Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Tow

I assume there are no figures on the number of Toy Show the Musical adverts played on the wireless and TV and how much they were worth vs actually cost?

It also shows up the power of advertising on RTE. At the moment the government seem to be keeping them afloat with nonsense adverts for local councillors etc.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

This might come as a bit of a surprise but TE was actually testing ADSL broadband in 1998. It was the privatisation of TE by the wannabe masters of the universe in FF/PDs that made a complete mess of things and turned TE from a largely debt-free company into a basketcase. Ironically, one of the FF ministers wanted to sell off part of RTE around the same time (I think it may have been to do with the launch of Digital Terrestrial TV in Ireland. One of the demonstrations from RTE of a set-top box with inbuilt phoneline Internet access showed that there were some people in RTE who were thinking ahead. ISDN wasn't broadband but it was marketed heavily at the time.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Albert Reynolds kicked off the digital exchange programme in ~1979-80 but it took years.

In my area in Dublin it was 1984-85 (so into the TE era) when our neighbours finally got phone lines, some of them had been waiting ten years - for many years our house was the only one nearby with a phone, people would ring the doorbell asking to make a call and leave 20p in a little money box we kept beside the phone!

There was no capacity in the exchange so no lines could be provided.

The policy then seemed to be to only replace the oldest / most decrepit auto (mechanical) exchanges with digital, keep the rest of the mechanical auto exchanges going as long as possible, and concentrate on replacing manual exchanges with digital to save on staffing costs. So some places literally went from having phones with no dials to having the latest digital exchange, meanwhile in much of Dublin you couldn't get a line at all!

It wasn't until well into the 90s that the last of the old mechanical exchanges went.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

The PAC should oblige Forbes to undergo an independent medical assessment. Sick notes from her own GP don’t cut it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

He was very good at parroting NPHET/government propaganda during Covid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

They should be called out on this.

According to RTÉ advertising was free because it was a promo for an RTÉ product, but a few years back they were saying the opposite about the RTÉ Guide and that promos were only for TV or Radio programmes but not for ancillary services such as the Guide.

Then they advertised the Musical on RTÉ Gold, a station that runs no advertising and from what I can gather no promos for any other RTÉ services.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

On a side note, Eir have yet to upgrade my parents area in Dublin. I got them Vodafone for a year on the eir network just to reduce the price. Called sky because I though they had a deal with Virgin Media for its network, but that only covers Virgin's Fibre network and not their older cable networks, so my parents are back with Virgin Media, but at least they are only paying €43 per month.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

This Larry Bass is badly a neutral figure. He's had skin in the game a long time and it definitely benefits him for rte to keep paying for his company to churn out the dismal rubbish he has made his money on.

I see him as the equivalent of Noel thingy (can't remember his name offhand) both looking after their own interests.

Why the fup I should be lining these geezers pockets I'd like to know😕🥴

The capacity issues were solved with modernisation / digitalisation of the network under TÉ in the 80s, but the prices were nuts in the 1990s and the privatised company had a de facto monopoly on access networks, at least until cable modems became widespread in urban areas, which still left a lot of people at the mercy of a private monopoly outside of those fairly narrow cable footprints.

The current configuration of the market is far healthier, and there is strong competition, which is why we've got rapidly improving FTTH broadband and the prices are generally a lot more reasonable.

However, it's a tangent to the main thread.

My only point is that TÉ is absolutely not a good model for broadcasting infrastructure.

I'd prefer to see 2RN, the networks side of RTE, being completely removed from RTE's corporate structure, not just as a business unit. It should be a state owned enterprise / service like Gas Networks Ireland or Eirgrid.

Nearly all of Dublin city within the canals doesn't have fibre or a firm date to get it either!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

My point is that it'll still exist, not whether or not should still exist. I remember hearing about Greece's national broadcaster being taken off the air during that country's economic crisis but it'll never get that bad for RTÉ, which is engrained in Ireland's cultural identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't see why anyone would give Larry Bass the time of day when it comes to his opinion on the license fee. He's hardly an impartial observer, with his production company churning lowest common denominator dirge that doesn't fit any kind of PSB remit, yet facilitated by the fee. Say Yes to the Dress, Celebrity Home of The Year, and Dancing with the Stars, among many other productions are all we could have done without.

Someone that has suckled that successfully on the teat of the license fee needs to be upfront about how much they've made from it before they open their mouth.

I cannot see this being dealt with before the local and European elections. It's so radioactive it may not be touched before the next GE - simply left for SF to deal with.

That said, I have a feeling it will be announced post locals and before an autumn GE, for first collections in the new year. I also think they will open up access to the fund to print media too.

Reform may well turn into a disaster for independent news media, as outlets become dependent on State funding. We've seen how one local authority attempted to turn the screw on a local radio station already.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I might be somewhat cynical but I think TE would probably have had ADSL in perpetual "testing" never actually releasing the product until absolutely forced.

At one point, as you are no doubt aware, there used to be a one off charge for local phone calls. You paid the charge and then could stay on the line for a long as you liked. However as soon as people started making use of this for data and BBSs and so forth, the state run entity (I'm not sure if it was called TE at this stage) introduced a per-minute model thereby stifling the BBS scene. When the Internet came along for the public, this per-minute meant that anything like ADSL would eat into their revenue and hence would not be introduced except at extremely high prices.

At the stage of ADSL becoming common elsewhere, TE was already privatised so we will never know, but the same forces would apply and so I think we would have had much the same problems with a State body.

Linking this back to the topic, I think there is a place for a purely non-commercial body providing programming that would not otherwise exist and making it available across all platforms and channels. Split everything else off into a privatised commercial company and sell it off.

I think the problem comes when you mix commercial and public service decision making. Often the two are at odds.

A lot of the excesses exposed in RTE concern advertising sales and sponsorship and various junckets associated with these. This would not happen in a purely commercial company in a competitive market where costs need to be controlled; at least not to the same extent.

Likewise in a proposed non-commercial public service content creator entity where attracting advertising would not be a concern.

The analogy in the telecoms world would be the basic infrastructure remains held in public hands while innovation is done by competing private companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Really print media is dead, constant decline in purchases/readership - it's a fools game trying to keep on supporting it, along with a paperless society their days are numbered and then add in if you are being supported by a licence fee can you justify charging an online subscription for access (even tho online subscriptions for papers (in Ireland at least) is tiny.

And before anyone says we need freedom of press to survive - every journalistic company in Ireland and every country has their own agenda and leaning. This is what people say RTE is - free from any particular leaning, but they are far from that. Even their investigative journalism has been on the back of other researchers in the past few years - Prime Time investigates used to be a hard hitting story no one had heard of, now it's like this was in the news a year ago! I've seen better high quality investigative journalism by youtubers over the past few years uncovering stories and details that no one even knew about. I like anything to do with space exploration and there is a few channels on YT that produce excellent productions, from their research, production and finished product...then you look at RTE giving us the atrocious Climate 2050, Fair City, Room to Improve - absolute dross bottom of the barrel productions

My youtube subscriptions are fairly cultured, they would be certainly wide ranging and entertaining to most people like a PSB company should be

• Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I have a feeling it will be announced post locals and before an autumn GE, for first collections in the new year.

You're confident the new system will involve 'collections'? I wouldn't be so sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Most of the young people I know don't watch terrestrial TV anymore. RTE is for a declining audience..

I don't see the government extinguishing a €150m revenue stream either, if you think direct govt. funding is the answer.

It's not in RTEs long term interest to be directly funded either as their allocation would come under pressure when public finances are squeezed.

I see something like a media levy applied to residential electricity bills tbh. Broadband is too complex as many households have multiple internet connected devices via 4g.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

They seemed quite keen on getting it rolled out because Cablelink at the same time had demonstrated cable broadband. The BBS scene predated much of the Internet in Ireland and Barry Flanagan was starting Galway Online (which became Ireland Online) back then. There was only a few BBSes at the time and we SysOps often knew each other or at least cooperated with the FidoNet e-mail and newsgroups distribution. The mail hour (when BBSes were handling mail) was during off peak hours after midnight. The timing took advantage of the cheaper per unit rates and non-local rates. It used to be a flat rate for an "unlimited" local call but it was changed to a variable cost unit which was cheaper between 18:00 to 08:00 and also at weekends. In between this and broadband, the ISPs emerged and one of them started offering flat rate access with no subscription fee. It was a success for a while. TE's ISP launched after IOL and some of the others.. One of the "might have beens " was what would have happened if RTE managed to launch its Digital Terrestrial TV with its own built-in Internet access. Unfortunately, the roll-out of Digital Terrestrial TV never happened. Any Conditional Access system used for the subscription management would probably have been hacked. But Ireland was a very small market and most of it was concentrated in the cities and they were Cablelink networks. Sky had much of the market outside the cities.

There definitely needs to be a Public Service Broadcaster and RTE is trying to do it and commercial broadcasting at the same time. It isn't working out well. The problem for any technological solution is that most politicians are not technologists and this often goes doubly so for those dealing with communications. They sometimes rely upon the wibbling of "technology journalists" and they often have no expertise in Technology or the business of Technology. And Broadcast is one field that involves one Hell of a lot of technology of which the average "technology journalist" would be unaware. This, and the size of the market, is why broadcasting in Ireland is often very far behind the curve in some areas of development. (Ireland never had a chance to develop a TV market because of pig-ignorant gombeen politicians. The local radio industry was nearly destroyed by the licencing legislation. ) RTE's problems aren't only commercial. They are political too. It is not possible to fix one without fixing the other.Some kind of break-up with 2RN being protected is probably the only viable solution at this stage. The problem is that it might be beyond the abilities of the politicians to get it done.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

My point is should it exist.

We can look at Greece, France, Poland and Israel on their changes to Public Service Broadcasting and the public service broadcasting if we want, but none really relate to Ireland. I am not sure how well the PBSer in those countries we management prior to changes.

I find it hard to believe that a RTÉ is "engrained in Ireland's cultural Identity".

There Second TV channel was rebranded as Network 2, with little sight or sound of RTÉ on the channel from 1988 to 2004.

2FM is often known as 2FM and rarely as the full title RTÉ 2FM, why not rebrand back to RTÉ Radio 2? Same for Lyric FM, most won't say RTÉ Lyric FM surely if RTÉ is engrained Lyric should rebrand as RTÉ Radio 3. Similarly with RnaG, does anyone actually call it RTÉ RnaG?

While RTÉ's brand came into existence in 1966 have been officially known as Raidio Éireann (for both Radio and TV, though onscreen as Teilfis Éireann).

And then we have TV, in a country with a high take up of Pay TV to gain access to our neighbours Public Service Broadcasters.

I think RTÉ think they are engrained as a brand or as a cultural center point but I'd imagine they are far from it for many people.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

@Emblematic

I think the problem comes when you mix commercial and public service decision making. Often the two are at odds.

A lot of the excesses exposed in RTE concern advertising sales and sponsorship and various junckets associated with these. This would not happen in a purely commercial company in a competitive market where costs need to be controlled; at least not to the same extent.

Likewise in a proposed non-commercial public service content creator entity where attracting advertising would not be a concern.

If RTÉ were producing programming that people wanted they wouldn't have to try to sell the product to advertisers. Are we going down the road of pure PSBing? no comedy (not that RTÉ do much of that anyway), no drama, no music, no entertainment, no sport, just pure news current affairs with some children's TV thrown in?

I am not sure if €25,000 of car allowances has anything to do with the excesses in the commercial arm of RTÉ. RTÉ executives have been on the pigs back, do you think they will let go of that 25k should RTÉ be fully funded via the tax payer?

______

Yesterday

Linking this back to the topic, I think there is a place for a purely non-commercial body providing programming that would not otherwise exist and making it available across all platforms and channels. Split everything else off into a privatised commercial company and sell it off.

That means the channels delivering content will be commercial, given a choice between an hour of worthy documentary from the licence-fee funded producer, or an hour of reality TV crap, it's obvious which is in their commercial interest to broadcast.

One of the few things they got right in Greece - no evasion, one fee per household, minimal collection costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah in theory no government wants to be 'narrowing the tax base' but you have to set that €150m against the over €100 billion the government takes in in taxes every year. Even double it to cover RTE's commercial revenues and it's still peanuts. Then think of the 'political peace' You would buy IMO by moving to a direct exchequer funding system. Consider TG4: does anybody give a toss about their corporate governance, or what their 'top talent' is paid. To me exhequer funding of broadcasting is close to a no-brainer for the political classes but Micheal Martin seems to have set his heart against it for some reason. If he is determined enough he probably has enough clout to block it but not to force through his own favoured system. So we could be lloking at the can being kicked down the road again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A licence collection fee that many never pay is outdated. Should be a charge on electricity or broadband no avoidance may even be cheaper as can't avoid compliance.

While we may not care about TG4, Screen Ireland, ETC governance perhaps we should.

______

Yesterday

And about that 25K they give to each executive board member as a car allowance, needed to keep the best people?

This has nothing to do with how the licence is collect or how RTÉ is funded.

They have 400m per year from commercial and public funding.

They have completely mismanaged the place.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Broadband would be messy as multiple people \ packages in same house. I don't think that is in scope of the household benefits package also.

Electricity seems easier, also the household benefits package would provide a way to offset it, given that I assume the government won't want to risk uproar on that front.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It would be easier to take €13.33 euro a month from peoples wages or €3.08 from everyone wage.

That would raise 422m sure RTÉ need it, how else would the run their cars.

I forget about all the excellent programming the provide. Their morning shows, their comedy shows, their saturday night entertainment show, their quiz shows, their arts programming... oh wait they do none of these things.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

1. Can someone do a welfare check on Dee Forbes.
    2. Direct Gov funding will only piss off the public in future because we will have no control. At least the license fee as it exists bings attention when it’s withheld.. The over pay scandals and shenanigans that go on in the background will be hidden ala the children’s hospital over runs.
    3. Who signed the Cheques for payment for the musical? Let’s start there.

• Advertisement

And on Jim Jennings, I assume he's off the payroll at this point of his illness, how much can you stay out sick in RTÉ before claiming from the Dept of Social protection.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement