Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That Evoke article is a reprint (syndication, I guess) of the Mail On Sunday article. The dinner with the Doyles features, but he obviously forgot to take a selfie, because it's strangely illustrated with a picture of Craig and Holly Willoughby.

In all fairness, he's going to have to do better than a 6 hour train journey to Cornwall where he doesn't even look out the window, only to come back early after having done nothing but eat a bacon sandwich and have a quick walk around town, to keep this column going. It's very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think Extra and Evoke are the Irish Daily Mail online.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I pointed this out to the same group of users in another thread a few weeks ago and they just decided to completely ignore it, and kept bringing up tax/PRSI/PAYE etc...

If the question of PAYE/USC is brought into this argument, it needs to be noted that any such liabilities lie between Tuttle Productions & Revenue, and RTÉ have nothing to do with it...

If Tesco buy their sausages from "Billy's Sausages LTD" and have a contract in place with Billy's Sausages LTD to supply sausages for €15k a month, and then suddenly Billy's Sausages LTD stopped sending sausages to Tesco, and Tesco went looking for their money back for the sausages they'd pre-paid for..., Billy's Sausages LTD can't just turn around to Tesco and say "well, we can't just give you back your €15k, because Billy (who is an employee of Billy's Sausages LTD) got paid last week, and has already had his tax deducted from his wages, so it's complicated'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭GSF

Dick & Dom following him today on Virgin. From the toyman to the kids entertainers

Couple of points here. First up, you're completely right about the PRSI and USC, and I've mentioned that up above. But there is corporation tax and VAT to take into account (remember, these payments were made in previous years, where the accounts with Revenue would already have been settled). But these are procedural obstacles, not outright blockers.

The blocker is that companies can't just ignore contractual obligations without amendments to, or replacements for, that contract. Companies are not obligated to act in what we individuals describe as in a "moral" way. They're legally required to selfishly act in their own best interests and the interests of their shareholders. Unilaterally handing back 150k to a client (a double digit percentage of revenue) when there is no contractual reason to do so is categorically not acting in the best interests of the company or the shareholders. This is the reality of the game. Stony capitalism is not a lifestyle-choice. It's baked into our legal system.

And this brings me to a couple of inaccuracies in your Tesco/sausage analogy. First up, Tesco (nor any other corporation with any sense) would never pay up front for stock or services. I'm not nitpicking here. Usually that wouldn't matter in an analogy. But why it does matter here is because it shows exactly how RTE messed up so much. Companies don't pay up front for goods and services, because doing so is such a huge risk and the money so difficult to get back if anything goes wrong. Suppliers always have to invoice after delivering the goods (except under extreme circumstances, where the supplier for some reason has a monopoly or the upper hand in the market in some way). The deal RTE entered into was ludicrous on two fronts. First up, paying for another company's business arrangements, and secondly, paying the supplier (Tubridy) up front.

But more than that, un your analogy, the Sausage company stop sending sausages to Tesco. They break the contract, and Tesco are right - obligated in fact - to go looking for their money back (however difficult that might be). In the actual Tubridy/RTE/Renault situation, the contract wasn't broken. As a matter of fact, the contract specifically calls on RTE to cover Tubridy's fees if Renault don't avail of the services. It wasn't that Tubridy didn't "deliver the sausages". It's that Renault said "Nah, we're ok for sausages, thanks" and RTE were contractually obliged to pay the sausage manufacturer anyway.

I'll address one other point from further up the thread. I can't remember who posted it.

It's the claim that since Tubridy told the PAC that he'd pay the money back, and he didn't, that he lied to the PAC. This is not necessarily the case. The situation changed. And this isn't some kind of Trumpian get-out-clause. It's a factual facet of life. The situation changed. If you tell your kid that you're going to bring them to the cinema on Saturday, and on Friday the cinema burns down, the fact that you can't bring them to the cinema doesn't mean that you lied to them. Every commitment we enter into can only be done "in good faith". We assume that there are no unforeseen mitigating circumstances that will prevent us from fulfilling the commitment. When Tubridy made that statement, he was in contract negotiations that, by all indications, had the 150k payment taken onto account. So he could make that statement at that time to the PAC in good faith. The contract was in the bag. When RTE unilaterally puled out of the negotiations some weeks later, the situation changed, and that commitment could no longer be met. This happens all the time in real life. My mother-in-lay appends "please God" to every commitment she makes or anyone makes to her. Literally. If you say "I'll see you tomorrow", she'll reply "Please God", because she 100% knows and feels that anything could come up to render that good-faith commitment null and void.

This is 100% RTE's fault, their mess, their cockup. And they should be 100% accountable for it. Saying that Tubridy is "morally obligated" to pay it back is just letting them off the hook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

The shareholder in this case is Tubs himself. If he judged it in his own best interest to take the morally correct path and pay back the €150K it ain't a breach of company law to do it. You're intent on finding obstacles where none exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Morgans

And when Tubridy tells the parliamentary committee (and the public) that he intends to pay the money back, but neglects to mention that what he means is he will pay it back if he gets a satisfactory upcoming RTE contract, is letting Tubridy off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

"Be Kind" only applies to the other account I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"When Tubridy made that statement, he was in contract negotiations that, by all indications, had the 150k payment taken onto account. So he could make that statement at that time to the PAC in good faith. The contract was in the bag. When RTE unilaterally puled out of the negotiations some weeks later, the situation changed, and that commitment could no longer be met"

Ahh here you're winding us up, right?

His statement couldn't have been clearer, no work done, money goes back. No conditions.

Cos he knew he'd have been eaten alive if he didn't accept that moral imperative. Now he's slunk away and forgotten his commitments, out of begrudgery for the position he helped put himself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

People with intellectual and physical disabilities can be annoying. Don’t see what the issue is with stating that. Or what it has to do with the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

In the 70s, even Wogan went home at the weekends. If I owned a house in Dalkey and was a multi-millionaire, and was only working for 3 hours a day, I wouldn't move to London, I'd just commute. Its doable. The poor me thing like he's in Mongolia is wearing a bit thin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭yagan

What's worse is there's been posters here asserting that's the move is a progression, whilst simultaneously calling it forced emigration.

You'd think team tubridy would have a narrative pegged down by now.

Doesny illuminate much. What do you want people on an Irish radio forum to talk about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

What makes you think he doesn't know anyone on here? I have it on good authority that he knows lots on here, and is wasting a lot of time thinking about us. He's very upset. But not upset enough to cough up his €150k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Maybe he didn't 'con' rte or the public out of 150,000 but his behaviour when first on camera and later as he began changing his tune speaks of a distasteful human with tenuous morals.

I completely disagree with him ever having any chance of returning to rte either it's setup now or with new (less?) questionable management in place.

The man simply doesn't deserve any chance. And if bakhurst and the govt had had more guts they would have dealt with Forbes and the rest sooner and quicker instead of th jokw that has been the past 6 months and letting DF scuttle off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ryan is a, very, “well adjusted” sort and, certainly, not the type to be obsessing about what is being said about him online.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not sure now reliable ratings for the VM show in UK will be, or when we might get them?

Could we get ratings for the Irish syndication on Q102 sooner??

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's JNLR figures due shortly for Q4 2023, so another 3 months for Q1 2024.

RAJAR much the same, except they provide some data to stations directly (not for publication) in between. Or at least used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Same registrant ( Associated Newspapers (Ireland) Limited )for the domain names.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I was a hugely admired and respected poster here back in the good old days. Bit of a boards legend tbh.

Hahaha

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

moderator: I've deleted a lot of off topic posts about who posts on and reads boards.ie which has nothing to do with the forum.

I vehemently disagree personally with the practice of giving system warnings (cards under the old system, points on this) merely for wondering off topic. having said that, I would appreciate not having to spend my evening reading every post to make sure it is associated with the topic of the forum. let's try and keep the balance please.

• One little thing… the contract had not been made at the time of his appearance in the presence of the PAC

I know. That’s why my post mentions he was in active contract negotiations at the time. Which he was.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

While Ryan is London I would recommend a visit to Tooting...

• Tubridy’s sausages had gone off at that stage, Renault didn’t want the smell hanging around their garages

Advertisement