Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

A double payment this week for those on welfare actually also means a further 1.8% increase for those on Jobseekers Allowance. So that 5.45% increase is, in fact, a 7.25% increase for 2024 for those on Jobseekers Allowance. This is over twice the pay increase that public servants are receiving from FF/FG.

This is just outrageous.

Is it a coincidence that all of this FF/FG spending on those on welfare has recently seen SF fall to their worst poll rating in four years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Not only that, the "the lowest paid are benefitting by up to 17%" is also bullshit.

I spent a few hours of my day (off) today working it out, and the only way anyone is coming close to that, is the very lowest paid, (think CO on Pt 1) and only if they receive a couple of increments over the course of the deal - which the increases are then applied to. Including the value of increments in the final percentage in this way is deceitful as they would have gotten those increases anyway - they're not part of the pay deal.

They've spun everything to make themselves look good, when all that really happened is they made a big show of turning down 8.5% - saying it was too big a gap - talks were suspended - they went back and in reality got a miserly 0.75% extra, and suddenly they're selling it hard, and a great success.

They must think we're all stupid.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

+100 And most members will probably lap it up and fall for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭bren2001

A cleaner on 24.1k a year receives a minimum of €3125 and another 4% which is €964. That is €4098/25100 = 17%.

The 4% is assuming 10.25% and not 9.25%. Technically the statement "up to 17%" is correct. If they get the 1% local bargaining clause applied as a direct salary adjustment, it brings it up to 17%.

Unless I have missed something?

Cleaner salary taken from Forsa, 465 a week (now i assume nobody can be on that rate as its for pre-95 but a new hire would start on 483 and the maths is close enough):

https://www.forsa.ie/pay-scales/civil-service-salary-scales/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭combat14

we are all getting "up to 17%" over 3 years .. that doesnt mean its bullshit :)

• Advertisement

Ezeoul was arguing that nobody was getting 17% (or at least that's how I interpreted it).

The lowest paid worker is getting 17%. anyone above that will get a lower percentage.

How is the statement BS if the lowest paid work does get 17%?

Anyone know how many full time staff there are employed as cleaners in the Civil Service right now? 🙄

The last time I remember my Dept having an on-staff cleaner was approx 1988, (one lady in her sixties) and then she retired, and was replaced by contract cleaners.

Any building I've worked in since then, have all been cleaned by contract cleaning companies.

If there are any directly employed cleaners left, they are in a pretty tiny number, and hardly what the Union should be using as their example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,464 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It gave the same rise to people on Disability allowance, a 5% rise for those on the State Pension.

People on job seekers earn 12k per year, State Pension 14k

Do you not agree on principle that those on lower incomes should get more help? Was that principle not agreed on a million times in this thread?

It's the lowest paid worker in the PS. It's amazing to me that you don't acknowdge it. That's where the 17% comes from.

If you cant acknowdge that, i really don't know. It's not a matter of opinion, it's just maths. Fundamentally, it doesn't change anything. You'll still vote no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

They're not wrong though. There's little to no cleaners remaining that are employed directly as public servants and those that do exist would be long on the top of their scales so they aren't earning 24k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

That’s some way off the 25% you were espousing. Have you given up on that claim?

They made a point. I showed them where the maths works. I also acknowledged in the post there’s likely no cleaner on that specific wage. It’s an incredibly sarcastic response from them.

They originally said that they did the calcs and nobody came close to 17% without increments. Is that correct? I’ve taken one example from Forsa, are there others in the PS on 24k? That’s the figure for 17% to work.

They can shift their position all they want. Am I wrong?

It doesn’t make a material impact for them. They still think it’s a shite deal and will vote no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I never mentioned people on Disability Allowance or the State Pension - you have. I agree that those who cannot work or are too old to work should be given as much financial help as the state can afford.

What I was referring to, and I think you know this but deliberately tried to muddy the waters, is that in a time of full employment where there are plenty of available jobs FF/FG chose to give those who don't want to work a greater "pay rise" in 2024 than the pay increase they gave vital state workers. This is inexcusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Deub

And you do the same as the OP I replied. You don’t like media saying the increase is 10.25% because it will be 9.25% for many (and I agree with your point) but you do exactly the same in your post by mentioning 40€ extra per week but it will only be for some people.

If you don’t want people focusing on the higher increase in PS, don’t do the same with other groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭combat14

9.25 over 2.5 years or 3.7% before paye, prsi, usc, pension levy and inflation

take out the deductions and 2% inflation (if we are lukcy) and many people will be down -0.6% each year in net terms in best case scenario

Post edited by combat14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Rootsblower

In my experience a lot of people on JSA earn way more than 12k but I suppose that’s an argument for another thread

No, it's not correct.

Actually, I never said "nobody" - again that was your personal interpretation of what I said. and as usual, it is flawed.

I originally let it slide, but I'm tired of you trolling my posts.

Do us all a favour and either block me, or next time read the post properly and pay attention to the actual words used.

I spent a few hours of my day (off) today working it out, and the only way anyone is coming close to that, is the very lowest paid, (think CO on Pt 1) and only if they receive a couple of increments over the course of the deal

That's equivalent to nobody. You said for someone to come close, they require increments i.e. nobody comes close without increments. Where's my "flawed" understanding?

I really don't understand your hostility. It doesn't fundamentally change your argument. I was just pointing out where the 17% comes from. It's such a tiny immaterial point.

It's not "nobody" as you have claimed I said, twice.

Again, your interpretation is wrong.

Please block my posts. I'm done wasting time with yours.

You never typed the word nobody. The meaning is identical.

It baffles me you'd double down. Saying you have to receive increments to reach the 17% is incorrect. I've shown you an example of where you don't and an example of what the Union are referring too. Yet, you double down on the word "nobody".

If you want to argue there are no cleaners on that wage, sure. Entirely different position but you're trying to change the meaning of your original statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

I actually take that back, after hearing Paschal Donohoe on Newstalk, it seems like teachers will have access to the 1% local bargaining amount. So my example would actually be greater than 17% even closer to the 25%. I said close to 25%, I was on mobile and did not have the salary scale in front of me so I made that estimate.

Strange how my worked example using published facts showing exactly what it means in terms of pay increases gets more scrutiny than propagandist 9.5% pay increase which totally ignores increments.

As for those who reached the top of their scale, so what? Get a promotion or another job. You think salary ceilings don't exist in the private sector either?

No, you are trying to change the meaning of my original statement.

You also totally missed the point.

The audacity of you, to think you know what I was saying better than I do.

For the sake of the thread, I'm putting you on ignore, and request that you return the favour.

(I know its a rule that you are not supposed to announce on thread when you are putting someone on ignore, but hopefully the mods will forgive me in this instance.)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

In the CS maybe, but in the wider PS there are definitely salaried cleaners. Primary and Secondary schools have cleaners, obviously low numbers there, but I know universities have large cleaning staff supplemented with contractors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

It appears that trainees or students would possibly be getting closer to 17%. Brand new COs would be getting between 14.5 and 15.5% (depending on the sectoral bargaining 1%). Those getting 17% would definitely appear to be the exception.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Have people heard from their unions yet?

Thank you Sarn.

Yet the Union are using the exceptions to base selling this deal to the members on.

THAT is the point.

I've changed zero meaning of your original statement. What you wrote is black and white and now you're trying to manoeuvre out of it. Doubling down. You won't even own your own words. Its incredible. There's zero interpretation to: "the only way anyone is coming close to that, is the very lowest paid, (think CO on Pt 1) and only if they receive a couple of increments over the course of the deal" - that is not the "only" way. Being a cleaner is a way. Zero increments to achieve the 17%. You've changed your point. There is zero reference to "exceptions" in your original post.

There's zero "exceptions". The lowest paid worker is getting a 17% increase. The deal is up to 17% for the lowest paid worker. Anyone on anything more then the lowest paid is not going to receive 17%, that is how percentages work. A CO will not get 17%, the Unions never made that claim because they're not the lowest paid.

It appears you don't understand percentages.

The Unions have missold nothing. Their statement is entirely factual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭granturismo

The agreement was circulated to members of our union last week. The meeting between full time officials and workplace reps is on this week. Previously, the wording of the ballot is agreed at this meeting or workplace reps went back to members and a second meeting was held to agree ballot wording.

I dont expect any further communication from our union until mid Feb.

What's incredible is how hard you're trying to push your own erroneous interpretation of my post down my throat, and how far you're now willing to go to shill for the Union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Do we have any idea what the non pay terms details that they spent so long discussing were? I've always been a believer that pay is pay and it's easier to get that amended.

Terms are different though. Not always easier to gain extra annual leave for example.

Advertisement