Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Again. Nothing. You made claims. You were asked for proof of your claims. Nothing. You have no proof the Gardai lied when they said it was arson. Nothing.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LongfordMB

Don't worry about it just try not to embarrass yourself again.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Do you remember when it was left wing to question establishment and authority figures? Now it's "the establishment are telling the truth and anyone who says they aren't is a conspiracy theorist"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You have made claims about 20 arsons and I have yet to see you provide proof when asked for it.

I assume I must have overlooked your proof seems you are demanding proof from others.

Unless you feel you don't need to provide proof for claims while demanding proof from others.

But I am sure that couldn't be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

As per title of thread: Immigration to Ireland - ..... challenges ... The list below applies to rural towns and areas traditionally reliant on a domestic and international tourism business.

• taking our young peoples job, a combination of lay offs due to closures and substitution also by dint of paying reduced wages to immigrants and refugees.
    • our young people needing to emigrate or move to cities (with impossible rents) or languish on the dole.
    • significantly reducing bed capacity thus affecting all related tourism business reliant on this.
    • putting pressure on the provision of nursing homes. Our elderly frozen out or forced to go nursing homes at greater distances.
    • putting pressure on local educational and health facilities
    • damaging traditional Irish culture, closure of trad music sessions due to closure of venues and lack of visitors.

Those in favour of this brave new world, please discuss. Offer us your wisdom and tell us just why we should accept this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

This is a list of things you think.

That doesn't make them true.

No, I don't believe anyone should be housed in hotels that are running and open. Other then one report I saw about Killarney, I think it was, I have not seen it heard any reports on anything that you just listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And you live in some very sheltered office, reliant on what you can see out the window and your precious reports. What do you think my list is - it's a fecking report.

It's just a report that you don't want to accept.

Get out on the road and start visiting rural towns and areas where the government has been settling new arrivals. Talk to the people and write your own reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Too late in this governments term now. I'm no fan of his and believe that he should never have been made a minister in the first place but in saying that his brief was huge and the burden should have been shared amongst the other parties in the government. Basically FF and FG have screwed over the Greens and left them with this mess but it also begs the questions why were the Greens not screaming about getting extra support for O'Gorman, surely a threatening to pull down the government would have elicited some form of response from FF and FG. It is shameful the Darragh O'Brien was able to tell O'Gorman that housing the asylum seekers wasn't his problem and turned his back on him and walked away and was allowed get away with it. To me it looks like he has been left to swing by not only FF and FG but also by his own party.

Still though as much of the blame of this mess is with O'Gorman it was a government decision, this wasn't O'Gorman going of all on his own. So the blame lies with all the government parties.

• Advertisement

You gave a very detailed list and it was waved away with "well that's just your opinion". I don't know why certain people are so hellbent on denying that we have so many problems

I already told you, my hometown is a small rural town. They have asylum seekers and Ukrainian refugees in two different accommodations.

There are no issues. No one in the town has any problems with the new arrivals. School has increased teachers. Pubs still open. Festival with music every night going as strong as ever. I say that because you asked for personal experience.

Your list is not a report from any kind of official organisations.

If there are issues with health services, I would expect that a GP association would be highlighting those issues.

if there are strains due to asylum seekers in education, then why aren't the teachers unions highlighting them?

How many immigrants work in nursing homes? I reckon they do more to keep them going then close them down.

yours is just a list of things you think, with nothing to back it up.

Back them up. With facts. Anything else is just opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Loads of trading hotels have been lost to tourism.

If you didn't know that you are seriously deluded.

Which is unsurprising giving your steadfast defense of it all

I can't agree with all of that especially the first 2, most young Irish folks won't work in a lot of the jobs that the immigrants take up like cleaners, waiting staff and other such jobs, especially the jobs are the lower paid end of the spectrum. The second point on the young people emigrating, I don't think that is down to Immigration, the high rents and high cost of living were here well before this immigration problem. The housing problem is as a result of government policy, yes immigration will have an impact but again that is a government decision and is not caused by immigration alone.

Most of the problems we are seeing and that you have listed are all caused lack of foresight and planning from the government and civil servants which I think would still be an issue even if we didn't have the immigration problems lumped on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

The government/media are on a serious PR mission to educate the public on the whole immigration process . RTE news explaining different articles last night on the news. Print media with articles daily now.

It's like they are afraid that what some points the protesters are making has the agreement of alot of people.

Also, the adding of countries to safe lists and Helen McEntee saying we need to get rid of economic applications abusing the asylum process.

This is exactly what the public have been complaining about for years.

GRIPT media have made all the above points for a long time now.

Roll on the local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Annasopra has been proven to post misinformation about fethard arson in Tipperary. Poster has zero credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

If we need immigrants to be cleaners, waiting staff and other such jobs then we have a work visa system which all are welcome to apply for.

Did you miss the part where I said nobody should be housed in working hotels, and I saw a report from traders in Killarney about the fall in tourism there.

Defence of what now?

I love how you deny there are issues with health services. Everyone knows how broken the public system already is

• Advertisement

Have you ever lived in a seasonal tourist town along the west coast?

I can guarantee 100% you haven't.

Tourism related jobs are where most people work. It's where almost every young Irish person works.

No one is denying that there are issues with our health system, haven't there been issued forever!

It's not because of immigrants though. If it was the unions would be saying that.

The point is that there are already issues and adding to stretched services is going to break them even further. This is basic stuff

And most of the folks working in that industry will be either be people for European countries such as Poland, Croatia, Serbia and other such countries and anyone outside Europe would have a work visa or have gone through the immigration/asylum process and are allowed to work here. The ones that are being accommodated in hotels or sleeping in tents on the street are not going to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Roderic O'Gorman is very well intentioned, I've no doubt about that. But he's typical of too many people on too many issues nowadays, in that when their ideology is shown to be ineffective they won't adapt. They are guided more by ideology than reality.

The Government are trying to educate the masses about immigration, and to be fair I would agree that a lot of people have overly negative views of immigrants. But the other side is that there has been too much immigration in too short a time and services have been overwhelmed.

If the Government acknowledged that fact, said they would try to rectify it, and also went ahead with their campaign they might have more success than they expect. But what they're doing now is likely to be divisive. If the Government doesn't acknowledge real problems around immigration they won't be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder how or why anyone would trust the current crowd in Government to follow through on any of their immigration "reforms". To me it just looks like a knee jerk panicked response to the electorate. Elections are looming, and talk is cheap. I think it is all optics myself.

I do understand that we have certain obligations but we also have optional opt outs too. Was there any mention of that in all their very recent announcements?

Seems to me they are collectively going "Oh sh!t, the natives are in revolt" Do something, anything. Hey RTE tell them this and push it, push it. They'll get the propaganda message eventually.

Closing hotels leads to less work for Local people, quieter pubs, less traditional music, more locals leaving the area. All the stuff furze99 mentioned.

This I've seen happen in coastal towns. You say you are familiar with a rural town but they are two entirely different beasts.

This really is basic stuff on the west coast where it's tourism or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

This stuff about adding to the safe countries list is largely a sticking plaster designed to placate an angry population that won't have a material impact. Especially if we don't include the likes of Nigeria and Morocco. Georgia is on the safe country list and it still has 3,700 people in the system. They will be going nowhere.

The answer to this is to prevent them stepping foot in the country in the first place, and a beefed up Garda enforced mandatory deportation policy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement