Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They might increase it.

Unwra unwittingly allowed itself to become a way for Hamas to employ its own people but more importantly to control and pick through the best of aid and supplies.

Hamas have always seen the control of aid and food as a way of buying loyalty, a revenue stream.

Whether that be through commandeering food aid at gun point or having UNRWA employees from its own ranks divert as it wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's all very convenient that this UNRWA story came out as soon as the International Court of Justice found there is merit in the South African case that Israel is combining genocide

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Irish people will naturally identify with the oppressed people. Simple as that. You need to accept that and live with it.

Espousing your love of the stereotypical ideals of the people of the Sandy Row is not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The unrwa story has been around for years and it's well documented how weapons and attacks come from unwra facilities,

You would have to be pretty ignorant to say that this is only recent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

UNRWA has 30000 employees, 13000 in Gaza. 12 are accused of involvement in 7/10, and all 12 have been dismissed, 1 I think is dead? But action has been taken to ensure that they are identified and have been separated from UNRWA.

Whilst you are beating your chest about Ireland continuing to support UNRWA? There are a few questions worth asking. Why was this news, which was known by Israel & the UN in New York not published prior to the ICJ ruling?

Currently 2 million Gazans are at risk of famine without the continued support of UNRWA. Israeli people seeking the release of the remaining hostages have undertaken a blockade of aid crossings at Keret Shalom. Proposing to starve 2 million Gazans, impose scarcity and cause wholesale suffering upon a people, the vast, vast majority of whom had nothing whatsoever to do with 7/10.

There's rarely anything moral or black & white in the middle east. That said? Complaining that Ireland continues to support UNRWA? That the effort to abate humanitarian disaster precipitated by 7/10 and Israel's response? The 70% destruction of housing, the bombing of almost every hospital, school and even places of worship, Muslim and christian is wrong? Is a curious position to take. UNRWA has issues yes, they can be addressed after everyone displaced by Israeli action in Gaza is assured of shelter and sustenance. Not in the midst of a continuing Israeli barrage.

It is a stated aim of some in Israel's Zionist/Settler parties to destroy UNRWA.

If Irish government support for an agency that is the means of support for the vast majority of 2 million Gazans? Means you don't feel welcome here? That's an issue for you, not the Irish government to resolve. I won't tell you leave, I'd like to think I'm a better neighbour than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

So still no sources then?

You're the one who started with the accusation. Now, back it up with some sources, please.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭dmcdona

No news (yet) on the criminal complaints against Isaac Herzog in Davos.

Source: Haaretz (paywall)

"The Israeli political leadership, from the prime minister all the way to the person he appointed to coordinate hostage negotiations, has conducted itself in a disgraceful manner, focused more on photo-ops and gaslighting the hostages' families than on a disciplined, effective campaign" - Daniel Levin

• The Hamas-controlled Gaza Health Ministry said at least 26,637 Palestinians have been killed since the war began.
    • Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said that about half of Hamas' militants in Gaza have been killed or wounded, but the battle against the rest will continue for months.

As reported in this thread earlier:

• Thousands of Israelis, including Netanyahu government ministers, attended a far-right conference in Jerusalem on Sunday night calling for the establishment of Jewish settlements in Gaza and the transfer, or expulsion, of Palestinians. Far-right ministers Bezalel Smotrich and Itamar Ben-Gvir were key speakers.
    • Ben-Gvir reiterated his support for encouraging the voluntary emigration of Palestinians out of Gaza as "the most moral and logical solution." Likud communications minister Shlomo Karhi said that "voluntary" emigration may need to become forcible expulsion.
    • War cabinet minister Benny Gantz said the conference "harmed Israeli society during wartime, harmed our legitimacy in the world, harmed efforts to return our hostages" and referring to PM Netanyahu said "he who is silent and is dragged along – is not a leader."
    • Gallant told U.S. officials that he will not allow the rebuilding of Israeli settlements inside the Gaza Strip, according to Axios.
    • The German Foreign Ministry said it rejected any consideration of Israeli resettlement of Gaza and the transfer of the Palestinian population.

• Four Israeli settlers were arrested on suspicion of assaulting truck drivers delivering aid to Gaza.
    • Israel's President Isaac Herzog accused the International Court of Justice of misrepresenting his words in its ruling that ordered Israel to implement measures for the protection of Palestinians and prevention of genocide in the Gaza Strip.
    • The Palestinian Health Ministry reported that five Palestinians were killed in four separate clashes with the IDF amid raids across the West Bank throughout Monday.

The UN has done a cracking job allowing Hamas to operate and use it's facilities pre Oct 7 attack on Israel and the previous decades

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

They've never identified much with oppressed Jewish people though - wouldn't let them into the country when they were fleeing Hitler, for instance.

Funny, that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭boetstark

Wow. OK can you tell me what I lied about. That's a fairly horrible accusation to make about somebody on a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Interesting the UN , which has as one of its founding principles the idea of justice, would dismiss valued employees based on the unfounded accusations of Israel. Why sack people based on no evidence?

No evidence, they've ignored the evidence for years,

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

So why sack them, why not suspend them pending outcome as UN would do with someone working for them in new York or London?

“close to the bone” might have been how you phrased it last time. It just a bit boring tbh. At least other posters have real arguments and don’t make up stuff about racism.

I just think name calling and blaming everything on racism is weak.

Not as weak as making up things which are clearly untrue and you can't backup when called out on it.

Perhaps you'll think twice before accusing someone of something the next time.

I'd suggest that if you don't like your inconsistencies being pointed out to you then be more careful when you make them.

What the UAE or Saudi Arabia give or don't give is of no consequence to Ireland or any other country. Nor should it be. If you can give us a reason why it should be, then fire ahead. You've told us it has nothing to do with ethnicity or religion, so tell us why their actions should be informing ours?

Might it be your case that Saudi and UAE are the global leaders on human rights and that we should always follow their lead?

• Advertisement

sigh. it’s there and you know it. i’m not wasting my time taking back over 970 pages. you were called out on it and defended yourself.

How many times have posters on here (perhaps even yourself) posted to the effect that the fact that other countries won't "take in" Palestinians as "proof" that Palestinians are (at best) undesirables and therefore less deserving of help.

Would you apply that same logic to the case of Jews fleeing Germany in the 30's and 40's? Or would that be another one of those selective inconsistencies that appear to be quite common among posters on these threads - the fact that Egypt won't take in 2m Gazans en-masse is somehow proof that Palestinians are inherently undesirable but the fact the Ireland wouldn't take in Jewish people 80+ years ago is somehow proof that Irish are racist today. We can't, of course, flip those to say that the reason that Egypt won't take in 2m Palestinians is that they are racist and the reason that Ireland wouldn't take in Jewish people is that they are inherently undesirable. This is why I find such logical inconsistencies to be fascinating. Because the person posting them has obviously convinced themselves that the dissonance doesn't exist.

Given that you already have to reach back over 80 years to try to score some stupid point, why not go the whole hog and point out that there were no Jews in Ireland under Brian Boru.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Said without evidence dismissed without evidence

It’s nothing to do with “brown” as you well know.

They are in the region, some have vast wealth and influence and aren’t a bit shy about criticising Israel etc. How many refugees do SA, Iran and other neighbouring countries etc take in? Why do you think Iran didn’t want the SA/Israel deal to go ahead?

Your bringing up the race thing over and over is still very boring and weak but overheal is a fan so.

You have plenty of posts on here, and you have plenty of opportunity to explain yourself. Which you haven't done - only resorted to ad hominem.

I'll ask the question of you that I asked of SeanW. If geography and distance is your defining factor for deciding on aid, then did you equally protest Ireland giving aid to Ukrainians given that Cairo is closer to Kyiv than Dublin, yet Egypt were not taking in as many nor giving the same assistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The countries that suspended or stopped funding are hypocrites too. Many supplying the weaponry to Israel to be used against children. But you're probably in support of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Because they have evidence, including cell phone records placing them at the massacres. Also, this evidence plus further information that 10% of the organisation are Hamas or PIJ operatives, with 50% having close ties to members of said groups, was deemed compelling enough for multiple countries to suspend funding. I know some people won't believe an Israeli news outlet but the other articles on the WSJ and NYT are paywalled.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-intel-shows-10-of-unrwa-workers-in-gaza-have-ties-to-terror-groups-report/

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You have 11,500 reasons to wave your Israeli flag. One for every child murdered, average age 5 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Robert Nairac

That Ireland continues to give money to UNRWA is disgusting and unsurprising. State financing of Islamic terror. Probably the most antisemitic country in the Western world; a rotten distinction to have.

Jihadist terror attack on Jewish people in North London. The left has created an environment where people feel comfortable in engaging in antisemitic acts. They emboldened antisemites.

Saw a girl at the protest in Cork wearing a Hamas headband. "Anti-zionist" I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Stick to eating taytos instead of making assumptions on what I do or don't support.

Advertisement