Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's not a court of law Francis. 😁

The porch comes out from the main wall at 90 degrees,(blue line) but the roofline doesn't seem to, (red line) indicating a slope.

Secondly, if you drop a line from the front point of the wall (green) and the back(yellow)

they are different lengths, indicating a slope.

As I say, there may be distortion but that is how it looks to me. If the line was straight it would be parallel to the porch line.

Re: Window, as stated by industry pro's here, changes like that can be made and retentions sought. Works much better for me as a rectangle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The relationship was broken, apparently...

Then we see how pleased the couple are with Dermot and their new house.

Not everything is a Soap Opera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

That in fairness, is ugly.

If they got planning for that, I would be amazed.

They did.

Planning comments are posted above and from that angle I agree with them.

I think when planting and newness wears off that is not as bad as it first looked and I have to say the laths are growing on me bigtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I would bet the green and the yellow are equal distance, because that is how perspective works.

https://www.johnlovett.com/perspective-drawing

In any case, it is different to the drawing submitted for planning permission, which someone else posted yesterday evening.

So Dermot Bannon did not comply with planning permission for the front extension? I suppose he can apply for retention planning permission, says you.

The TV company was quite clever to wait until frost /snow to photo it, so it blends in to the ground and wall in the foreground more. And do not forget, from the front, you do not see the red-brick on the side of the extension, or the front door. See the initial bit of video on Room to Improve showing the outside. Vile as other poster on this thread called it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

I loved the idea of the bike shed/storage at the front with the hidden door.

Very impressed with the builder.

Post edited by hole in my lovelywall on

The TV company was quite clever to wait until snow to photo it, so it blends in to the ground and wall in the foreground more.

Jaysus Francis, that is just bizarre.

What a fabulous conspiracy theorist you are, 😁😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Almost as bizarre as thinking the front wall of the extension is sloping.

The pitched roof of the extension is stepped back and a parapet gutter hides the roof from the ground.

Here you are;

Edit;

Just looked again, it seems you think it's the roof that's sloping, still bizarre!

Post edited by chooseusername on

Not a conspiracy theorist. Just noting that you are looking at a photo taken by the TV company in the best possible conditions (snow/frost) from the best possible angle. So you think the front extension is OK.

About a dozen other posters on this thread before you, who saw the footage on the TV on Sunday night, took time out to saty that front extension is "Vile", that if they were a neighbour they would be "bulling" at how it turned out etc.

The photo shows the roof and window are a lot different to what Bannon submitted planning permission for, so do you think Bannon will have to apply for retention planning permission yet again? What if he is refused, like some people are?

Click on that link above, this is what the front extension should have looked like. Note the very different window shape and roof shape?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

Brannon has a direct line to 'de powers that be', so it will not be an issue.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

There's a shot that hints at the roof detail. Not flat, but not identical to the original plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

The plans show the 'Box' going up the gutter, not 5 rows of tiles higher. I'll say nothing about the window difference.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

And you implied they took it to fool people. Bizarre.

I couldn't care less what 'other posters say' I make my own mind up and am not led by others.

We have been told by industry professional that 'retention' is commonly used when changes are needed in an ongoing build. If Bannon did this then he did nothing wrong.

What the hell does it matter to me or even you if he applies for retention or not? If somebody objects, let them.

I would say that's a bigger issue than the window, it makes the front of the house look completely different.

It looks like the plan had a gutter in line with, and matching the original house, and it would have looked worse if the parapet was built on the side only to avoid the overhang at the boundary. I don't understand why that parapet has to be so high.

Agree. If you compare the photo / drawing in post number 2929 and 2930 above, you will see that what was built is considerably uglier and different to what planning permission was granted for. The white rectangle (above the wood) is much much larger / higher.

The window is also considerably different. Why did he change that compared to what planning was granted for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

Why do you care that what was built isnt the same as the planning permission? Will you go on this crusade on every single house in the country thats in the same boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

They didn't show the last 7 weeks of the build. The body language initially as they toured the house seemed very bad. That's when I first posted. When they appeared more friendly I put an update on my post.

A day later you come in and make a snarky comment as usual about the first half of my post completely ignoring my addition where I admitted it was better.

I'm not engaging with you any more. Go look for your argument fix somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

Totally disagree to the comment on spending too much money, if you have the money and the house is in a perfect location then why not. You get the house u want. Everyone has different budgets and value systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Two possible spinoff shows for the producers to consider:

1. RTI - the detail

2. RTI - Francie and Francis go at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

Curious why they only ended up with a b3 ber rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭lmk123

Number 2 has been ongoing for weeks at this stage, painful s***e, my god they’ve a lot of time put into repeating the same rubbish to each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭lmk123

Ya I think the same, it’s hardly possible that 2 people would have that much time on their hands or that little else going on in their lives, if you heard teenagers at that rubbish you’d give them a kick up the a**e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

thats the part that i dont understand. 600K+ and its only b3 . surely upping that as high as posible would have made financial sense. they dont seem short of money . another 30k maybe could have got a2 .

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Niall_76

For whatever the reasons it was a real pain. Builder looking for decisions cause of the tight build and it was almost like the camera panned up from him to the finished house..

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭rowantree18

I personally don't get it. I know the area well, absolutely nothing wrong with it but it's full on suburbia - thousands of replica houses in estates like Shanard, Shanowen, melting into Lorcan and Shantalla. They basically all merge. There's a row of shops here and there (chipper, newsagents) but nothing aesthetically pleasing anywhere. No village atmosphere. Just house upon house.

Like, I suspect, most people, I'd use the million or so to buy a nice house in Malahide, Howth, Sutton, Greystones, Dalkey etc. and start fresh. But - each to their own. Her money, her call. I'm in medicine myself, she'd be known as brilliant but slightly......tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭thereiver

She's on a high wage she can afford to spend 400,k plus to upgrade the house to a larger dwelling I think she wants to stay close to her family I agree she could spend the money to buy a house in a more upmarket area

I presume she also wants to be close to the hospital she works in eg not increase commuting time also I presume the new build will be more energy efficient

Still it's a nice quiet area to live in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

This house was recently sold around the corner. Internally it was also very dated.

To sell the old house, buy this one and redevelop it, would have yielded a vastly superior home in the same area.

I think they said the kid was 8, in a few years his days of playing on the green will have passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Was that said in the programme? If they got 26k of SEAI grants, as was indicated, they would have needed a minimum B2.

Advertisement