Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

... wrong thread ... MS layoffs on news thread

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Hellblade 2 being sold as a short game for €49.99 is a welcome move. But personally I think it needs to be €30-€40 to really attract people. We've all bought a game that you don't really care for that much but have pulled the trigger because of a combination of price and because you've heard its decent.

E.g PoP for €40, yep I've spent more on pizza and I hear its good. It's a no brainer.

But of course the real price of Hellblade 2 is actually €10 with a 7 hour game being very comfortably completed within a month of game pass, even while also playing other games.

I grow increasingly baffled with the subscription model in gaming. After a 3 year stacked sub I came to the conclusion its not worth keeping indefinitely and is better to dip in and out. Getting a €50 game for €10 day one just feels like some sort of semi-piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

I went in for Starfield and then since it's only 10 euros (it's cheaper than Netflix ffs) I kept it going and ended up playing games that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. I think it's a win-win for both me and them, well in my case anyway.

10 quid per month is the PC price. (14.99 for console, although there are always discounts available)

I've played games on GamePass and then bought them cheap in case I ever wanted to play them again or where I'd only played the main game and there was still loads to do (side content, DLC, ...).

Subscription services are definitely a good way to sample a load of games. You have to remember to cancel though. If you can get a good multi year deal then it's even better

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

mmm. Sounds enticing. Haven't heard anything similar to the Ganker scourge that blights Elite Dangerous.

Just have to wait for that Alienware nividia 4090 GPU laptop to arrive

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just did the entire Tekken 8 story mode in one 3-hour sitting. That was a lot of fun. Stupid, cheesy and OTT in all the best ways. I already love this game more than T7 which was a huge letdown for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Had anyone on here sold and posted a game recently. Last time i did it was about 2 years ago and i just needed one of those padded envelopes that's the size of the ps5 game case and stick on a 2 euro stamp and job was done. Checking in on post for prices now, it looks like it will cost about 4 euro to post?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I usually get charged around €3.50. it can be cheaper if I just stick it in a plain envelope as it goes as a letter rather than small package.

3.50 is what CEX charge for postal delivery of a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Played the demo and while I did enjoy it, I got burned badly on Tekken 6 and 7 at launch so I've been more cautious this time. Would appreciate more of your thoughts if you're willing? Basically should I dip my toes in as someone who has been playing since Tekken 2 on the PSX, great times!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭jj880

Yip. Normal envelope. 6 or 7 sheets of kitchen roll round edges of case. Tape it all up tight. I used the 9 euro registered post to track it online but I very rarely sell a game.

I didn't really get into Tekken 6 either, but for some reason Tekken 7 just felt so empty at launch, like they were just waiting to be able to release everything in season passes. Plus I'd platinumed T7 in the space of a weekend without even really trying, bar having to do a 10-move combo in training.

Tekken 8 feels a lot meatier from the start. 32 fighters and a better mix of fighters. The fighting seems a lot tighter and a bit more refined, but still very familiar (my Hwoarang combos still work thankfully). The Heat gauge and Rage moves are well implemented and feel easier to use, I never got the hang of the rage moves in T7. There's an arcade mode where you design a cartoony avatar and go to different arcades to level up, but it also feels pretty well designed in that it's trying to teach you how to get better as you progress. I'm fairly early in that though at this stage.

It just looks and feels a lot better to play than T7 did, but I may not even be the best person to advise because I didn't play T7 a lot in the end. Once it became clear how much was going to be behind season pass bullsh*t, I lost interest in the game pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Tekken was MY game but I was totally underwhelmed by Tekken 7. The fighting dynamic changed a bit and in terms of characters I've tired of them.

MK has been killer for some time and the Injustice series has been genius. Don't think I'll bother with 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

My brief dalliance with fighting games was being briefly addicted to bowling in Tekken 3 (I think it was Tekken 3).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not a fighting game fan myself so not really interested in the new Tekken, but I watched the Digital Foundry analysis and was genuinely surprised at the gulf in visual quality between 7 and 8. Definitely looks like a big generational leap between games, albeit with John’s caveat it can sometimes be a little busy due to the sheer level of detail.

Big fan of the wandering alpacas.

MK has been my go to for ages, but man I was disappointed with MK1. The story was fun and they had some great characters, but the Kameo system just feels incredibly clunky and the Invasions mode is just godawful. The fact they're now also selling season-themed fatalities for about a tenner is just more disgusting than the actual fatalities.

Probably didn't help that I was also deep in the midst of a Baldurs Gate 3 playthrough, and even once I finished it and went back to MK I was just always thinking of BG3 probably didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Nah, MK1 was just bad. Like a step backwards but also now obviously led by greed. Not sure what the other fighting games are like, but the MT's in MK1 are typical 2K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭jj880

Always loved getting King's Bridge in Tekken 2. Not Kings most damaging combo but just something satisfying about getting it and your opponent having to watch. No escape.

I think that's one of the things Tekken did best, Used to be the same with Yoshmitsu's slow ass sword stab. Took 3 seconds for the wind up, a very vunerable 3 seconds but the sheer satisfaction of a slow windup landing on an opponent because they over extended themselves or weren't paying attention, that is *chef's kiss*.

• Advertisement

Loved using Yoshimitsu's move where he turns around and stabs himself. If the enemy was close enough it'd stab them too and do huge damage.

Of course, if the enemy wasn't close enough, you'd just stabbed yourself, lost a bunch of health and made yourself look like an idiot. Thankfully, that was back in the Tekken 3 days so nobody saw when I failed doing it pretty much 95% of the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That was a Tekken 2 move as well. Sacrifice 70% of your health but if it hit it was so 95% damage.

Old Tekken is full of moves that are fun to do but completely impractical in any kind of match.

That's what made it a brag of a kill! Me and my brother got to the point where victories only really counted if you did something ridiciulous like this or JACK's windup punch, P-JACK's death tap or Paul Phoenix's Burning Fist.

Core memory unlocked here, god I may actually buy Tekken 8 now as a result :D

I kind of preferred Bushido Blade. Who could come up with the most elaborate and stupid build up to a OHKO.

Got a cheap second hand copy of Far Cry Primeval. It's 60 FPS on Series X.

This is what happens when you had no money for video games as a child.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yet another Ubisoft open world game at 60FPS is still yet another Ubisoft open world game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God when you put it like that. My favourite genre, repeatedly curb stomped by late state capitalism.

Where's my "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" gif when I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm sad for Deus Ex but any of those 3 can be rebooted into new IPs without the sometimes unwanted old legacy. Any studio can make a great game which can be a spiritual successor of any of those 3, or all 3 combined, the series name is not what makes them great games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement