Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenet being rereleased 23/02/24

Options
  • 26-01-2024 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭

I see Tenet is being rereleased in Feb for a week. I wonder will they remix the audio. Again, just trailers and trailers can be deceptive but compare the rerelease trailer below:

With the original trailer

I did see this originally in the cinema and did have problems with the dialogue. Mainly because the music was just so loud. I know Nolan's dialogue preferences has been done to death but it would be interesting to see if anything has been taken onboard. In the cinema the music was deafening. This was not me getting old (Although I sure am :) ) as I generally have no problem with loud films. (The only other time I found issues with audio/music mix was Across The Spiderverse which has also been done to death). But there were times where you were thinking "Jesus, this is louder than the IMAX demo"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I watched this recently on Netflix and found it more annoying than entertaining.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I enjoyed the movie when I first watched it, and I might have been at an advantage as everyone had an early night at home so I watched it with headphones so never knew people had audio issues until I read about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I found it tedious. The only film where I can remember constantly checking my watch. A shame because you can clearly see a lot of effort went into it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There were a couple of great-looking set pieces in it, and a lot of thought went into some of the ideas, but for me it never actually came together as a story, and was compounded by Debicki's character feeling under-written, and the soundmix getting in its own way far too much. Can't help feel this is an attempt to ride the coattails of Dune 2 to help get the film closer to the black.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Or Oppenheimer.

I agree, there were some cool setpieces but it just didn't fit. For the life of me I can't remember the reasoning for that battle scene at the end and you know you are a bit bored when you start thinking "wow, everyone is taller than him"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have thought about watching it again since I saw it in the cinema but have never been in the right headspace. I don't know what good a re-release is going to if they haven't tidied it up.

I remember it being long and complicated. It looked good and the visceral sound was impressive but it needed to be trimmed and made easier to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is there a reason for the rerelease? Came out in 2020 so not a big anniversary.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The excuse appears to be that this time it's getting an IMAX push, but I imagine that a desire to generate "new" money from a property whose losses have presumably already been written down, but whose director is linked to an Oscar contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's not a good film.

Re-releasing ain't gonna fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I guess a lot of people probably skipped it in cinema, since it was right at the height of covid pre-vaccine, so I get it to an extent. What value it has as a movie is on the big screen. Just a shame it's not better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Management (wife) decided I was not allowed see this on the imax. Apparently I would have died from covid. Anyway I look forward to seeing what I regard as an excellent movie on a big screen. Its a sh1t tonne better than Oppenheinmer which goes all 2000ad a space odesy Stan k at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

What's the logic behind the rerelease? Not like it was a box office smash on release though it seriously could do with an audio remaster, it was painful in the cinema struggling to hear what was being said half the time in some scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,574 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Have they re-edited the film to make it at least comprehensible? I found it tedious first time around, a film that seem to try too hard to be too smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Romero

Saw it in the Cinema during Covid great to have almost an empty cinema to myself to watch it. Might actually go again if some cinemas decide to show it on one of their Main screens

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Already lost enough time to that terrible movie.

Rerelease? Is that a thing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Feels all a bit like the Nice and Lisbon Treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cagefactor

I watched on subtitles because i heard of all the issues with the sound.

However, the final battle sequence - the red v blue teams made zero sense. Ok rest of movie makes no sense but at least can semi follow along until get to the last part. You never really even see in the end sequences who the enemy they are fighting is, there's explosions going off left and right but seemingly coming from thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I got lost after the car chase, I got the concept of what was going on but I couldn’t arrange it in my head. There are a couple good videos online that give a good overview. Basically the film itself is a temporal pincer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kinda feels like he tried really hard to do something with time travel that wasn't a temporal loop/paradox. And just came with a head melt recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

My understanding is it's not traditional time travel, but more travelling through time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Might end up making the effort to see it on the big screen. Visually it's impressive if less so on the plot side.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It’s less of an instant fiery wheelspin back to 1985. And casual jog back a few weeks.

But the temporal paradox element is still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

Im the same, saw during Covid and I feel it wasnt given a fair shake so a re-release is fine by me, I'll go see it again. The story Chris nolan tells about an instructor in an online pelethon class he was taking part in, slating the movie, is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Will it still be about 2 hours too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Wheres it going to be shown here? odean doesn't list it but it it does list Intersteller but its not clear where or when it will be shown https://www.odeoncinemas.ie/films/interstellar-imax/HO00000804/

Advertisement