Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

AIL is awesome. I usually watch a game or two a week depending on what i can find streaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's not uploaded yet. Sounds like a fine match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

If they can get Dillane, that makes more sense they would be ok with POM going in the worst case. He can cover lock and 6, and is presumably cheaper.

I’d assume they would be trying for an NIQ at hooker. If the irfu will say yes anywhere its there. You guys might not end up losing anyone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s daytime weekday so probably won’t suit many but Premier Sports are starting their coverage of the LSSC at 2:45pm today with St Michaels v St Vincent’s Castleknock College.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

• Advertisement

Dillane gets back into international contention too! A win!

Gus McCarthy playing AIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

Anyone know if Fergus Burke from Crusaders is Irish qualified? All I could find is him being linked with Scotland, but could be a good pick up for Leinster or any of the provinces really.

Feels like one outhalf move may have a knock on effect elsewhere. For example the rumour of Burns to Munster frees up a starting position for Frawley or Harry Byrne to head up north…which I think makes more sense than either going to Munster as second choice behind Crowley.

If the rumors of Burns to Munster is true I would expect 1 of our 10's is leaving. I'm guessing Harry.

I’m pretty sure he isn’t (Irish qualified).

• Advertisement

Thornley reporting that Ulster are not renewing Burns. They must have someone lined up. I expect 1 of ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

Two ginger lads at half back for Ulster will be a magnificent sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

So Munster are getting Billy Burns from Ulster, Diarmuid Kilgallen from Connacht and are expected to sign Ultan Dillane from La Rochelle, not to mention they got Oli Jager in November and they are expected as well to sign a NIQ hooker. But they don't have the room to pay the Irish captain and club legend Peter O'Mahony? Give me a break.

And now to create parity, Leinster are going to send one of Harry Byrne or Ciaran Frawley to Ulster in order to replace Billy Burns. I wouldn't be surprised if Leinster have to send a winger over to Connacht to replace Kilgallen.

Leinster get weeks of bad press and public disgust for the Snyman deal for a year, when Munster had already agreed not to re-sign his contract, but when Munster are taking the starting 10 from Ulster to play back up, a quality up and coming winger in Kilgallen as well as a Champions cup winning hybrid forward, a international quality tighthead and a quality starter at hooker and very little is said in terms of public outrage.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

munster are losing Carbery, Snyman and Conway from this season. They also expect Kilcoyne and Zebo to retire, possibly Archer as well.

thats a fair chunk of both change to be able to go back to the market with. i dont see why you would expect any "public outrage" beyond having a squidgy blue eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Leinster allegedly looked for Tom O'Toole to move to the East, but the player declined.

"While Burns could yet be calling Thomomd Park home next year, it is not expected however that Tom O’Toole will be making a similar inter-provincial switch.

The Belfast Telegraph understands that Leinster had looked at the Irish international tighthead but IRFU rules dictate that a province cannot outbid their neighbours for their own player."

It's a move that's probably a little too early for him. He'd be a good 2nd choice TH replacement in the immediate future and a good long term replacement for Furlong. However you'd be doing well to convince him that the best thing for his career would be chilling on the bench for a couple of years.

I understand your rationale but to weaken two provinces in order to strengthen one is what Leinster has been slaughtered before in the past. They could have went and got Freddie Burns to replace Carbery. They have Edogbo, O'Connell and Ahearn all up and coming Irish locks that can step into the lock depth chart. I actually don't have much of a problem with Munster getting Dillane as he is Irish and is a quality player.

I just want to see what the IRFU will do now to help Ulster and Connacht.

Right choice for Ireland and Ulster. Would have been fairly unfair for Leinster to have the 1st and 3rd choice tighthead. It seems that they are looking for an Irish tighthead which is interesting.

Who is doing the "weakening" though?

Provinces can't out bid each other. So Leinster can offer the same salary as the others, but reduced game time, behind Ireland test players. While that's a testament to how good Leinster are at developing top talent, it also comes with a price.

If the players decide to move, it's not the IRFU or the other provinces that are "weakening" Leinster, it's Leinster being unable to give those players what they want.

As a flip side, personally I think Leinster should be able to sign high quality NIQs, higher than we have been between nacewa and snyman, fardy excluded, and on a more frequent basis that the other three provinces seeing as we are vastly the greater net provider to the other three.

From what I have read about Billy Burns, they weren't willing to offer him a new contract so in that regard, it is fair that Munster are potentially looking to land him as a quality back up. In terms of Diarmuid Kilgallen, he is hardly going to turn down Munster over Connacht right now if he has a clear opportunity of getting quality minutes next season and gives him more of a chance for the Ireland squad. It's just unfortunate that it is coming at the expense of Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ulster have not offered Burns a contract by all accounts.

The IRFU don't owe either Connacht or Ulster anything if these moves happen.

i would have liked to have seen kilgallon come to leinster actually. Lowe is 31 and playing less and less minutes with Leinster these days. Just over 500 last season, and only 160 this season so far. ireland will be wanting to get every last drop of performance out of him so he will be very well minded.

With Leinster seemingly currently looking to lure Tom O'Toole to Leinster, it seems that Leinster seem to be looking to hold onto their NIQ designations which is very interesting. So far, RG Snyman is the only player with a NIQ designation for Leinster next season. It wouldn't surprise me if they are looking to hold onto the designation to replace the likes of Lowe in the near future.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ulster clearly have a solid line on a replacement for Burns , they wouldn't just let him go without a plan in place.

Will it be Frawley/HB or have they designs on another South African - Willemse perhaps?

Aye! Indeed. The anti Leinster bias is in full swing.

They chose to allow RG to leave. Killer is 2nd choice at best. Carberry wants to leave and is not really a good out half. The retirements are tough, tbf and yet they may be getting Burns, Dillane and Kilgallen. They just signed Jager!

Munster remember allowed Ryan and Cronin to leave! They're rumored to be signing Milne. That's a loss for Leinster, if true. Billy Burns is a better 10 than Carberry, imo. Fair play to Munster if they succeed getting these players. It makes them stronger.

What will they do? Obviously someone from Leinster will leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I wish I had your confidence that Ulster have a plan. If they have a plan it seems to be to drive the supporters away.

Clearly Billy Burns isn't part of Ulster's long term plans, so his potential move to Munster makes sense. I think it would be beneficial for someone like Harry Byrne to go up North to Ulster. Doak and Byrne have similar age profiles and both are considered to have realistic opportunities to be part of the next world cup cycle.

I just don't see how Connacht benefit from this and how they are meant to remain competitive as a province when they are getting one of their better up and coming players taken off them. They have Mack Hansen and Santiago Cordero both healthy next season which is a great wing duo. If it was Leinster who had a glut of talent and they were poached, that is fine because they have the necessary strength in depth to replace the outgoing player. I just feel bad for a Connacht team who need every talented player they can get.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to hate on Ulster, but my God if ever they could use a complete reset in terms of director of rugby, head coach and current philosophy within the province, this off-season would be the time to do it.

They have some wonderful talent up North but it never seems to push on and it is an incredible shame to see so many quality prospects not pushing on to the next level.

Advertisement