Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• People seemed to have glossed over the fact that its reported that Ulster aren't offering Burns a contract for next season. I don't know how that can be equated to the IRFU weakening one province to help another.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Two messages ago I admitted that it is fair that since Ulster aren't offering Burns another contract so he is more than within his right to move elsewhere and do whatever he wants and Ulster need to go and find another fly half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's baffling to me. Flannery is not trusted! Burns has been a good signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Munster shouldn't be responsible for paying the Irish Captain, surely that is what Central Contracts are for? I'd argue he would be better value to them if he was dropped or retired from International duty.

• Advertisement

I agree fully. The IRFU will be setting a very dangerous precedent if they don't offer O'Mahony a contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Ulster are also rumoured to have made a £900k loss last season, largely driven by the fact that they couldn't host La Rochelle in Ravenhill (probably lost out to the tune of £700k+ on that one alone). Billy Burns is 29, so he's at a period of his career where he's going to give one last push to get paid. Maybe with the losses in mind, Ulster have decided to not up their spend on a guy they don't fully believe in.

The vast majority of provincial contracting is already done so Ulster already know who they are or aren't getting, so must be satisfied with whatever deal they've done. I'd be exceptionally surprised if it was Harry Byrne, he's our number 2 for a few years yet. Prendergast's time will come, but he's still 20 and far from the finished article. I'd be hoping he's pushing for the number one spot in 2025/26 season realistically. The age profiles of Ross, Harry and Sam all line up nicely to form a good succession plan.

Does that mean that Frawley is going north? A lot more likely than Harry, but there's also Leinster's forgotten man, Charlie Tector. He'll be 22, has the same pedigree as Prendergast (u20s grand slam winning starting 10) and looks to be a very good player. He's a year ahead of Prendergast, so pushing for a starting berth next season would be about the right timing for his career. He'll also be a lot cheaper than both Harry and Frawley.

My guess is that Ulster are willing to back Flannery for next season and are going to take a gamble on Tector coming good in a season or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Pains me to say it as a Connacht fan but either Kilgallen or Bolton would be a great fit for Leinster imo. Both the type of powerful, abrasive athlete that doesn't seem to come through the Leinster academy. Both are probably as good as it will get in terms of replacing Lowe, at least in terms of power. I can't imagine Irish rugby producing a player with Lowe's combination of power, playmaking, and kicking ability any time soon.

I wonder would Marty Moore be a casualty of the cuts for Ulster. Can't imagine with them wanting to save money and Scott Wilson coming through the academy that they are looking to offer Moore anything more than a one year deal.

I know Leo and Moore had a falling out over his conditioning and refusal to slim down but that was 8 years ago and I wonder can they bury the hatchet and get a deal done.

• Advertisement

I can see Leinster outsourcing for another winger in the future. They have some good players like Jordan Larmour, Rob Russell, Tommy O'Brien, Jimmy O'Brien as well as young players like Andrew Osborne, Aitzol King but I expect them to get another big booted left footed winger similar to Lowe not next season but the season after.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I know Leo and Moore had a falling out over his conditioning and refusal to slim down but that was 8 years ago and I wonder can they bury the hatchet and get a deal done.

Why?

It's not like his conditioning has improved and whilst he has some good qualities as a Prop , they really aren't remotely a fit for the game that Leinster play.

Moore would struggle massively to fit into the Leinster game plan.

If Moore isn't part of the Ulster plans for the next few years I'd say he could pick up a decent contract in France in one of the up and coming Pro D2 sides that are spending money at the moment , much better fit for his skillset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster have been looking at Tom O'Toole if the Bel Tel is to be believed. Doubt we've any interest in Moore.

I think a bokke will come in to replace big Mike. Would probably be inexpensive and buys time for Clarkson and McGuire.

Aitzol King could get playing time over the next month. I rate this lad and have feeling he could be a fine player.

I think at this stage, you are right, it probably will be a Bok but it has been interesting that they tried to get Tom O'Toole. It makes me think would they consider Jack Aungier? They could easily go out and find a NIQ TH but they focused on O'Toole first, why is that? Are they worried about Furlong long term? Are they looking to hold onto the NIQ designations for different positions? Were they just trying to take advantage of Ulster's salary cap difficulties?

I am probably digging way too deep but has me curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I mean, Osbourne is literally all that, plus the ability to play across the entire backline. If he could just get an injury free run...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Probably should have been more clear, I was referring to back 3 players only, which is where I could see either Bolton or Kilgallen filling a gap. I imagine Osborne will primarily play centre moving forward. The Leinster academy isn't churning out many power wingers, more so smaller footballers like Russell, JOB, Keenan, Cosgrave, etc. Aitzol King is probably the exception to the rule, but the Connacht lads mentioned are a good bit ahead of him in terms of first team readiness right now.

O'Toole would have been a fine signing. Aungier too. But who would want to come in and back up Furlong?

If Munster do not sign John Ryan, I would sign him for a year.

Not sure about signing a wing. Russell and O'Brien are good quality. JOB would be involved if healthy! What would Kilgannon bring that these lads don't?

We have good prospects in the academy.

I think the issue is, or why O'Toole would have been desirable, is it allows for some long term planning.

THP is a cornerstone position, and even if you could probably find a better player than O'Toole right now on the NIQ market, you really only get one contract out of them, whereas TOT is 25 and a guy you can long term plan around.

• Advertisement

I think the 2nd Tighthead at Leinster is actually a really good role. Furlong isn't going to play every week so that player will get a lot of game time, They will be working alongside a lot of the starters for Ireland and bench players meaning easier to see a natural fit for the Ireland team if they play well. The likelihood of representing Ireland usually goes up representing Leinster so Aungier might get more opportunities internationally.

I wonder if they think Clarkson is reaching that level? I have to say, he's made strides this season. I wouldn't mind Aungier. But he's fairly certain to be starting for Connacht in the future. What does Bealham have left?

I like Clarkson alot but if Furlong was to get injured next season, Leinster are left very very light in terms of top quality. Aungier isn't there either but he is on his way.

Very true. But I am really liking what I have seen from Clarkson. It'd be nice if McGuire stepped up some also. I've seen him play for UCD recently and he's been decent.

I suppose a NIQ is probably on the cards.

Speaking of Furlong, he's only got 1 more year on his contract! He could be out the door then. Or a big $$$ offer from abroad.

I'm really liking how well Clarkson is developing too but I think that Leinster know their is a year or two gap between when Clarkson and McGuire potentially hit peak years of playing. They probably feel the same about Jack Boyle and Paddy McCarthy. They have Porter long term and Cian Healy (probably for another season).

Leinster know that they are maybe a good back up tighthead prop away from giving Nienaber everything he needs to succeed in all competitions.

I think Furlong probably stays put, He knows his worth but I think Leinster and Ireland will keep him on a central contract and Furlong probably won't push to hard for a move abroad.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

@Dubinusa

do you know there is a way to edit your posts so that you dont have to quote the same post twice to say what you want?

after you post you will see three dots where the post number is (ie in this case its #22735)

you have the ability to edit the post up to 24 hours after you post.

im only saying this as you seem to have a habit of posting multiple replies to a post, or multiple times in a row with no quote, so i assume you didnt know about this feature.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Advertisement