Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

News UK/Virgin also has a more immediate metric in terms of its online listenership. It will be watching those figures closely. Not sure that they will be published but they will play a part in whether Tubridy has a career in Virgin Radio or is moved to Q102 etc full-time.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're never going to publish them as such, but they might reveal them in brochures for advertisers.

Well, from experience the raw numbers can turn up anyway, but if there's no puff around them you can tell they're flat or down.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I’m guessing there’s a JNLR survey out in Feb that will cover the 2023 period but it’ll take a while longer before we get any detailed JNLR figures on Ryan’s success at Q.

Its also a radio tradition to give high profile personality driven shows up to 2 years to bed in properly.

• Advertisement

In the UK and on a Murdoch station for a nobody in the UK broadcast market?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Like I said, personality driven shows (particularly breakfast shows) tend to get two years to prove their worth.

Q102 mid-morning JNLRs won’t be totally Ryans figures for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I realise Netflix has a way of counting what programmes are watched and by how many but how is an accurate figure for basis radio listening achieved?

A mention in the info that 8000 downloads of the q102 app happened the first weekend he was on.

That's no indicator of listener figures. Only that that many people downloaded an app. They may have listened for 5 seconds or 5 minutes or may still (God forgive them) be listening.

Personally if he never returned the money I couldn't care less just as long as he doesn't return.

He's on the mid-morning slot now. The competition at the lower end of the market tends to be a lot more intense as the small stations are all struggling for a bit of the market dominated by the larger players.I'm not sure how many news bulletins there are in his Virgin Radio show. He's a nobody in the UK broadcast market but he still has a profile in the Irish market. That's why I think a sideways move to local radio on Q02 etc is more likely if he screws up on Virgin Radio. Murdoch companies tend to be far more ruthless than RTE so the two years try-out might be a bit optimistic.

Regards...jmcc

Server logs and bandwidth. More listeners equals more traffic. It may also, depending on how it is measured, provide a lot more data on the length of the time that a listener listens to the programme. The 8K downloads thing was almost completely unrelated to that as it only got the number of downloads, from what I remember, of an app (think it was the Virgin Radio app rather than a Q102 one). From a metrics point of view, a spike in new downloads of an app after Christmas is not unusual (new mobile phones or upgrades from new contracts).

The important things are how many of these new app downloads convert to listeners, the programmes to which they listen and whether they stay listening. There will be a novelty effect for the first few weeks of Tubridy on Virgin Radio but the February and March figures will be more realistic. The April, May, June figures will be even more important as the trends settle down. By the end of the third quarter, the listening trends sihould be stable.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Poor tubs is getting a hard time from the crypto AI ads , saw one today of him in hid new show talking about Anne Doyle

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Just asked Chris evans and Graham Norton on Virgin radio Twitter if Ryan would be paying the €150,000 back but no reply yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

With his history of hiding money he would make a great ambassador for crypto.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You're in a queue of about 500 incels repeating that so I presume they won't get back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Call into the show and ask...

He loves taking callers from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

would there be, like, a time delay on a call if you got through - "I want to congratulate Ryan and tell him about my JFK roots please" - ........."ya 150k fecker ya!"....

• I don’t listen, except I did out of curiosity on first day, but does he have many ordinary English Joe Soap type callers?

• He allegedly doesn’t understand that kind of thing, or any kind of thing connected with money or figures for that matter.

• I’ve seen his “writings” on the Mail, it’s exactly the way I wrote when I was 7-8 years old. I actually have a sample of my childhood writing to compare, only my childhood writing was a lot more imaginative and moved along a bit more smoothly.

• Well Boardsies have got onto Liveline and asked about Joe’s leg (the code word for declaring you’re a Boardsie) or coddle. I think there might be a small delay but you might get enough through to make your point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Just wondering what will happen with Ryan's show in Bank Holidays. Next Monday is a holiday in ROI but not UK, so will Q102 broadcast his show as normal? And what will happen when there is a BH in the UK, but not ROI and Ryan is taking a well earned rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Sounds all a bit tragic to be honest.

Prank calls might have been moderately amusing if you were a teenager in the 1980’s and there was only two radio stations.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Evans and Norton haven’t used Twitter in years so I doubt that:

a). They will be reading their tweets

b). They would have a clue about what is being asked of them

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I am always interested on what the thoughts or views are from within the industry of Ryan Tubridy/RTE and of course his new venture with Virgin.

Liam Thompson, programming director for Classic Hits, formerly a PD for Virgin and RTE has written in his Raudio newsletter his views on Ryan Tubridy and the RTE Toy Show debacle. It does delve into his thoughts on The Toy Show musical in finer detail but for the purposes of keeping the post relative to Ryan Tubridy I have limited it as per the following extract:

RTE released its list of highest paid stars on Monday, it covers 2022, and it showed that our old friend Ryan Tubridy trousered €515,000 in the 12 months, that’s a hefty 17% pay increase on 2021.

There’s a considerable gap between the born again Virgin, and his RTE compatriots, with Joe Duffy and Claire Byrne, the only two in the €300k club, while lesser lights like Ray D’Arcy, Miriam O’Callaghan and Brendan O’Connor have to make do with roughly a quarter of a million, or in football parlance, 5 grand a week.

It all seems quite tame now, compared to the glorious and mystifying adventures with the Public Accounts Committee, and RTE is committed to making sure that no one gets paid more than the boss, Kevin Bakhurst, who is also in the quarter of a million club.

Arguably, if I were Kevin, I’d just give myself a pay rise and save some negotiating time, but I have a feeling in the age of austerity that RTE face, that might cause a headline or two in The Daily Star.

I’d be extremely surprised if Ryan’s new gig on Virgin Q102 is landing him anywhere near the kind of money RTE paid him in 2022, and that London can be terrible expensive, so it’s just as well he also had a Daily Mail Diary now, to keep him in Tube fare.

So far, not so scandalous really. But that’s not surprising, given that the salary list emerged in the same week as the truly spectacular report on RTE’s most spectacular failure, “Toy Show, The Musical”

The Musical Report

The headline numbers are truly staggering, the show sold just 11,044 tickets, resulting in a loss to the organisation of €2.2 million, or 4 years of Ryan Tubridy.

Nothing about the report is positive, as Grant Thornton sliced their way through the figures, it turns out the show failed to attract the projected sponsorship, so RTE had to make up the shortfall, putting an extra €75,000 into the pot.

The show was projected to make a net profit of €1.2 million in Year 1, and the projected takings for the first three years was over €6 million.

That kind of projection is truly insanity, and it appears the RTE Board didn’t have the full picture, and the process of signing off doesn’t seem to have produced any kind of paper trail.

Look, organisations make mistakes, and I think we’ve all been in those meetings, where the Board has decided we need to diversify the business, expand into new areas, find new revenue streams.

Let’s have a Brainstorm

Usually, people get broken up into subgroups and sent away to develop a strategy that will take the businesses’ existing strengths and turn them into a whole new revenue stream. Some people will come back with great ideas, some will come back with very predictable ideas and some people will return with ideas that just don’t work.

Clearly, at some point in the last few years, there was one of those meetings in RTE.

You can hear the pitch, “times are tough, linear media is under pressure, we need to branch out, can’t just depend on licence fee and advertising, we need to add a new revenue stream”.

Someone at the back, puts their hand up and says, what about events? We could run live events and generate income from our audience in new ways.

That is the point at which senior management should have said, ok, but we have no large scale live event expertise, we’ll need a carefully worked out plan, that minimises risk and lets us trial the idea before we go all in.

That doesn’t seem to have happened though, and instead, we got Toy Show, The Musical, which clocked up a loss of 2.2 million euro in one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭yagan

I can't wait for TV License, The Musical!

Q have always run normal schedule on bank holidays albeit with many of the presenters subbed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

@alzer100

That is the point at which senior management should have said, ok, but we have no large scale live event expertise, we’ll need a carefully worked out plan, that minimises risk and lets us trial the idea before we go all in.

RTÉ have always ran live event through their "musical groups" surely that would have been the experience.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

But it wouldn't be a prank call though. It'd be a way of asking him about his promises on the 150k.

If it was a prank he'd find it funny.

• Advertisement

• Toyman The Musical might get more revenue from an audience that appreciates satire.

Advertisement