Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible Overgrown Flowerbeds, What to Do?

Options
  • 28-01-2024 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone have any tips on an easy way of getting these overgrown flowerbeds under control or at least making them look decent until I decide on a long term solution, its actually depressing me whenever I step outside my house now.

If I got some professionals to come in and just cut away all the crap back to bare earth is there some kind of seed mix or something that I could then just sow into compost to give me some kind of decent plant cover instead of the mess thats there now? Ideally it would be something good for the birds and the pollinators and native Irish.

Or same plan just order 40-50 different plants/shrubs and plant them, then I could just hoe any weeds that appear and keep the shrubs trimmed so at least its tidy going forward, anything but this horrible brush anyway. I wouldnt be the most green thumbed individual by the way in case you havent guessed...

What plants/shrubs would you suggest for this project?

Front of house is disgusting:

Rear garden not much better and my kitchen and conservatory look straight out on this mess:

The daffodil looking shoots are loads of wild garlic that grows all over this estate for some reason...

Any help appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

First: most gardens look terrible at this time of year.

Second: See 1.

Right then. You are not going to do anything magical with packets of seeds, you will need some proper clean up/weed removal/digging and improve the soil, then buy some shrubs, plants and mulch.

There are some shrubs there which could be nurtured, they are nothing special but they are growing and can be improved by a bit of pruning/mulching/feeding. Its not really the time of year to be doing that though so leave them for a couple of months. Strongly suggest you take out as much of the wild garlic as you can, digging it up is the best bet but you won't get it in one, it will be ongoing for a while. Spraying it is of limited use, I have some that I sprayed that is still sitting there, looking a bit sick but not dead.

'Professionals' will likely come in, make it look nice and take your money. By the summer you will realise that all the roots are still there growing away good-oh. The best thing would be to go at it yourself with a mattock and fork and get up the roots, add a bit more soil or compost to liven it up a bit and do some planting. If you can't do it yourself then be very specific with people you get in, tell them exactly what you want.

What are all those blue box things? Are they worth rescuing? There is other stuff that just needs gathering up and disposing of. The big rocks would be best moved, all the garlic dug out and the stones put back, they could look nice, though weeds do tend to gather around those kind of rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

You need to soecific tools. And bins to put the cuttings in.

My dad's back gardenooks $hit too if that's any consolation - snakesheads sflowerscmay be choked in it.

Will add photos later here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Wild garlic tastes great in early summer just before it flowers FYI, blend it up with olive oil and pine nuts/cashews to make pesto

As far as the garden itself goes, there's no substitute for hard graft. Get the garden gloves on and start pulling the bigger stuff out.

If you have the time, try and come up with a plan for how you want the garden to look - what flowers go where, where you want beds, where grass etc. and once it's all drawn out it makes the whole job 10x easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Wild Garlic must be the second most invasive plant after Japanese Knotweed !If you try dig it out you can go down two foot but a tiny piece the size of a pearl will have the whole bed crammed with it in another year or two.You have your work cut out there .Might be better removing large zones of the soil and plants and getting in some very big bags of topsoil .

Note however that the real expert gardeners are now being far more tolerant if not actually encouraging weeds .Having roots growing down into the soil is far better than leaving it bare

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah balls.

Might have to just bite the bullet and set aside a few days for ripping out with the gloves.

I would then like to dump some soil down and a load of shrubs though, any recommendations for that? As in where do you actually start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is it actual wild garlic or three-cornered leek, which my garden is infested with? I think either way it's a bugger to get rid off - I dug over one of my beds and removed as many of the little bulbs as i could find. It was all back the following winter.

In fairness you can seriously deplete it, we carefully removed a good bit of it that was growing between daffodils - it was a painstaking trowel and patience job, but the following year there were significantly fewer, some more were removed and progress is being made.

Those big bunches are another matter though and it will be a matter of hacking it up in lumps and dumping without trying to save the soil. Exactly how you dispose of it is another matter - if you put them in the brown bin/recycle them you may be infesting compost, is there anyone who knows anything about it? Is it treated so that the bulbs would be destroyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭standardg60

I fear you'll be wasting your time pulling the garlic as it will most likely break off at the ground and grow straight back from the bulbs, it either needs to be forked out getting all the tiny bulbs (nightmare as already said) or sprayed off with glyphosate which would probably need a few go's. There is no point in covering with soil, it will grow through it so needs to go before you consider other planting.

If you want to pull stuff start with the ivy, it's killing the hedge in the front and should be removed. There's also some spotted laurel growing in front of the house which are either seedlings or plants that were cut down to ground, they'd be perfectly fine there so i'd let them grow and just fork out the weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

That's three cornered leek. I'm probably splitting hairs but the wild garlic I eat is Ramsoms. Different kettle of fish to that one. Still spreads like billy o though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was given some wild garlic bulbs years ago which turns out were three cornered leek. i'm still dealing with it; we did get actual wild garlic since which i'm happy to let spread.

they're both edible but ramsons taste better than three cornered leek.

• Advertisement

Moving away from the garlic which Ill just have to treat as an ongoing issue and dig/spot apply roundup as it appears, is getting everything back to bare earth in March (or earlier?)and then dumping a layer of compost followed by a layer of woodchips on top the way to go?

Then just dig holes, drop in shrubs/plants and weed the crap out of it going forward? Is there a better way to do this?

Can I get some recommendations for shrubs/plants that will look good but also help native wildlife and attract pollinators to the garden please?

Sounds about right, though I would wait until the shrubs are in before you put the woodchip on. As to the plants, what you choose will depend to some extent on how much work you are prepared to put in going forward. You may find after clearing and digging it that you have taken to this gardening business and get interested in what grows.

Also the amount of sun each part of the garden gets, if there are any very shady spots you will be looking for certain shrubs and plants, likewise if there are any very sunny spots. You could draw up a bit of a plan of what is going to be shrub bed, what is grass and what is paths etc, and which way they face.

Hydrangeas are great value for looking after themselves, flowering reliably and not needing a lot of attention. There are bigger ones that will make fair sized shrubs - and create weed free areas under them, and smaller ones about 50cm to a metre high that may be more in scale with the space.

Hebes are a bit short lived and need a bit of attention so they don't go straggly, but otherwise have a great variety of leaf colour and shape and make very effective cover. For plants rather than shrubs you can't do better than Heuchera (Coral Bells) for colourful leaves that need almost no care. For butterflies buddleia is great, once it is established cut it down ruthlessly each early spring and it will reward you with fresh growth and lots of flowers. It is very easy and very forgiving.

Decide what you want then buy those plants/shrubs. Don't be tempted to go to the garden centre and buy random things because they look nice, a lot of plants need coddling and minding, or special conditions. There are lots of plants that are easy and hardy and will get you started on gardening. First though you need an idea of what your final objective is, what kind of garden do you want and how much time do you want to give it.

Ah thats brilliant Looksee thanks for taking the time typing all that out. My gardening philosophy is not offensive to look at, good for the birds and pollinators and absolute bare minimum workload.

Post edited by Thargor on

Anything to stop me ripping stuff out now and getting started preparing the soil btw?

Only your energy levels, best time really. Though if the soil is really soggy it might compress a bit, I doubt it would be a big problem.

Advertisement