Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That's not true at all , the only reason I don't talk about it is because there is no shortage of people willing to talk about, oddly enough they all sat the same stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What aspect of it are they discussing? Ballinrobe and Roscrea seemed way too localised an issue to be engendering national debate. Is it just the emergency accommodation situation in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

If they previously denied any knowledge of him, why not still say its nonsense? Also the Gardai did confirm it to the Irish Sunday Mirror, thats not just parroting Zimbabwean reporting, thats the Gardai confirming it

"A garda spokeswoman told the Irish Sunday Mirror: “A male in his 30s was deported from this jurisdiction on 22nd September 2023.”

The Department of Justice said: “The Department does not comment on individual cases.”

If you think the Sunday Mirror is making this up and the Gardai didn't confirm it, I suggest you go to the Press Ombudsman with your suspicions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Well of course, all those hotel contracts don’t come cheap

https://archive.ph/3ukkY

It appears form the article that the €800 ARP scheme paid to homeowners to rent a room to Ukrainian refugees (way above the going rate in most parts of the country) isn’t even included in these figures

Verbatim, - military aged men , unvetted males etc

Seriously dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

McEntee and her colleagues are exactly WHY we're in the position we're in. It's only because the party bosses are concerned about the impact of all this on their chances in the upcoming elections that the tune is very belatedly changing. I said that here days ago.

I have very little in common with FG in general. Originally voted in back in 2011 with a mandate to reform politics in the aftermath of the crash (anyone remember Enda and his promised "report cards"), instead we got more of the same, with the added twist of them selling off half the country through NAMA (thank you Noonan) and a leader who went into hiding anytime the political heat became too much - only to then reappear a few days/week later declaring "nothing to see here"... or that infamous tale of the man with 2 pints...

Oh and let's not forget the arrogance in general - like Hogan and his "down to a trickle" threats to those who would refuse to pay for their latest scheme, the thing that actually got large parts of the country out on the streets.. Irish Water (recently renamed to its Irish version I note. Probably an attempt to distance it from that scandal - like rebranding the Traffic Corps to Roads Policing in the aftermath of the penalty points cancelling scandal. Pepperidge Farm remembers though!)

Then there's the current incarnation of FG.. Led by a man who came to the top job by exploiting his sexuality on national radio during the SSM referendum to boost his opinion polls (conveniently ignoring his position on the subject in the Dail only a few years earlier) and who has no apparent political principles or ideology but instead treats the office as an ego trip as we've seen every time he embarrasses himself in the media.

As for McEntee herself. A woman who only was elected on a sympathy vote and who like the rest of "New FG" seems to make policy decisions based on what's trending on Twitter while the country falls apart around them - headlines about how wealthy we supposedly are (noting that according to coverage over the weekend we're officially in a recession now again) badly covering the reality of multiple domestic crises - most of their own making! - and who has presided over turmoil and mass retirements in the Gardai membership and an increasingly dangerous country in general due to her incompetence. (Edited to add: Oh and there's her crusade to criminalise contrary views through her imminent "Hate Speech"/hurt feelings legislation which has been roundly objected to, domestically and internationally!)

I won't even get into FF whose leader's only goal was to not be the only one who wasn't Taoiseach and who abdicated the running of the country to NPHET and Tony Holohan, or the Greens who again have supported all this and introduced various new taxes and charges under the guise of "de environment" and led by a man so divorced from reality it's astounding!

So no, I think you'll find I've actually very little in common with the current Government - not that I think SF are the answer either (they still think that people here consider the North and unification as a priority issue and their immigration stance is no different to the rest - arguably even worse). Like many people out there there is no mainstream party that represents me.

But to bring this back to the topic at hand, giving the Government credit for making noises about addressing the elephant in the room that everyone else was screaming about for the last 2 years - a situation which they themselves are directly responsible for causing! - is an interesting suggestion, especially when you remember their track record in general as outlined in brief (because there's a lot more that's gone wrong under their watch remember) above.

Too little, too late and the consequences of their decisions will be with us for decades.. Thanks for that guys and girls! I'm sure my son will love the Ireland you've created for him in the next decade or so!

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

As John Quirk put it on the tonight show last night what made the Irish government suddenly see Algeria as a safe country overnight?

What changed Sunday in Algeria that it went from unsafe to safe?

They are scrambling like rats from a sinking ship. Haven’t a breeze what they’re doing. Making it up as they go along.

But shouldn't Gript be welcoming changes to asylum policy? It's a bit odd to be demanding the Govt tighten up the asylum rules and then ask 'why did you do it?' when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Id say Quirk was pointing out the hypocrisy of Government Policy to date... Oh look they can change it now... why didn't they do that last year... oh is there a general election in the next 18 months? Also it must be pointed out how poor McEntee is on her brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

No big fan of McGuirk but to see him hold his cool and demolish Regina Doherty who claimed asylum from Meath to Dublin when the Meath “racists” rejected her at the ballot box was a joy to behold.

and government mouthpiece O’Connor trying her usual auld stick .the media and government are so far removed from the public it’s scary.oh for the halcyon days of ff under haughey.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Those figures are pretty insane, I get the war in Ukraine and everything but the government are absolutely asleep at the wheel, we only get the reports from the CSO and the like every now and then but the government have live access to massive amounts of data and did nothing to try and put some sort of controls on it until its absolutely out of control.

I mean did no-one ever plot a graph of "available housing stock" versus "number of immigrants needing to be housed" for the last 3 years 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I missed it but why was Regina Doherty on the show? She is usually pushed out to fly a kite or change the narrative? What was her message? As usual, none of the senior ministers are available.

The government are reacting as usual. They never ever have a plan, it's always reactionary....until the issue goes off the newspaper headlines and they'll they revert to doing nothing again.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Another great post.

McEntee interviews are beyond comical these days. She was asked yesterday whether extra Gardai would be sent to areas that have increased populations due to large numbers of immigrants arriving. She jumped thru hoops to not answer the question but eventually said Yes and then No. She was all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Neale Richmond too posh to keep being enforced on the plebs perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Richmond who says locals cant have say who lives in their communities yet objected to traveller accommodation in his neighbourhood, hill was bit slopy neale thought.

I suppose they could argue that circumstances have changed - far greater pressure on emergency accommodation for refugees and asylum seekers now than there was 12 months ago.

The really shocking thing is this woman could end up Taoiseach yet (when much will be made about our first female PM) but as Minister for Justice she's not just incompetent and out of her depth, she's threatening the security of the State through the problems within AGS (FG - the party of law and order eh?), and her complete failure in terms of border security, to say nothing about handing out Irish citizenship like cereal box prizes to any randomer who manages to hang around long enough.

When Varadkar decides to move onto the next thing on his bucket list (he did previously say that he didn't see a lifetime career in politics) watch as she is positioned as a top contender for all the reasons that have nothing to do with her actual ability to do the job.

Her failure on the immigration issue alone should see her disqualified - objectively she should have been fired/demoted long ago (along with many others in the Government), but we don't "do" accountability like that.

I think her performances over the past year must have ruled her out of the top job. Imagine her in a debate! I guess you never know but her interviews are becoming more and more embarrassing. It's abundantly clear she is not on top of her brief. I'll give her credit for actually doing interviews, most of the cabinet are in hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

She is like Ron Burgundy, she will just say what she has been told to say no matter what she is asked. She was put into Justice because she could be manipulated and wouldn't rock the boat, like when Harris was put in charge of Health for the same reason, he will do as he is told and wont rock the both. The Justice minister needs to be a Senior no nonsense politician, in the current government the only one that I see like that is (god forgive me for saying this) Heather Humphries. All the others just seem to lightweight for that minister and I would include Varadkar and Martin in that lightweight group.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And yet he was here ,

Arrested here ,

Deported from here ....

The only thing that was off was several posters attempts to play detectives ended up as a bunch of Clouseaus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Of course it happened,

Unlike the false claims made by others

For 5 years or more before the refugee crisis we had a housing crisis in which nothing was done , I can't recall the figures but the government have spent more on refugee housing then any other housing initiative EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Would have to assume this is kite flying from govt, though would be good to see some more robust enforcement of deportation orders

Note in the article title more of the continued conflation of International protection applicants with immigrants

All of this is perfectly permissible within current asylum rules, so it could well come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I think some comments have been made about being the government being asleep at the wheel. I would go further than that.

They resist having any policy on anything for fear of alienating voters. Any attempt by the public to demand a policy is met with hostility (being called the "far-right" etc.) Having no policy means the country lurches from crisis to crisis. When crisis inevitably occurs then the government overreact.

We have seen this with the financial crisis, Covid, our reaction to the Ukraine invasion. In these crises, when we do react, we also want to be doing measurably the most compared to our peers. In the financial crisis we guaranteed more comprehensively than other countries to the extent that people who gambled in the financial markets were compensated. In Covid we had on average the most stringent measures though some countries peaked above Ireland for short periods.

What policies we do have, I believe, are handed to us informally by Europe. So after the refugee crisis of a few years ago, we had no obligations to take refugees from mainland Europe as we had opted out of the burden sharing system. We negotiated this opt out prior to the second Lisbon referendum when we were told to vote again. However, under pressure from Germany and other countries, and without any public discussion, we opted back in.

I think the main reason there seems to be a turn around at the moment is that Ireland's policy failure is becoming international news and the one thing the Government does not like is being embarrassed internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Good point regarding our pathetic best child in class syndrome - similar to how our welfare offering was multiples of the EU average for the Ukrainians

Only 5.5 billion quid for them allocated this year, but it’s grand, not as if you could get Metro North or thousands of houses built for that or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Immigrant lawyer on Matt Cooper criticizing the whole idea of a restricted list, saying it’s valid for the likes of Georgians and Algerians to claim asylum here.

Also glad Nigeria and Pakistan weren’t put on the list given that Boku Haram and the Taliban operate respectively in parts of their country.

So naturally instead of moving to a safe part of their own country they head for a small country on the edge of Europe. Obviously this lawyer has skin in the game as representing asylum seekers is a profitable business so the more the merrier

As an aside, a family member is applying for a public sector job which involves Garda vetting.

As part of this, they have to provide every address (including post code/eircode) they've ever lived - as in since birth!

I thought they were joking until they sent me a screenshot.. They're serious!

My genuine first thought was - if only they were so thorough with randomers arriving from who knows where!

• Advertisement

I've posted about this before but Ireland’s inferiority complex and insecurity is deep rooted and pervasive.

It's why we had everyone buying decking, foreign apartments and BMWs in the Tiger years, why the Government launched their infamous "welfare cheats" campaign to play into it during the recession, and why we are a vassal state - first to the Catholic church, now to Europe.

Everytime we've had an opportunity of self governance we've either messed it up or handed it off as soon as possible. It's why the interests of the dominant EU countries are put ahead of our own by politicians elected to represent their constituents in Ireland, and why they are quick to say "the EU made us do it" at every opportunity.

This is why we've been fed the lines about our supposed obligations and responsibilities to any randomer who shows up at our door, and why things that we were told previously couldn't be done, or done quickly, happened virtually overnight in this case!

We've become probably the most charitable and generous country in certainly the Euro zone if not beyond over the last 2 years - but that charity and goodwill doesn't seem to extend to meaningfully solving our own problems and needs it seems.

Advertisement