Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No you can exchange your voucher for cash in that store without making a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i wash the cans instead, before putting them in. i'm still living in covid times, can't be too sure!

and also BIG difference

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Far easier way to boost recycling rates would have been the addition of public recycling bins - many local authorities only have general waste public bins on high streets, adding recycling bins means people will put PET bottles and cans in those rather than general waste

Think of all the public drinking that goes on in summer, and then where they put the empty cans - nobody is taking them home, or to a retailer - they are putting them in public bins. And will continue to in spite of this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well never heard of anyone doing that before. Outside of cans are not dirty.

• Advertisement

yes that is correct, you have to redeem the voucher in the same store. You can redeem the voucher for cash and then choose to spend that cash anywhere you like, or save it.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This has not been kept hush hush and been coming down the track for years.

Public don't have to be consulted on everything.

I think this scheme will be a big success like it is in the rest of the world , where people also have recycle bins at home. Ireland is not special.

Boards.ie and The Journal are thankfully not representative of Irish society and people will embrace it.

That will be a problem for some.

However most don't do all their shopping in a convenience store so they will hold on to the empties until they visit an RVM shop.

There will be some who don't bother but I don't think there will be too many. See other post above.

On the deliveries, I posted a couple of weeks ago about a potential solution offering an opening for Independent stores ie. Super Valu.

The driver could accept the empties in a clear plastic bag and bring them back to the shop in the cab of the van away from the food in the rear.

Put them in the RVM and credit the customer on the next order.

A bit convoluted but workable and useful for elderly or disabled customers.

Could also give the shop a USP over Tesco who have said they won't take empties.

No you're misunderstanding what i said. Most complaints have been disregarded by a jobsworth or troll (still can't figure which it is) who basically was like in a round about way saying "HAHA you missed ur chance to complain and should have raised the issue during the consultation phrase, you had the choice to have your voice heard but didnt know about it because you werrnt notified proprly, it was open to public partipashin, ur now stuck with the scheme and lsot ur chance to complain hahahaha" .

i'm not saying the scheme was kept hush hush, the launch was initially meant to be jan 1st 2023 and i been following it closely on and off since 2021 out of personal interest. i'm saying the "we're open to hearing the publics complaints/objections/feedback" stage was kept hush hush despite being for the purpose of the public.

The poster who was sprouting all that was only doing so for a convenient excuse to escape when caught out on defending certain parts of the scheme, and had no answer. a get-out-of-jail free card essentially.

"not representative of Irish society and people will embrace it" Not sure how people are meant to embrace an intentional inconvenience put their way. this is more primarily about getting people to go out of their way to do something they already do anyway. Unnecessary travel to support a scheme that holds their deposits as ransom being the carrot on the stick.

Do you realize that alot of people won't care about this carrot and will still continue to stay at home recycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The scheme needs to get to 90% so the 'some' are a problem for that target. 'Most' people may already be recycling the items in their green bins, for all we know.

And it's not just the person picking up a bottle of coke on the go. There is a cohort of people who shop in small local shops, rural and suburban villages where the shops won't be big enough for RVM. More than just a corner shop, a large convenience store. Lot of them shop on foot.

Something like that would be needed for deliveries, but the question is whether the shops will actually do it. No indications so far.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Re the hand-washing thing, I reckon that's a bit of a red-herring.

Like my normal shop involves pushing a trolley/basket that someone else has recently used, opening thumb-printed doors, putting my hand on shelves, picking up fruit possibly rejected by other people, receiving potentially soiled coins/notes for my change. It's a very unhygienic 30 minutes if I obsessed about it in any way. 6 empty beer cans which I have had exclusive possession of doesn't add much to the hygiene situation.

very true! and also if anyone wants to counter the whole hands/washing/germs thing. they could easily just wear a pair of material gloves (not disposible ones) and just always use those for when going out doors into shops and touching things and money and handles with, and take them off once they come home. no need for hand washing then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Thanks very much that makes things easier. I thought that it was just a voucher and I could only use it in that shop, didn't realise that I could exchange the voucher for cash. I thought I would have to go to multiple shops to get the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

I have said many times that I will not be participating. Call me a crank ;)

Just to clarify - By not participating I mean I intend to not ever purchase a product that is part of this scheme.  This is different to someone who will continue to buy what they used to, pay the deposit and then not bothering to claim back the deposit.

I've outlined how I will do this previously, its a mix of moving to larger volume containers, buying containers outside the scheme (i.e. glass), reducing plastic (using sodastream, for example), and importing anything else I need in bulk from NI (while doing so there without deposit is an option).  Anything recycleable I will continue to put in the bin outside my house.

What I am doing is better for the environment than the false sense of good you get from putting a single use plastic at an RVM.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Nah, I meant as an overall target.

Like you can't get to 90% by only counting the returns in the machines (+ manual returns). To get to 90% you will have to also count other forms of recycling like green bin, or public recycling bins (I hope they don't get rid of them now!).

As a total, I think we can get to 90%, but only if all forms of can/bottle recycling are measured. Problem is, I don't think we are set up to actually measure this - so how can we properly measure success?

Maybe, reduction of litter? hard to measure that too beyond anecdotally (And other, better solutions exist to that issue as have been put forward)

For me, it's likely to make me reduce my consumption which is a good thing. I can't see me driving to deposit recycling when I have a green bin that gets collected.

