Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Calvin Ramsay has gone on loan to Bolton

Owen Beck has gone back to Dundee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,170 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd say that new training ground is helping things regarding the seamless integration of the academy players into the first team.

Having them just drop into training at the drop of a hat and not have to go arranging it for a week in advance and different transport etc makes it easier to transition and not be star struck. The young lads are seeing Mo Salah every day, not just once and getting nervous! They also see the training levels required to be a PL level player every day so it becomes the norm, and are not hit with a bigger gulf when they make the step up.

Ian Graham, the ex Liverpool director of research and big factor behind Liverpool's recent successes, is now a shareholder of Bolton.

It's something worth keeping an eye on, and possible future link ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Did you ever see the video when Ian Wright meets his old school teacher that he thought was dead. This school teacher took an interest in Wrighty as a child and Wrighty credits him as basically being the only adult who cared about him as a child. It's very touching. Love Wrighty. My younger brother is an Arsenal fan tho so I'm quite familiar with him through him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭Talisman

Hopefully Ramsay will get a run of games for Bolton, he has been very unlucky with injuries and has played less than 300 minutes of competitive football since joining Liverpool. He is more than capable of being a standout player at League One level and the pressure of playing for a team that expect to win promotion would be a great experience for him. He'll need to be prepared to fight for a place in the line-up because Bolton are already well stocked in the full back positions. Owen Beck was a mouse when he went on loan to Bolton last season and failed to grasp the opportunity, Ramsay shouldn't make the same mistake.

I'm glad Beck has returned to Dundee, keeping him at Liverpool would have been a shame if he was only going to see bench time. He was impressive in the Scottish league for the earlier part of the season and he should be invigorated for the second half of the season after his holiday in Liverpool. At least he'll be able to claim that he played for Klopp's Liverpool having gotten a handful of minutes against Bournemouth last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Forgot we're playing Chelsea tomorrow, and then Arsenal on Sunday. Big week for the title run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Coote on VAR for Arsenal this weekend. I wonder will he miss any handballs this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭steve_r

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be an advocate for 'evening it up' but will he even it up and give Liverpool a soft decision to make up for it?

There's been a few referees/VARs this season who have made one big decision one week, received a lot of criticism in the aftermath and then have given a different decision for the same incident a couple weeks later. Almost like they have realised their mistake and have changed their mindset on the outcome of the decision.

Although knowing Coote, he'll give Arsenal a handball penalty this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Have to say as a huge Beatles fan and a Liverpool fan... it's woeful - not a fan of it at all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Big fan of Squires but felt a bit let down by his guardian cartoon today on Klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

An odd choice for sure. Not as witty as his usuals either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It's just a bit one note "remember these times Klopp got angry???"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No Salah this week according to Klopp, so probably 17th vs Brentford till hes back, hardly needed against Burnley at home

Thiago trained!

But needs time...

Exactly, trophies, big wins, etc.

Just seems a bit grudge-y.

I don't want to be too much of a hypocrite because I constantly crack up at Squires' work, and I know Klopp hasn't died or anything, but I thought it might be a bit more balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement

That's a weird one. Ian Graham and Michael Edwards run a performance analysis company, Ludonautics, which does consultancy for sporting organizations. Edwards has repeatedly made clear that he doesn't want to return to the realm of operations at a football club. He has turned down the likes of Real Madrid, PSG, Newcastle, Chelsea and Man Utd since leaving Liverpool. The club offering him a more senior position makes no sense unless they possibly believed that he left due to the reported friction between the analytics team and Klopp / Lijnders when it came to recruitment.

If there was an approach to Edwards then the result of the recruitment process is likely to be underwhelming. Jorg Schmadtke has left the club so there's nobody in place to oversee player recruitment for the summer.

One of the papers, can't remember which one, had a story over the weekend saying Klopp going could open the door to Edwards returning but it was a pure fluff piece, even said that he'd repeatedly said he didn't want to return to football. Wouldn't surprise me if Romano is basically regurgitating that, as much as he does get legit info sometimes, he's not immune to baseless fluff himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

But did Liverpool approach him. Romano is a known spoofer. My best belief is that is a load of rubbish and he made it up for the clicks

Ornstein is saying he was asked as well. Honestly I don't think he's going to work solely for any club anymore. He's turned down loads and went and set up his own consultancy business instead.

Where is Edwards now?

I'm depressed enough with all the rejection wrt the vacant national team job, if we aren't an attractive proposition now when will we ever be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Runs a data company. Basically doing what he did at Liverpool, but for himself and sells it to other clubs.

He was hiring data people last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

United V Liverpool Under 18s on at the moment ( respective team channels )

Almost 30 minutes gone... Kone-Doherty ( the lad you got from Derry) with your goal.

Thought I'd mention it in case anyone is bored!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I wonder will Guardiola consider going back to Barca. He has achieved the holy grail of winning the Champions league for City last season and has a good chance this season, plus with Klopp going and the charges hanging over City, he might want a new challenge. I've always felt he'll end up going back to Barca at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Edwards was at Liverpool for 11 years lads, that's long enough for anyone in 1 place, not sure why FSG think they could get him back. Of course Edwards rejecting will be a stick to beat FSG with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'd be very surprised if he went back to that broke basket case club. Their debt is massive, spain has really strict ffp it seems and Xavi got the head wrecking treatment that pep got over a decade ago. Oh and his backroom team are still at City.

I'd be very surprised if he went back there in the next 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Why get depressed, enough people have turned Liverpool down and it has been to the clubs benefit, leave em off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Would it not be very strange if FSG didn't contact Edwards to suss him out? A very capable potential candidate if he was interested, it's not like he was offered the job as I read it and then turned it down.

Kinda bad for of him to leak it, might be a bullet dodged. I wouldn't be getting too excited about it, a real non story - this job won't suit everyone so a non story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Some strange..Tony Hart sh1t going on here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not a good night for De Zerbi if he wants his name in the hat for the Liverpool gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭brevity

Some links with the West Ham DOF. Looks interesting.

You just know the Saudi's will offer Klopp 100m a season to go there. You just know he'll say no 🤣

Benítez, now Celta Vigo boss, is still closely linked to Liverpool, having served as manager between 2004 and 2010, during which time he also claimed a CL title. The Spaniard’s connections have enabled him to lift the lid somewhat on Klopp’s impending exit.

“I have an advantage, which is that I have people in Liverpool and also people at the club, so more or less, I know how it has happened, I only have positive words about Klopp, because he is my friend and I have a good relationship with him.

“He has done and is doing an enormous job. Everything I can say about Klopp and Liverpool is positive.

“I know something else from inside, and it has more merit than being there. He goes and speaks up, giving the club time to re-organize, which, from another perspective, is also very German, because they do notify in advance, so it is not a shock.

“Let’s hope Liverpool will do well for now and when another coach comes too. I hope the best for the club.”

“I know something else from inside, and it has more merit than being there.''

What does that mean.

Still is by the looks of things. I'm in a similar line of work myself. About 10 years ago I was in contention for a data analysis role at QPR but ultimately lost out on the position, I suspect because I would have had to move country to take the position. Might have to dust off the CV!

• Advertisement

An unsurprising link given the Alonso connection, could be a contender, seems to have been behind some notable signings at Werder Bremen & Leverkusen

Virg confirming his comments yesterday were taken out of context.

Shock,horror. A players comments taken out of context to create a headline. There will be plenty of that over the next few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭Damien360

You peaked my interest. How does that role work ? What do you research and find ? Particularly since that was in it's infancy in football 10 years ago. NFL had it many moons ago.

The QPR one? It was performance and recruitment analysis for the academy team.

As you said, it was quite early at the time, which suited me as I didn't have any real predictive analysis experience at the time and luckily it wasn't a real requirement of the role. They were looking at more reactive type stuff, specifically Qlikview which I was experienced with at the time, when many were still using Excel, which I assume helped me stand out. When they caught up with the data analysis stuff, Chelsea went big with Qlikview too around the time Lampard was there as manager originally.

So they would have been tracking and trending lots of training data, but also some in game stuff too like passes, carries etc. Pretty basic stats metrics given the time and the level it was at too. It would be much more advanced now. They really just wanted to get their platform created, which I would have been solid at, with view to expand it once the predictive modelling analysis camd on board, which would really help them in the academy and how they viewed the kids coming through and whether they were progressing physically with their sprint speeds, recovery runs and things like that as they grew and what their capabilities would be. It was still very much a 'eye test' time with academies and how they operated but they wanted to get into the data world to help make decisions too.

I ended up going down a different path in the end but always wondered what could have been!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He's not long at West Ham. Would probably cost a good bit in compensation but if they think he's the right man then you do it.

I don't think there's any real reliable link just an article by Ian Doyle in the echo going through names Liverpool may be interested in & jumped on by all the Twitter itks, he mentions,

Richard Hughes - Bournemouth

Tiago Pinto - Roma

Tim Steidten - West Ham

Michael Edwards

Paul Mitchell

Sven Mislintat

• Advertisement

Advertisement