Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Anyway best of luck to Paddy on the Kilkenny captaincy. What’s the problem every Kilkenny person should be supporting him no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Comerman

Twinkle is one of the soundest men you could meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Charlie69

And the apple didn’t fall far from the tree…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Congratulations to Paddy Deegan. He always turns up and gives his all. He has his limitations as an intercounty hurler but his shooting accuracy is insane as is his engine. I think Derek Lyngs challenge is to find a suitable position for him and leave him there. For me it's midfield ,the further forward midfielder because he's not good at marking or tracking if he was the holding midfielder. That's my tuppence worth on him.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭blackcard

I agree, Paddy is a whole hearted hurler, doesn't always give the correct pass but is good at long distance scoring. We are struggling with midfielders so I think there is a role for him there with Adrian Mullen back in the forwards, dropping back occasionally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭usualstripes

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

Wexford going well so far. Plenty of promise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Keith rossiter is a good lad. He should get the best out of them. He obviously wants to get off on the right foot and they look to have a nice bit of hurling done.He has a good few new faces. Aaron duggan was on goal today. Wexford will need an injection of new faces alot of the older lads have alot of mileage.You could see what franks and jason ryan are bringing to the table. Its a nice little confidence booster today but its a long year and no one will remember today in a few months time.

Lyng was very dissapointed with the performance in callan so next sunday should be a good match. The loughlins lads joined the panel a few days ago so we might see some of them. Its very hard to guess a team but id expect a strong team with hopefully a few new lads. I heard eoin cody saying he was really enjoying the pre-season. The couple of shamrocks lads will be a big help this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Lyng will name a strong team for sure, he is surely sick of losing to Wexford at this stage!

It could be a feisty enough match, looking forward to it I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Wexford have a couple of outstanding young talents coming through. I was very impressed with Conor Foley in the backs and Bryne in the forwards last year. They have seemed to transition to the seniors at ease so far, these 2 are way ahead of anything Kilkenny have introduced under age in the last few years

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Mikey Butler, Eoin Cody and A Mullen are still young and have won numerous awards between them.

The 3 named are all 24/25 this year. They are now seasoned hurlers. When I mention underage the last few years i mean u21 in the last 2/3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

2 good players for sure but on any rational analysis, Kilkenny hurling at all levels is in a much better place than Wexford at the moment.

Wexford teams tend to perform very well against Kilkenny teams, but repeatedly flop after this, suggesting their performances versus Kilkenny are outliers.

They will likely have just one team , Good Counsel, competing in A schools next year, and they are usually backboned with Kilkenny hurlers.

Wexford are not in a good place, which gives me no pleasure whatsoever.

Splitting hairs. They were 21 3/4 years ago and are, as you said, already seasoned players. Let's wait and see how recent under 20/21s develop and if they're all star material, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Think we beat Waterford comfortably enough in a challenge game yesterday, don't have any details of teams or anything but good to get another game in before league starts next week.

Interesting. Anybody with any info might post it.

Both very poor underage last few years. Wexford beat Kilkenny in the Park under 20 last year. They were much the better team . The year before Kilkenny won by a point. I think Wexford were missing a player who played senior intercounty

And Kilkenny weren't missing any player! God forbid we enjoy a win!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Yes but that player has made no impression with Wexford since as he didn't make their u20 team last year never mind Senior, you love being the Half glass empty type around here.

Mikey Butler, D Blanchfield have been blooded in last 2 years and have been very impressive obviously.

Your right about our U20's from 2 years ago not making much of an impression on Senior scene yet, Gearoid Dunne and Billy Drennan have had a few moments last year but we'd all like to see them and more players to step it up, reality is it takes most players to develop properly at Senior Intercounty these days in general, we just have to be patient unfortunately.

Post edited by kentu on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Don't think its totally accurate to say were not in good place, what I would say is how are strength in depth struggled the last couple of years is there wasn't many lads born 1999-2001 pushing hard for places, we'd a decent crop of lads a year and 2 years older with the 2 Recks and Rory O'Connor for example but only James Lawlor in goal nailed down a place last year ( and that's up for grabs this year) from the 3 year period I mentioned, Charlie Mcguckin might this year alright compare that with yourselves with Mullen, Carey, Eoin Cody, David Blanchfield and Cian Kenny coming through and maybe someone I'm forgetting. No guarantee they'll fulfil it but I think the lads born 2002-03 have alot of potential for ourselves i.e the team's that lost the 2 leinster u20 finals to yourselves in 2022 and 2023 to Offaly. 6 of those lads started yesterday vs Galway Eoin Ryan, Cian Molloy, Richie Lawlor, Conor Foley, Corey Byrne Dunbar and Cian Byrne, all 6 started in 22 and the last 3 named were underage last year too vs Offaly, 5 of them started last week in Callan while Molloy replaced Foley when he was injured. Something wasn't right at all with our panel last year, the day against Westmeath was the worst I've seen a Wexford team play in hurling, football, camogie or ladies football.