Basically you mean boycotting the items that have the return logo on them, in a nutshell. i want more people like you please. People like you do more good for the enrivoment, than these other consumers who are still buying packaging and drinks that are bad for enviromentals.

Hitting them in their pockets is the best thing anyone can do, sadly those who don't return their cans lose their deposit, and those that do return them only break even at best, loss of money or loss of time for the consumer, but a win-win for return.

The only winning move is not to play, aka not paying a deposit to begin with. good on you my son, go on my son! <3

yes i agree to achieve a 90% goal we would need to count all those other things/ways too, the company making this scheme are too close minded and want too much control and are gate keeping that number by intentionally not allowing other things in and intentionally not counting anything else other than what their machines give as stats. Very narrow minded and tunnel visioned they are and mean. They want all the control and giving nothing in return but demand free help and somehow expect to reach 90% on their on terms lmao. whole thing is a joke. They want free slaves essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

I know you didnt mention my story. You cherry picked. Its ok. No rules against that.

What you also did was try to tell me I shouldnt post because 1 aspect of my comment has been covered here before. Now you wiesel trying to say you didnt.

Ok Mr Mod man.

We'll wait and see if we get a comparison of how the scheme is administered (not just the inconvenience of it) between countries and see if my Paddy story holds up. I'll come back to you then. And I'll include any inconvenience commentary I wish to. Again. And anything else I wish to cover thats already been covered....... again.

I don't know how you got the idea that I was telling you what to post but you got the wrong end of the stick.

Once again I was not back seat modding.

Please post whatever you like about the new recycling system and stop having a go at me.

every cloud has a silver lining and with this scheme i would like to sell that silver lining for scrap metal LOL!

i'm trying to think of some ways to make money off of this scheme, the way i see it is "if the scheme sucks, and they won't give us any money/profit, its up to us to figure out how to profit off of it ourselves, and why not anyway? if there's a will there's a way, and if there's an opportunity its maybe worth looking into. 15c cent a piece (cans) or 25c cent (bottles) might seem really petty and not worth looking into at such a small price, but its the number of units returned that counts.

Lets say someone brings back just 4 bottles, thats €1!, x10 it. 40 bottles is a free tenner. if theres a way to better organize collection, or some local thing, or money on the side side hustle idea, it might be worth thinking about if there's stuff being collected from like 5 or more houses.

obviously not enough to make a living, but its a nice bit of extra money on the side. a small nice little pocket change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Just back from Tesco in Cabinteely and interesting outside shop is a new waste bin to recycle your plastic bottles to help assisting cleaning up the place which is great.

Inside the store behind and side of tills is the new recycling machine for bottles and cans.

Rejects can be brought to counter to recheck he said.

LOVELY JUBBLY! *thats for that information. The "Rejects can be brought to counter to recheck he said" thing, opens up a whole new door of opertunity. Golden opertunity prefferably. any idea how they will recheck these rejects? could be visual inspection, or a handheld scanner thingy i imagine. i hope its just a lazy headcount of the tins XD

EDIT: *thanks for the information i meant to say

Double the brut, find the busiest time on Google, lay on the charm, maybe have a couple of genuine slightly damaged cans top of the bag, and you could be on to a winner there :)

exactly! you know it makes sense. After all he-who-dares, wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dunnes have sent out push notifications via their app today - just got one...

IRELAND’S DEPOSIT RETURN SCHEME AT DUNNES STORES

From 1st February 2024, all Irish retailers will be required to charge a small deposit on bottles and cans that feature the Re-Turn logo.

The deposit amount depends on the size of the container:

150ml to 500ml = 15c deposit​

500ml to 3 litres = 25c deposit​

Customers can then return their empty, clean and undamaged containers to a reverse vending machine in-store and get this deposit back in the form of a voucher. This voucher can then be redeemed for cash at the till or used towards your grocery shopping.

Please note, your Re-Turn deposit cannot be used to reach the spend threshold of our €10 off €50 and €5 off €25 vouchers.

Thanks for this information. Also regarding that last part at the end "Please note, your Re-Turn deposit cannot be used to reach the spend threshold of our €10 off €50 and €5 off €25 vouchers" a person can easily swap the vouchers for cash, and use that cash to reach the threshhold of the €10 off €50 and €5 off €25 vouchers.

I think what they mean is that if you bought 2 X 24 cans of Coke for say €9 each, then you pay €7.20 in DRS (48 x 0.15), although your total to pay is over €25, for the voucher you spent only €18. So no fiver off til you spend on something else.

It's one of those little things that will slow up checking out for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No, I think it means when you are totalling up your spend, you need to spend €50 in store to get €10 back. The deposits don't count towards that €50 spend. That will catch people out. Balls.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Decided to buy some cans pre Feb 1st, but local off-license has already put prices up (20c per can).

Chap behind counter (who in fairness I wouldn't expect to know the system as he's just a lowly employee in an offy chain) said all cans in the shop went up today but that I'd get it back under the new return scheme. Seemed dodgy enough to me - nothing on my obscure can of Swiss beer to indicate it's any different to purchases last week - so I declined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Products must have the logo on the side for a refund. Retailers are getting new barcodes for the updated products. A few companies such as VIT HIT have already started sending out new products to stores. Products without the re-turn logo should remain the same price and it is up to the retailer to manage how the transition happens. In our shop, we will sell the old stuff, and once that is gone replace it with the re-turn marked products that contain a new barcode. The price will go up 15c for the re-turn items only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement