Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nah and no you don't have access to the vetting process,they are actually supposed to verify who you are and your actual medical qualifications,

Like hello

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

You're wrong. Garda vetting simply checks what criminal convictions a person has, that's it. Why the hell do you think garda check people's educational qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Garda vetting is for previous criminal convictions (which will show up on the Pulse system, including for non nationals).

People falsifying their educational qualifications or CV is a different subject and not really relevant to a discussion on refugees or immigrants. Literally any person in the country could have a go at trying to get hired to a position without any relevant qualifications or with a false identity and bogus documents.

Did anyone say that the Garda check your educational qualification.....

Ehhhhhh

No

In news the government is looking to charter flights for mass Deportations , don't get any hopes up over the word mass ,they will fly violent deportees on separate smaller flights which may include using the next Government lear jet the government hasn't bought yet ,

Suggestion instead of the a government jet you use a stripped out cargo aircraft with basic seats,if someone is violent they should be restrained using all available techniques to guarantee the safety of the crew and guards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Well, a Danish study (again) shows how diversity is not a strength and that there's no evidence of "continued immigration and corresponding growing ethnic diversity” having a positive impact on community cohesion.

Out of a review of 87 studies on the relationship between ethnic diversity & social trust, found a statistically significant negative relationship between ethnic diversity and social trust across each of the 87 studies. They're each saying the same thing. Imagine that. A few quotes .....

• Higher diversity *is* significantly associated with lower trust in communities, even when controlling for deprivation.” Eric Kaufmann, Professor of Politics at the Birkbeck University of London
    • “New evidence from the US suggests that in ethnically diverse neighbourhoods residents of all races tend to ‘hunker down’. Trust (even of one’s own race) is lower, altruism and community cooperation rarer, friends fewer.” Robert Putnam landmark study, ‘E Pluribus Unum: Diversity and Community in the Twenty-first Century’
    • “The findings showed that the more people consider themselves to adhere to the values of globalization, consumerism, and individualism, and the more they regard themselves as ‘citizens of the world’ exposed to globalization, the less likely they are to contribute to public goods and the more likely they are to seek to be ‘free riders’ on the contributions of others.” Dr Eitan Adres from the School of Political Sciences at the University of Haifa, Israel
    • “The model shows that when people form relationships with similar and nearby others, the contexts that offer opportunities to develop a respect for diversity are different from the contexts that foster a sense of community.” The (In)compatibility of Diversity & Sense of Community by Zachary P. Neal & Jennifer Watling Neal

Irish Government*: Let's try diversity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

New employees what about those already employed nothing in that on the extent of vetting for non EU . Does it extend outside the EU ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

All foreign doctors and nurses have fabricated their histories? Sounds like bullshít.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You are talking crap. Garda vetting is done to investigate criminal records. That's it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You did.

they are actually supposed to verify who you are and your actual medical qualifications,

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

I process Garda Vetting every day and am vetted myself. It asks zero questions about your qualifications. GVLO would not have the resources to check education records.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Just Google "Doctors with no qualifications Ireland "

Please get back to me with results.

Explain what is bullshit then.

Grand so. Sack 50% of the health service workers cause of 3 or 4 people. Send them all home. We don't need them. 👍

Terry Pratchet

So because some foreigners have forged their qualifications means all foreigners have? Are you proposing all foreigners should be banned from working in the hse?

No. Sit back and take a deep breath. I'm stating quite a few have. So perhaps the screening into past employment isn't working, perhaps it's not being done right. So can you really shout Bull ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is the other thing about Ireland - we are incapable of learning from the mistakes of others. More than that, we always have to add an "Irish twist" that makes the outcome even worse.

Take this situation... Like everywhere else we bring in Ukrainian refugees (no issue with that in principle), except that rather than learning from the other nations who set limits on entitlements and thus strain on their economy and infrastructure by controlling the intake/attractiveness of their offering, we announce that we'll accept as many as arrive and will offer them a benefits package designed to draw them like a magnet (in the middle of a cost of living and housing crisis no less).

Then, when the problems that were obvious emerge (not enough room at the inn and bills running into billions) what do we do? We start grabbing anything with a roof or even just fields to put these people in.

If it wasn't for the fact that we have elections this year and the party bosses are worried about the effect of the growing discontent among the peasants (eh, I mean electorate) will have on their chances then you can be guaranteed that things would have continued as is regardless of the effects on said people and our communities.

Instead we get ideologically driven politicians sent out to make noises about changing the criteria (and even then only for new arrivals) and other measures to get control of the situation - a situation they themselves caused and actively made worse at every opportunity over the last 2 years!

Will the electorate fall for it? That remains to be seen but I think there's such a broad sense of frustration and anger out there about it all (not seen since the Irish Water farce) that just maybe they will be held accountable this time.

So it's only 3 or 4. Is this correct.

Anyword from Leo yet.

Do that with any country and you’ll find stories. What’s your big plan to stop this?

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

OK. Easily solved with a few extra HR admin in HSE. Problem solved. You don't have to deport 50% of the countries health service. 👍

Terry Pratchet

You did buddy. It’s there in black and white.

So should this of not been put inplace first, like alot of things that are not addressed properly when it comes to immigration and immigration controls.

It's a minor issue that can be easily resolved. If it bothers you that much write to your local TDs with the suggestion I gave you.

Terry Pratchet

Could start with a serious and proper screening process probably. Seeing as it's people's lives we're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Its funny how whenever they want to bring in extra taxes such as water charges, property tax, sugar tax, this new Re-turn scheme, carbon taxes etc they are at pains to say how they have done detailed studies on how these things are standard in other countries but never for the things other countries do better for their population that might ,shock horror, actually cost some money such as proper public transport, well surfaced roads, state funded childcare, free healthcare, slashing duties on fuels during the peak of the cost inflation, removing VAT from construction costs, etc etc etc 🙄

Its really riled me up how they were able to bypass all planning regulations and find extra billions at the drop of a hat to house refugees but could never even dream of doing something similar for their own 😑

Yeah a minor issue. I'm sure that's very comforting line to the families who lost their loved ones because of the failing of the government.

So how many deaths is acceptable to you Anna.seeing its only a minor issue.

Feel free to do something constructive about it as per my suggestion 👍

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Advertisement