Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential to airbnb

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

You dumped it and failed to explain the relevant parts that you insist ensure that using third party companies or otherwise, a way around the legislation to let for less than 15 days cannot be found. A link dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There won't be anything that specifies that exactly, as it's a known thing that you can't just wave away illegalities by saying someone else did it for you

If it's being let for under 15 days, it's illegal. Doesn't matter a jot if it's framed as a sub lease or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Can you show us how a third party advertising a short let would be any different to an owner advertising a short let? From an enforcement perspective it is the owner who is subject to enforcement, but that does not mean the third party is acting legally.

The links I provided are what you asked for, it isn’t up to me to ensure you understand them.

Stop digging.

Ah i see. You tell me im wrong. Then you link dump. Then its up to me to provide the proof that you are wrong. I see how this works :) You stop digging. You have proved nothing at all. I am not out to prove anything. Just telling you what i was told. You stated it couldnt be done. Back it up properly instead of just link dumping.

Look around you. Observe all of the short term lets that would not be there if there was no way around this legislation. Then ask yourself how many people have been prosecuted. Probably very few and only the ones who werent clever enough to find a loophole.

It’s up to you having claimed you can pick holes in the legislation and that your friend has found a way to circumvent it, other than not complying with it and taking a chance on not being caught, to provide some supporting information. As I said, I provided the legislation you asked me for.

Non compliance is not a way around the legislation, it is acting contrary to it.

• Advertisement

Lets agree to disagree. When you come back to me with sense or proof that people a significant proportion of the short term lets are being prosecuted because the legislation led to the prosecution we can talk. Until then you have nothing but hot air and finger wagging. Thats my last word to you because otherwise we will be going for years before you get proof.

There's near zero enforcement. That doesn't make it not illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I thought we weren't allowed to link dump here on this category on boards.ie.

Living the life

Linking to legislation that answers a question being asked is not link dumping

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- we are specifically excluded from offering legal advice in this forum.

I accept that there are grey areas- but please keep this in mind and keep your questions, answers and anecdotes framed in such a way that you don't skirt this rule please.

Thankyou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

As far as I'm aware this statute was never commenced so isn't relevant.

An earlier (2019 I believe) act brought in the STL rules and regulations, and, as stated by other posters, it is not enforced, primarily because it's so difficult to.

Back to the OP - Another act is to be introduced that will see online platforms barred from taking advertisements, unless the home owner can prove they have planning permission to use the premises for STL purposes. This, on paper at least, seems to be much harder to dodge than the current paper tiger, and may put an end to the current "Sure see what you can get away with" situation.

The legislation the EU found restrictive was the creation of a register with hosts who let for more than 21 days a year having to register with Failte Ireland.

There has now been agreement reached in the EU so now legislation in addition to that which requires planning, and which has been enacted already and is in force, can now go ahead.

I have already posted a link to the enacted legislation, which has commenced. They are two separate pieces of legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Advertisement