Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

I wouldn't use the words you use or your rhetoric but yeah, the scheme is designed where the burden is on consumers.

I think a lot of our "recycled" goods end up in landfill or an incinerator. This scheme will eventually change that.

I don't see how you could feasibly use the current system to achieve 90%. I think this scheme will reach 90%. Easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i don't see how we can feasibly use either system to achieve 90%. if they're willing to put their hands in their pockets and change the scheme into a reward based system/intensive instead of a punishment based incentive, or atleast be willing to accept damaged cans at the very least, then they can achieve this 90% goal far much easier.

They want goals but don't want to put their hand in their pocket (but rather put their hands in everyone elses pockets) they can't have their cake and eat it. They're taking the piss, being unreasonable, and refusing to meet the people half way. They're demanding free help and don't want to play ball themselves.

The scheme is being manipulative towards inconvenienced peoples, to meet its number, via deposit ransom. Very taking advantage.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Germany has a 98% return rate. We rolling out an equivalent system. 90+% is plausible for this scheme.

I Understand what you're saying, but copy+paste what one country is succeeding at does'nt always carry over or can be applied as easily in other countries. Also germany has been at this way longer. We can't really compare ourselves to them.

Things like "Green Tax" give companies the green light to keep polluting the earth and wasting electric as long as the government get their cut of the money.

One could argue that choosing to forfeit the deposit monies on cans, by insisting on still cotninuing to put them in the green recycling bins, rather than bring them to the RVM's, is a sort of pseudo green tax in a round about way, or atleast a deposit tax

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@Archeron my understanding is aluminium cans were included in the scheme as they needed more volume / deposits into the scheme to pay for it all... the staff collecting, van runs, the rvms etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Interesting poll.

Almost 20,000 votes in under 36 hours. 1 in 3 won't be bothering.

The participation % of 64% is ball-park equivalent to the estimated recycle rate today.

Of course not. Many of those voting yes could be fake. 😋

i'd rather vote on this DRS scheme than vote for any parties tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Can you tell me where it is shown one of the long term plans of this scheme is to build a recycling plant?

• Advertisement

The CEO of ReTurn said it on the Claire Byrne show. You'll find the recording on RTE.

It's not to be fair, and neither is boards but speaking with people in the real world over the past couple of months, there will be pushback on this when it becomes a reality.

Whether that means people will decide to lose money on the double at the rates in those surveys is to be seen.

Is it documented anywhere in text or was it one of these things that were stated on the fly in an interview? Like a lot of what this scheme seems to be(poorly planned).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,626 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are already PET recyclers in Ireland (and have been for decades). They will need to scale up, but provision of better quality feed stock will help there.

Weirdly, despite having an absolutely huge packaging firm that make cans - Ardagh - based here, we don't have a can plant; but we do have significant aluminium industries due to having an alumina refinery which aren't particularly common; loads of large countries don't even have them,

I have not seen it anywhere in text. The first i heard of it was from the CEO but he briefly spoke about the viability of a plant and how it would only really make sense now.

L1011 has other info there i don't know about.

https://shabra.com/ been going for decades - company made plastic bags and re-focused after the bag charge came in.

That bag charge we were told was so little that everyone would just pay it, would have no impact, etc etc and yet rapidly overachieved its targets.

I assume they wouldnt have the ability to deal with the volume from this scheme? I assume we don't have a plant or enough plants to process this stuff ourselves?

I don't know much about what facilities we have or need tbh.

Currently no. They aren't the only one though, just the one I know of from driving past and seeing the bales of compressed bottles outside.

One major issue is the lack of decent quality feedstock - what is 'separated' from mixed recycling is a mess of plastics whereas this will be all known compounds.

i'm attempting to point out how the buisnuess side of "green echo friendly" is kinda shady and not genuinely ever in best interests or concerns of the environment and usually their participation is PR stunt at best.

You get the same lark and kind of carry on all the time in businuess where they pretend to be pro-green or pro whatever for PR reasons, but then their actions show they're just doing this to pander to people who are into that sort of thing, and to look good in their eyes. you even get it mentioned as a selling point on things like dragons den.

Business Example: less materials on/for packaging = pro green and better for environment. real reason = because its cheaper or more profit made from it. And appeals to people into that sort of thing.

this shows more that its really pro money over being pro-green.

yes exactly, they want the quick easy fast recyclables put directly into their hands. With no need for them to sort through them. All raw material essentially, ready in bales to be turned into plastic pellets or whatever aluminum equivalent of that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Right I'm prepared to predict this new RVM system will be declared a failure within a year. That it's not going to be used on a consistent basis with the numbers that are required.

That many people won't be arsed for the sake of a few cents. Those on the street or in the car who tossed before will continue to toss them. Those with collection bins will just keep using them. That kids won't be bothered to collect in any general sense.

We'll likely see the goalposts shifted then of course and ReTurn declared a success on the basis that it's contributing something even if not the full quota and that it'll take 10, 15, 20 years to change culture blah blah.

Your prediction would be a unique outcome in every place that such a system exists.

CEO was quoted in this article. Details are sketchy, likely to be some years away. I copied the relevant quote, the full article is paywalled.

"Another development coming down the tracks will see Ireland taking care of its own recycling needs. In times past, we shipped much of our plastic and aluminium to Asia, where it was supposedly recycled. We say supposedly because much of the material was not properly handled. In more recent times, our recyclable rubbish has had to stay within the EU, but in a few years we will be recycling it ourselves, Foley says.

A local plant needs about 15,000 tonnes of plastics each year to make it viable and the new scheme should more than meet that level – so a tendering process is coming for an indigenous plant. “Once that’s built it means producers will be getting their product, putting it on the market, it will be recycled, and the same producers will then buy that material again – it’s the circular economy and that’ll be a big win for Ireland.”

exactly, it will fail and in a strange way i kind of hope it does, to teach them (re-turn) a lesson. They have such a cheek with this scheme, really. never in the best interests of the people, and only self serving yet footing the people the bill as usual.

Im prepared to predict Ireland will achieve a 90+% collection rate by 2029 as per the schemes targets.

Quote me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

yeah but thats a 5 year quote in the making, he would have to bookmark this page or screenshot the comment in that case.

But reasonably, how can they expect no more than 1 in 10 cans to not be returned? if 10 families buy cans of drink, but if only even 2 decide not to bring their cans back to the RVM, then achieving 90% is an impossibility. needs 9 out of 10 participation to reach 90%

also take into account other factors too like damage

Germany is not the only other country with such a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I would be curious how our exemption shapes up versus other countries.

Structurally the scheme may be the same but if our exemption is out of line / other countries have more participating outlets especially manual (per capita) that could result in different outcomes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement