Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yeah, I'd had a complete mental block on what exactly the new logo looked like and the chap behind the counter pointed confidently at the old recyclable triangle which I 100% knew wasn't it anyway! So with me not sure and him saying all cans had gone up, I reckoned I was likely just going to be down 20c a can.

Looking at the actual Return Logo on the official website now, I'm pretty sure it wasn't on the cans. So good decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You did right, he's breaking the law by passing those cans off as refundable.

I wonder how many will be caught out ?

The chap in the off licence might be just following orders but his boss is a chancer.

Should be reported and named and shamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

I think retailers are supposed to display the DRS separate to the price, both on the shelf and on your receipt. Not a case that they just up the price on 1 Feb as that off licence seems to be doing.

Here's what Lidl pricing will look like, am sure all retailers will be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

Where I live we have a blue bin. 7.50 euro per lift. Max 20 kg contents. 35c per kg charge for anything over that.

Basically everyone uses it for plastics. Glass and cans go in the large free recycle bins available to everyone.

This scheme could potentially save on a few lifts of this bin per year producing a slight saving.

Now with all the extra faffing and lugging undamaged plastic bottles about I'd prefer to keep things as they were pre Re-Turn but its only fair to point this out.

Do many others have a per lift payment of their blue bin or is it a static monthly charge regardless of total lifts?

@jj880 mine are a fixed cost, i.e. not by pick up. I think there is a weight limit on the general bin, I don't think it has ever applied to me though, so effectively my bins cost a fixed amount per annum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just sounds incredibly petty to me.

Drinking crappy soda streams and damaging environment more by importing from the North sounds just childish and stubborn to me when the scheme you're saying won't have any impact will work.

But anyhow, go and enjoy your bitter lemon from your soda stream whilst the rest of us will just use the scheme without bother and be happy to see less litter on the street which is the main benefit of this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

When is it starting?

2 days.

One could say it really is a soft launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

That's a bizarre condition to impose. The deposit, your own money, cannot be used to reach the spend threshold for the vouchers. I'll queue for the cash.

Scrap that. What @odyssey06 posted made more sense. I'll have to spend €50 plus the deposit to qualify for a voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

yes i know, thats why i said to opt for the cash instead. i;ve done this with simular money back schemes to get around it.

i like doing combo's and figuring out the redemption order to get the best price or availance of offer possible.

the deposits can be swapped for cash, and then use that cash in a separate transaction to avail of the €50 offer

____

EDIT: nevermind my bad, i misunderstood, just finnished reading the rest of the comments and now i realize they're saying the deposit on the purchase will not count towards the threashhold. i get what it means now. The deposits themself don't count towards the progress of reaching the 50 euro needed, makes sense yes.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭n.d.os

That's exactly how it will look for all retailers operating under a group. Our shop is independent but operates under the BWG group. On our receipts the levy will be highlighted under the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

A small bit presumptious there. Have you been reading the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

That is a sickner olrite. Most people I know especially in built up areas would be on a similar payment to yourself.

Im sure Re-Turn will include more types of packaging once the scheme gets going. There could eventually be a tipping point where it wont make sense for people to continue paying for their fixed monthly / yearly recycle bin collection fee. However Re-Turn may still not be accepting all types of packaging you could put in your blue bin (or maybe they'll never cover everything). Then what happens? Fly tipping will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think you're getting confused, the voucher can be used to pay for your shopping, what dunnes are saying is the deposit can't be used to add up to the threshold.

So, for example, if you bought 20 qualifying products for €1.25 (€1+0.25) each you'd get to €25 but you wouldn't get a 5 of 25 voucher because in the eyes of dunnes you'd only have bought €20 worth of goods off them. If you bought 25 products you'd pay €31.25 (25+6.25) and would get your voucher... That's all they're saying

The situation you were worried about won't happen... If you brought back 100 qualifying products, got a €25 voucher and bought 25 loaves of €1 bread you'd be able to pay for that with the DRS voucher from the machine - and get a 5 off 25 voucher

Did you just chastise someone who stated they are committed to using less and recycling more?

Do you think you will ever question what the Green Man tells you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

ttps://us.v-cdn.net/cdn-cgi/image/fit=scale-down,width=1600/https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/58FUR8HJUMFZ/img-20240130-142602.jpg

This is not America, they should not be allow quote other than the cost of the product the till, this is reducing consumer protection especially if the deposit amount is in a font one fifth of the size. They should state Water €1.04 incuding 25c deposit. I would be very disappointed if they are allowed mislead like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

https://re-turn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Re-turn-Retailer-Toolkit-Final-10.07.2023-1.pdf

Slide 36 shows the recommended SEL for these.

Personally, I’d prefer to know what the deposit is explicitly eg €1.35 + 15c over having it included eg €1.50. It’s more transparent to me as they’re two separate things.

It's an interesting point, one I've given some thought to.

I think there is limited scope to expand re-turn without adding different RVMs (and associated space). Maybe some dairy, maybe some canned food containers, maybe some household products, not much more.

Restrictions are:

- Shape (cylindrical good, boxy no good)

- Size (diameter c. 20cm or less good, larger a problem)

- Material (PET or aluminium good, anything else no)

- Barcoded (containers good, plastic wrapping etc no good)

- DRS-able (you can only DRS the item, not associated waste)

We need better recycling from home. Better segregation, less contamination, better separation etc.

Re-turn has cherry picked the easy wins & doesn't appear interested in anything else Bottles and cans meet the above but are also good yield.

I am not sure what we do with the rest of our waste, as I have said before I don't think bypassing / de-valuing the established waste collection sector with re-turn is the best idea long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

its interesting to see what becomes of this scheme, just 2 days ahead of us!

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

I think shops should be allowed to display the price including the deposit and simply say "includes deposit of X" after it

Although I'd think most shops would prefer the official way as it makes their products seem cheaper

Wonder what the stock of cans/bottles is going to be like tomorrow

The confusion was solved in the next post on the thread hours ago. Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭n.d.os

It'll be a soft launch. I think we have until the summer to make sure it is completely up and running. My understanding of the sel is that it will be one price with the levy included. No seperation. The guys from re-turn have been good so far. Where we have struggled is internally as an independent and also gaining clarity from the BWG group.

I know Tesco have publicly said for their grocery home deliveries that they won't be operating a take-back service

Have any of the other supermarkets made similar statements can anybody confirm?

On the 6th of December Ossian Smyth claimed there was at least one supermarket who would be doing it and also that glass recycling centres would have them

Interestingly the Dunnes FAQ also states that they will accept a Dunnes RVM voucher at any Dunnes location.

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hard to see how this would work.

The vouchers you get are restricted to the shop that the machine is in, what vouchers would an RVM at a glass recycling centre give out?

Hard to see shops having their delivery drivers handle people's dirty cans and bottles too, and keep track of who gave them what.

But only at grocery checkouts. They won't let you use the voucher, your own money returned to you, in the clothes department. Not a huge deal but you'd wonder at the logic or lack of it

On the 6th of December Ossian Smyth claimed there was at least one supermarket who would be doing it and also that glass recycling centres would have them

He anecdotal heard maybe from somebody....

He was asked the question and wasn't brave enough to say no.

So he lied.

• Advertisement

If these vouchers can only be redeemed at the grocery checkout or customer service or wherever for cash, I take it they cannot be used for ones online shop?

That if true is going to annoy a lot of people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement