Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

I dunno what your problem is. If you don't wanna believe it, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭con747

Ok, do you want to take my credit card details Mr/Mrs honest person on an anonymous platform where anyone can say they are whoever? I'm out of this now so work away.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Some of the silliest thing i'd have to say i came across on this thread would have to be: people saying random petty stuff like trying to return slightly modified cans to the RVM machine is gonna get you sent to jail and is fraud, and that to do your neighbor a favor and bring their recycles to the nearest RVM for them would require a waste collection permit and registering your vehicle for a waste management license. Some stuff is really out there. Hardly jail worthy, petty crime or a fine at most. Some are taking creative alternatives far too serious in a biased way without offering any solution or alternative themself.

The biggest thing that still baffles me about this scheme is how do re-turn expect to reach a 90% return rate when less than 80% of the people buying the cans is even going to participate? it really does not make sense and is an unrealistic goal

Re-Turn should go back to the drawing board with that one, and come up with something less stingy/mean with the money. Their goal can be easier to reach if they allowed all soda cans, instead of trying to gate keep with getting manufacters to registering with them. Re-turn should be government funded, goverment should pay us for our cans, or someone. Damaged cans should be accepted too. accept all cans, pay for cans. Pay to play. They want to achieve their desired goals and target recycling results free of charge. Hilarious. The people wanting us to reach 90% are really self entitled to be demanding free help to get their job done.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ardagh is in aluminium cans as a result of picking up regulatorily required sales from the Ball/Rexam merger. Aughinish produces alumina and another heavy electrical process is required to produce aluminium - doubt we’d be competitive on availability of electricity or price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Well if i buy bottles and cans and pay the extra I will look for a return shop to feed the machine and get my voucher.

+ I have been informed Rejects can be brought into store for HUMAN checking.

I cannot afford just to dump them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

Its trotted out here a lot when anyone points to any potential Re-Turn pitfalls "oh but these schemes are already in / coming in elsewhere".

Would be interesting to compare the finer detail on how these schemes are setup in other EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

i think these schemes work well in other countries certainly on holiday in holland years ago, people just brought the bottles back to the shop machines for a refund. personally, prevention is better than cure, i bought a large 7 litre water filter years ago, 50 quid a year for new filters and we probably drink and use 10 to 14 litres a day. As for fizzy drinks we dont really bother, ive a soda stream here somewhere so ill probably dig that out. i am really a believer in reducing packaging at source, and shops and manufacturers should have to do that. Convenience for them is filling the world with one use packaging, and dont get me started on plastic toys held in plastic boxes with plastic clips..... grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Based on the limited information on the thread, we seem to be an outlier with the scale of our exemption and lack of stores offering manual returns.

Therefore I don't think it is accurate to say the same scheme worked in X therefore it will work here. On specific technical points about how the RVMs work yes. But not the overall scheme getting to 90%.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Im more interested in upfront cost and inconvenience to the consumer. I suspect we'll be elbowing other countries out the way on that front.

The machine's themself work no doubts there, its the way the scheme is set up that's being the killer, and the people being shafted (who's help they need to reach the goal). Instead of encouraged via any reward based incentive we're being pushed up against a wall and bullied into it. The company's orchestrating this scheme deserve any backlash they get.

They want too much control and give nothing in return, its funny seeing them trying to call all the shots with no bargaining tool. They have the ethos of a spoiled child stomping its feet and demanding free help lol

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

I think the inconvenience has been shoved onto the consumers. There is no actual incentive for consumers to return - it is a stick to get their deposits back to break even. Doesn't matter how much you recycle. Whereas large scale operators of RVMs the scheme is setup for them to make money on it. This does not seem like a fair balance. Small scale operators have to put up with the hassle of manual returns or operating RVMS at a loss \ breakeven. Exempt operators have to see their customers go to competitors to reclaim the deposit.

Exactly, and by this its quite clear now thats its more of a numbers game and that they don't actually care about recycling at all, or if they do they're prioritizing money over it. Maybe their aim is to make the scheme so un-appealing that little to no one actually bothers returning the recycleables, and the scheme profits off of the deposits from the sales made instead.

Not taking damaged cans makes it look like it's set up to "fail" (from outsider looking in point of view) but really succeed because more money to be made from the deposits than from the actual cans/bottles themself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

While everyone will say - "but Germany", it is not a like for like situation. The German scheme was their first, and still only, way to recycle plastic bottles. Their mother tongue, to coign a phrase, is the pfand system. They went from not recycling plastic to this solution, and have stuck with it.

In Ireland, we are starting a very different place to Germany, we have 20 years kerbside collection for plastic, an entire industry has been created and allowed grow for both recycling and waste management, and we have been reasonably successful in that.

When we agreed to better collection rates from the EU (something that is good), we did not agree to, nor were we directed to use any specific method to achieve it. But instead of trying to find a way to build on the kerbside collection and recycling - something we ultimately have to do anyway [for all other waste streams] - we instead "copied Germany".

We are adopting a course of action that was correct 20 years ago, but is not a solution that will address coming challenges we face today.

We love this kind of solution here.

Instead of simply crossing the road we build a bridge over it, make paddy crawl across hanging on the underside and charge him a toll for the pleasure.

Then we get told it's more convenient or its good for the environment.

The most unbelievable part of it all is the massive raft of apologists that row in behind such carry on.

And therein lies another issue, we'll always have people who believe everything the system sprouts and instantly jump in its defense and nearly defend it with their life lol. You critique it or point out obvious clear flaws they fail to see, or even offer ways to fix/help the scheme and they go nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

To me, the scheme seems to be engineered in a way thaty gaurantees "success".

-if no one engages with it, it will be a success for Return (Don't they keep the deposit???)

-if everyone engages, it will be a success.

-if everyone stops buying cans and bottles, it will be a success

-if the returns are a small proportion of sales, it will be because "people are recycling the old way", so still a success.

The true measure of success would be hard to quantify (and probably doesnt matter as much as a made up number on a report somewhere).

I've seen a made up figure of 60% current recycling (for the target materials?) with a target of 90%. This would mean that the scheme will only be successful if an increase of 30% is achieved.

Surely the set up of Return is a bit of a golden goose. I only hope that the awarding of that cash machine has zero conflicts of interest involved.

Yes, its a win-win for them, but not for the consumer, consumer only breaks even at best and is told to bite the bullet in choosing the between the lesser of 2 evils. Really unfair scheme from the get-go.

As for their way of measurement in terms of success, they're using the reports from the RVM machines and data on comparing number of deposits returned vs deposits sold.

But what puzzles me is: how can they expect to reach atleast 9/10 aka 90%, if more than every 1 out of 10 people decide to continue recycling the old fashioned way, or boycott, or whatever. achieving 90% then becomes an impossibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Plus the failure rate when attempting to return...

The only way they could attempt to calulate how much is recycled is to go by weight across all recycling methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Lots of posters including myself have acknowledged the element of inconvenience involved in the system.

How could it not be more inconvenient to take your empties to an RVM rather than put them in a bin outside the back door ?

What is a bit unbelievable is that anyone comes onto a discussion forum and is surprised to find discussion.

They currently calculate it based off of what the machines tell them (and how much deposits has been printed out) although i do see in theory they could go by how many times they had to empty the machine, or how many times it got filled up. They're more likely to just go with what the machine tells them.

Meaning if someone found a way to re-insert the same can x100 times, their system would have false information and think 100 more cans has been deposited into the rvm storage, than actually has been..

Weight could be another form of measurement, but they only seem to care about numbers at this point. So whatever the machine tells them is what they're going by as recycled units

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bloody hell lads, some rubbish being spouted here. The scheme is very simple and being complicated by cranks here.

People saying "i will not participate"? How, will you stop buying the products with a deposit on them?

Will you stand at the till and refuse to pay the deposit?

Or will simply just throw your own money away and not return them?

Also other posters complaining but don't realise the scheme will capture extra items not currently included with private recycling. Many people who go to local Centra and buy a drink will now return that and that will stop littering.

Same people on here now objecting probably also objected to plastic bag scheme and smoking ban both of which have benefited the country as a whole and is seen as completely normal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dingaan

Will they have hand washing facilities at the sites? I would certainly want to wash my hands after handling, for example, empty beer cans.

Most people in my circle aren't bothered by this scheme and will take the financial hit. The green bin is very convenient. This solution is a lot of hassle for little gain.

Yes but there's a lot more to it than that. I didnt just mention the inconvenience did I? But we have the minimizing and cherry picking of things.

But yes that is all part of discussion. Or are you a mod on this forum now who decides what is and isnt discussion? If so I wholeheartedly apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you wash your hands after putting beer cans in your bin. No difference.

they will if covid comes back lol. remember them hand washing stations and soup dispensor yokes at the enterances?

i really miss those little bins that came with them

I deliberately didn't mention your story about paddy and bridges.

I'm not back seat modding which is not allowed.

I was replying to to you finding it unbelievable that some posters support the system.

No need to apologise at all.

No one is complicating the scheme here, we're only complaining about it seeing as we never had our fair chance at complaining during the consultation phase since they kept it hush hush and did'nt properly inform he public of their chance to object/give feedback.

Regarding participate and people saying they won't partake simply means they're not gonna feed the RVM and will bite the bullet in losing their deposit.

If one stops buying products that have deposits on them, then that is a boycott.

As for "capturing extra items" its losing more items by the people who firmly stand against partaking and insist on home recycling, aswell as damaged cans being unreturnable anyway. its losing more than its gaining, items wise.

If more than 1 in 10 people refuse to bring their recycleables to the RVM's, how is it possible for us to then reach a goal of 90%? please tell me the answer to this, i'd genuinely like to know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Folks am I correct in saying that if I bring back my bottles and cans to say my local supervalu and get a deposit voucher, does that mean I have use the deposit voucher in that supervalu?

The big problem with the scheme as setup here is no, you won't just be able to return your can or bottle to Centra (i.e. your local convenience store). These almost all have exemptions. You'll have to hold onto it, keep it intact, and bring it to an RVM to get back your deposit. There will be a non-zero number of people who don't bother.

Another gap is also no mechanism yet for handling deliveries.

• Advertisement

No but I have seen an RVM with a tiny little sink to pour any residue into.

I haven't done a poll among people I know but I doubt they will do the same as your friends.

Currently the minimum price of a can of 4.3% beer is €1.69.

The returned deposit on 11 cans will be €1.65 almost the price of a full can.

I think most people would rather have a can of beer to drink than throw the price of it in the bin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement