Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,392 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s the one I saw yes. If it’s a video from today and no mainstream media are reporting it, we as a country are going down a very shady and malevolent path.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yeah, I don't think "man has toy" should be dominating the news cycle......

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

As reported with no evidence by found to be providing false news gript yeah.

He was arrested here and Deported from here .....

So much for boardies detective work far right conspiracy 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement

No all the main stream media outlets...

After he got arrested.....

Face it several posters crying far right conspiracy were well and truly left with egg all over their faces

Arrested for a triple murder in Zimbabwe but deported to Mozambique wasn't it, that was one of the funniest inconsistencies in the whole made up story.

I'm sorry your made up story crumples under the slightest bit of scrutiny, but that's what happens when stories are made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭minimary

If you think its a made up story then why not complain to the press ombudsman and get it exposed as such? Plenty of the outlets that reported it are subject to the scrutiny of the press ombudsman

Because all the Irish outlets credit Zimbabwean news sources, none of them claim to be a primary source. If they did they would be obligated to provide evidence. As a secondary source linking their primary they'll just pass the blame.

The only stuff made up was by you and several others ,,,,,

And yet you can't produce a shred of primary proof he was ever arrested tried or deported.....

Why would the press in Zimbabwe make this up? Whats their angle?

If there was no one of that alias who was deported from Ireland wouldn't the Dept of Justice have said that rather than stating they don't comment on individual cases?

iharare is a blog, Zimbabwean gript, only less trustworthy.

Which alias? Apparently the Zimbabwean police contacted the Gardai to say he was under an eswatini passport, but couldn't confirm his identity, meanwhile he convinced the judge he was from Mozambique and was hit with an enforced deportation order?

If the judge believed he was from Mozambique what was the deportation order for?

If he didn't believe he was from Mozambique why was he deported there?

If a triple murderer accused of sneaking into the country was on trial why were there no reporters at the public courthouse? Why has no publication printed the court records?

There's something wrong with the story.....

Their national broadcaster reported it not just some blogs, it was in every newspaper over there too. If hes never extradited from Mozambique there will be major questions by people about this story in Zimbabwe. Do you think the national broadcaster is lying and that no one in Mozambique has contradicted the story? Again what is the angle that you think the Zimbabwean media is playing? What angle are the Zimbabwean police playing? The assistant commissioner is quoted in the story by their national broadcaster

Proceedings involving the deportation of asylum seekers do not allow for their names to be published in the media, unless there are exceptional circumstances. In this case it doesn't seem like they knew he was a triple murderer when he was deported or he wouldn't have been sent to the wrong country.

They also reported on the interpol red notice and that turned out to be garbage.

I believe that the original report he was in Ireland was false information. I believe that he is probably under arrest in Mozambique awaiting extradition to Zimbabwe.

Proceedings involving the deportation of asylum seekers do not allow for their names to be published in the media, unless there are exceptional circumstances. In this case it doesn't seem like they knew he was a triple murderer when he was deported or he wouldn't have been sent to the wrong country

How does someone "get sent to the wrong country"?

He was arrested under the Mozambique passport and then an enforced deportation was carried out with no attempt to confirm his identity with the country he claimed to be from? If it wasn't enforced he voluntarily went to the country he claimed to be from, knowing 2 police forces were in contact about him?

There's some part of this story missing somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,392 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Maybe the whole truth of whatever occurred, should be included though… that way citizens can be informed.

what happened, who was arrested and on suspicion of xyx…mainstream news outlets ignoring an incident in the city where verifiably dozens of Gardai and the ERU were deployed to an individual by the looks of things who has to be arrested using some degree of force :).

im presuming people became aware of the toy or imitation firearm because it was made visible to them…

From the irish statute book …..9A. — (1)  Where a person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the onus of proving which shall lie on him or her), has a realistic imitation firearm with him or her in any public place, that person shall be guilty of an offence.

So you think the Irish bit is rubbish but that no one in the Gardai, Courts, Department of Justice or anywhere else has said its nonsense? The State who is trying to promote a positive image of asylum seekers would let an incorrect story like that stand?

Its a fairly fanciful part of the tale, I still don't understand why you would think that anyone would invent that as part of the story.

• Advertisement

They did though, they came out early on and said there was no proof that he was here, either in the red cow or the country.

So, being aware that he was alleged to be here, in a massive coincidence they arrested him under his other alias and carried out one of the few enforced deportation orders (less than 100 a year) and sent him to the wrong country? Does that not seem even a little off to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That's not true at all , the only reason I don't talk about it is because there is no shortage of people willing to talk about, oddly enough they all sat the same stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What aspect of it are they discussing? Ballinrobe and Roscrea seemed way too localised an issue to be engendering national debate. Is it just the emergency accommodation situation in general?

If they previously denied any knowledge of him, why not still say its nonsense? Also the Gardai did confirm it to the Irish Sunday Mirror, thats not just parroting Zimbabwean reporting, thats the Gardai confirming it

"A garda spokeswoman told the Irish Sunday Mirror: “A male in his 30s was deported from this jurisdiction on 22nd September 2023.”

The Department of Justice said: “The Department does not comment on individual cases.”

If you think the Sunday Mirror is making this up and the Gardai didn't confirm it, I suggest you go to the Press Ombudsman with your suspicions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Well of course, all those hotel contracts don’t come cheap

https://archive.ph/3ukkY

It appears form the article that the €800 ARP scheme paid to homeowners to rent a room to Ukrainian refugees (way above the going rate in most parts of the country) isn’t even included in these figures

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Verbatim, - military aged men , unvetted males etc

Seriously dude

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

McEntee and her colleagues are exactly WHY we're in the position we're in. It's only because the party bosses are concerned about the impact of all this on their chances in the upcoming elections that the tune is very belatedly changing. I said that here days ago.

I have very little in common with FG in general. Originally voted in back in 2011 with a mandate to reform politics in the aftermath of the crash (anyone remember Enda and his promised "report cards"), instead we got more of the same, with the added twist of them selling off half the country through NAMA (thank you Noonan) and a leader who went into hiding anytime the political heat became too much - only to then reappear a few days/week later declaring "nothing to see here"... or that infamous tale of the man with 2 pints...

Oh and let's not forget the arrogance in general - like Hogan and his "down to a trickle" threats to those who would refuse to pay for their latest scheme, the thing that actually got large parts of the country out on the streets.. Irish Water (recently renamed to its Irish version I note. Probably an attempt to distance it from that scandal - like rebranding the Traffic Corps to Roads Policing in the aftermath of the penalty points cancelling scandal. Pepperidge Farm remembers though!)

Then there's the current incarnation of FG.. Led by a man who came to the top job by exploiting his sexuality on national radio during the SSM referendum to boost his opinion polls (conveniently ignoring his position on the subject in the Dail only a few years earlier) and who has no apparent political principles or ideology but instead treats the office as an ego trip as we've seen every time he embarrasses himself in the media.

As for McEntee herself. A woman who only was elected on a sympathy vote and who like the rest of "New FG" seems to make policy decisions based on what's trending on Twitter while the country falls apart around them - headlines about how wealthy we supposedly are (noting that according to coverage over the weekend we're officially in a recession now again) badly covering the reality of multiple domestic crises - most of their own making! - and who has presided over turmoil and mass retirements in the Gardai membership and an increasingly dangerous country in general due to her incompetence. (Edited to add: Oh and there's her crusade to criminalise contrary views through her imminent "Hate Speech"/hurt feelings legislation which has been roundly objected to, domestically and internationally!)

I won't even get into FF whose leader's only goal was to not be the only one who wasn't Taoiseach and who abdicated the running of the country to NPHET and Tony Holohan, or the Greens who again have supported all this and introduced various new taxes and charges under the guise of "de environment" and led by a man so divorced from reality it's astounding!

So no, I think you'll find I've actually very little in common with the current Government - not that I think SF are the answer either (they still think that people here consider the North and unification as a priority issue and their immigration stance is no different to the rest - arguably even worse). Like many people out there there is no mainstream party that represents me.

But to bring this back to the topic at hand, giving the Government credit for making noises about addressing the elephant in the room that everyone else was screaming about for the last 2 years - a situation which they themselves are directly responsible for causing! - is an interesting suggestion, especially when you remember their track record in general as outlined in brief (because there's a lot more that's gone wrong under their watch remember) above.

Too little, too late and the consequences of their decisions will be with us for decades.. Thanks for that guys and girls! I'm sure my son will love the Ireland you've created for him in the next decade or so!

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

As John Quirk put it on the tonight show last night what made the Irish government suddenly see Algeria as a safe country overnight?

What changed Sunday in Algeria that it went from unsafe to safe?

They are scrambling like rats from a sinking ship. Haven’t a breeze what they’re doing. Making it up as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But shouldn't Gript be welcoming changes to asylum policy? It's a bit odd to be demanding the Govt tighten up the asylum rules and then ask 'why did you do it?' when it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Id say Quirk was pointing out the hypocrisy of Government Policy to date... Oh look they can change it now... why didn't they do that last year... oh is there a general election in the next 18 months? Also it must be pointed out how poor McEntee is on her brief.

Advertisement