Not being smart but don't how much schools records can be read into, alot depends on a schools pick, if schools records converted to adult ye would be dominanting at national level based on Kierans record. On that topic noticeable not as much discussion after Offaly schools competing this year when they didn't have a team of the quality good enough to win Leinster.

Finally ment to say those lads on the KCLR podcast are so badly informed, apparently at least 7 definite starters were playing for Wexford even though I'd say only 5 or 6 of them have started championship games, and Galway essentially had a development team playing even though Eanna Murphy, Jack Grealish, GMac, Ronan Glennon, Tom Monaghan and Kevin Cooney all started with Niland, Darren Morrissey and Cianan Fahy all coming on.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

Thanks for the insight. Some lovely prospects there. Young Foley looks an outstanding prospect. Wexford are building quietly and seem to have it over Kilkenny the last few years. Getting to a Leinster final with that team is a must

Post edited by Village87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Mikey carey will also be a help this year. Cian kenny and darragh Corcoran are on the fringes and are probably only 23/24. They havent made it yet unfortunately.Conor heary and stephen donnelly similar age should get a few runs this year. Its a fair jump for a 19 or 20 year old to make it onto a senior team. Liam collins from galway who was excellent underage looked like a child coming on for galway last year. I thought donal o shea would also have made it by now.That u20 team we had was a young team. I would obviously like a few to make the transition but its not easy. Lyng started to blood rowe,clifford, dunne,drennan last year. He will try moylan, ian byrne and harry shine this year.

Derek tried to get a final squeeze from codys team last year but he now realizes that team isnt good enough and needs surgery. We all have a fair idea of the positions that need improving and it all starts this weekend. Its a great match to get. Wexford put up a good score and will always raise it playing kk. I know kk were fierce dissapointed with how callan went. Rossiter could reward his players who have won silverware but lyng will want to get a win because theres 3 tough away matches to come plus he will want to stop the rot. You would expect a strong team with a few newcomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Thanks for post, very informative from a Wexford perspective.

But can’t agree on schools’ success being largely irrelevant.

Once our clubs and schools are performing well, I won’t be too pessimistic, and they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

From what I heard both Kilkenny and Waterford had strong teams out on Sunday and Kilkenny won comprehensively, 4-20's to 1-10's I didn't hear the full team but they few I heard were.

T Walsh, C Delaney, P Moylan (T Walsh replaced by N Rowe and P Moylan replaced -both half time)

D Blanch D Corcoran, J Molloy- half back

A Mullen, C Heary- Half Forward

Liam Blanch, Billy Ryan- FF line

Waterford had Bennett, Hutchinson and plenty of others out.

A recovery of sorts after the Callan mess

Great to see Nowlan park getting UPMC James Nowlan honoured with the U20 final. I sincerely hope we can make the final and win it, now that would be something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Wexford are limi

Kilkenny won the U20 AI 2 years ago. Could have won a minor the year before. Where were all these Wexford superstars when Offaly beat them in the Leinster final last year? I'd personally take what we have up and coming ahead of them any day. At least this post doesn't mention Paddy Deegan. I was delighted for you when I heard he was made captain. How will you react if he lifts some silverware next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Yeah your club scene is extremely healthy at the moment. I'd say about 5 of the best 12 clubs in Leinster at the moment are Kilkenny clubs, for what its worth I'd say its Ballyhale, OLG, Dicksboro, Bennettsbridge, Tullaroan, along with the recent top 4 clubs in Dublin and also along with Naas, Mount Leinster and Kilcormac from Offaly.

Wouldn't go as far to call schools success irrelevant but at the same time it isn't something you'd hang your hat on. I'm honestly not trying to be like Clare poster who just posts to get a reaction but realistically and its nothing new or unique to Kierans that a schools pick has a big impact, its a factor in Kierans recent AI record, Ard Scoil Ris recent Harty record and same going back previous era's with schools in like Flannans and Colmans.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

RTE news : SuperValu sponsorship deal agreed over Páirc Uí Chaoimh

That's the end of my shopping in Super Valu.

• Advertisement

I have nothing against Deegan i just do not rate him as an Inter County hurler, yes he tries hard but has so many other limitations. How many All Irelands has he at any level ? He has been taken to the cleaners numerous times in big games in Croke Park. Kilkenny have not won an All Ireland senior in a long time and i don't think they will with players like Deegan in the team. Apologies if my onionin hurts some members on here but that is my onionin. As for his club mate Huw Lawlor, he is a super full back and we are blessed to have him.

Advertisement