0.53 on the returned bottles. (I am aware that I am comparing operating profits on sales with gross commission on returns, absolutely a cost is required for local RVM maintenance, etc).

it is, my argument was they was'nt doing it for nothing, and also not for the good of the earth either. was their own self serving interests

It's interesting to speculate but I suppose it's really only a sideshow, the main event starts on Thursday.

"They" can be anyone, but in the context of this discussion. The "they" i was reffering to in you last reply (because law was making them) was the the businuess getting the machines put in, rather than leave the country and take their buisnuess elsewhere, they decided to comply on those merits. And not out of the kindness of their heart, or compassion for mother nature.

Entirely business related reasons. The loss of business in ireland is more expensive to them business wise than the cost of having these machines installed.

As myself and others have already stated, its all a numbers game and virtue signalling. There's no true desire to save mother nature behind this, otherwise all cans would be accepted and a bunch of other stuff too

i don't disagree that this is a green initiative at an EU level, it looks more like a case of ireland having to pull their socks up and reach good numbers like other countries are doing and already have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

I would imagine Lidl may used their trial to assess likely consumer behavior so they could better plan for their stores across Ireland.

For example they would know after the trial how likely a customer is to bring back bottles with a non-Lidl barcode, how long it typically takes for the average punter to work out how to use an unattended machine, and if that time drops as they become more familiar, they could learn if different locations (inside or out) work best, whether people dump other things at the machine (cardboard boxes or bags), how likely the machine is to malfunction; they might even be able to tell how many RVMs are needed based on different store footfall, or to test their barcode vouchers are going to work at the till.

It may even have been contractual - e.g. supply contract subject to a successful trial, or competing suppliers against each other to win the roll-out.

I think a large business packing up and leaving over this would be wild. They're staying because Ireland is profitable for sure. I think they'd prefer this scheme doesn't exist (Lidl aside).

I think the longer term plan is to build a recycling plant. Recycle the material. Sell it back to industry.

Germany has a 93.5% recycling rate for these materials. We don't.

I think we disagree on very little then. The current scheme is setup solely based on collection only.

"The current scheme is setup solely based on collection only"

Yes, as was the bin men who also take recycling. It's all collection only, then they re-sell it to other countries to pick through it. There is no number being recorded for the recyclables that go through the hands of these bin men, is there? (rhetorical question, answer is no).

The deposit is in hopes that people redirect their recycleables towards re-turn instead of the local green bins. Will ireland reach 90% target by bullying people into participating? ireland really got the wind blown up their behind and embaressed with bad recycling rates, its almost like they're panicking and forcing the consumers to help up these numbers. Through using bullying tactics of holding our deposits ransom. They expect alot of free help and free work with this.

They don't care about people who already recycle, they only care about reaching their target goal. They should be paying us to reach it, not the other way around. They are lucky people even bother to recycle in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

I read the repak ireland recycling rates 2022. Makes very interesting reading. While focused heavily on business, as they are, they do mention :

Household recycling: 2022 saw an unsurpassed performance in the increase of recycling from the household (consumers) sector. This evidence proves that the re-introduction of all plastics in the household mixed dry recyclables (MDR) bin was the correct and indeed necessary decision to drive recycling.

Yet apparently now, undoing part of the M in MDR somewhat is a good thing because... Hmmm. The M im thinking of is aluminum, not plastic.

It goes on to recognize that plastic bottles are a known problem where we are failing, but also states with that exception, we are well ahead of all eu targets for 2025 in various waste stream %. Significantly in some areas.

So why were aluminum cans included in this when the rates on those are actually good as it is?

The amount of effort the people have made in Ireland to totally change habits for the better over the past 20-30 years really is commendable and this is a kick in the teeth to everybody who has endeavoured to do the right thing for years. All wrapped up in a green fluffy blanket in the hope nobody will argue.

Its also a kick in the teeth to the waste companies who have provided a vital service ever since the councils werent arsed anymore. A thankless, smelly job, but as the repak rates show, one done quite well. Except for bottles. So why are cans included in this? Proper waste companies have made substantial investments in machinery and personnel to quite adequately deal with this. We all know, we pay annual bills to them for this service.

And as for anybody who is disabled, without transport, shops online, doesnt have space or ability to store amd/or carry pristine cans, already pays for this service with a local waste company, anyone who has always done the right thing, which is actually still the right thing, anyone who never littered, or anybody who might grab something on the go and cant carry the container around, yeah well these things cant suit 100% of people so suck it up.

But convenient for everybody.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement