Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

I recently bought an EV for the first time. Literally every non EV owner I meet is asking me what it's like in the cold, is expecting me to respond with a horror story. When I don't they follow up with the Tesla charger nees in Chicago and/or the Adrian Weckler id3 news in the independent. These stories are wide reaching and surly must be effecting transition a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Yes, we don't really have winter in this country compared to Chigago so it's a moot point. Stormy weather does affect the range here more than on average markets though I'd guess: The wind direction has quite a big effect on attainable range of low range EVs like the old leaf we have. But on the flipside that car is perfect for Irish winter: Remote preheat for the frosty mornings, heated seats and steering wheel, efficient and quick heat pump heating. So it's a great winter car when you drive localish and can charge at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Fools and sheep will always be fools and sheep. I was asked regularly asked what the Leaf was like in cold weather. Some were genuinely asking out of curiosity, but others were expecting a different answer to what I gave, which was along the line of...The range gets knocked from 130-100, but it's otherwise great to drive and is always warm before I step into it (explaining pre-heating and the APP).

I commute 70km round trip to work daily in a Model 3 now. Some of my colleagues though I had to charge at home and then at work to get home 🤣

When I tell them I don't have access to the work chargers and I only charge twice a week they find it hard to believe. Telling them it only costs me 15-20 quid a week at most for fuel has them in a state of disbelief. The vast majority of non EV owners haven't a clue about EV capability, running costs and reliability.

There are some real bargains out there for used EVs in the lower price range...mostly Leafs that have a very low cost of ownership relative to a similar ICE which cost less to buy.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

While this is true, it's also true that the Leafs poor range, especially the badly degraded battery versions has fueled distrust of EVs in general amongst many.

A lad I know decided not to go with an EV this year mainly because he has been listening to my stories of 80km range in an L30 in cold wet weather. Even though I have patiently explained that this really only applies to older Leafs, he decided he wouldn't take the risk and went for a phev instead. If I was braver I'd probably call him a fool and a sheeple to his face🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Audi eTron was put up on donedeal/carzone and sold within 24 hours, 35k car. Cars are selling and lots of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Vector out up a 21 Model 3 Performance over the weekend just gone. It’s now sold. Big demand for decent cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

for a 1 year old EV with say 25000 kms on it, what do people think the discount off the new price should be? 10%? 20%?

I'm tossing up between a 241 v 231 and would welcome people's thoughts on what would be a good deal/bargain discount wise on a 231 with mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

15-20% off todays new price, with the bottom of that range being poor value, and upper and exceeding that being good value imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I agree with @MrMusician18 as a ballpark. But it depends on the car. In the case of a Tesla Model 3, there is a new, more efficient, better built, higher range, better spec car out now for €42k on the road. That makes a 231 car (the old model) worth not much more than €32k in my book, so that's 25% less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Thanks, no the car is like for like. Same version, no new version coming, identical spec etc.

Don't be coy. What car is it and what money are they looking for? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

i know it's personal choice but why but 241 and after just one year have about €5-10k down the drain?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

That might be true in your instance, but those fools and sheep are seeing and hearing of the depreciation and trade in prices for EVs too, and it’s easy to draw a line between saving maybe €1000 pa in fuel but lose it all and more in depreciation (potentially).

those same fools and sheep see us all here talking about “why would you buy that when the new version of the same car has so many software and hardware improvements (ID4, M3 etc etc)

many EV buyers I know personally who always changed their cars have suddenly started saying “sure it’s a great car, I’ll just hold on to it”

(ref: only 45 Tesla model 3’s for sale even though 3,000 were registered here since Oct 2019.)

Once you see the trade-in price, realise neither Tesla nor almost any other dealer really wants your car, and you’ll have to sell privately - and suddenly you see that those same fools and sheep don’t want the hassle and simply stay away

Wouldn’t blame them keeping the cars. Not a lot to beat it without spending 5 figures.

Tons of 520d’s for sale which might suggest people are dumping them as quick as possible.

Remember there were no PCP deals on Tesla Model 3 back then, so there is less of the full enslavement - change car every 3 years - cycle going on with them as with most other cars. That's the biggest reason people have to change after 3 years, gone. Vast majority of new cars in Ireland are financed.

There's also pretty much nothing out there that beats a Tesla Model 3 in its class for similar money. Except the new model. And if it was me, I wouldn't have any appetite in forking out €10k or more to go up to the new one from my just 1 year old car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Yeh, I think people were used to cheaper new cars, or 0% interest rates, and recent drops in prices, coupled with improvements in range and availability, means EV buyers probably overspent a bit, so for sure the smarter choice now would be to just keep the car if it’s going well, and has so few consumables.

I’ve told this tale a few times, but my sister has a 212 m3 LR, (it stands her about €70k incl the 4.9% apr) and isn’t even entertaining a change this July, indeed she laughed at the thought - but she’s firmly in the camp of feeling very much musked, and only went EV as she does higher mileage and at the time the m3 LR was literally the only car that would suffice. She’s probably a worst case scenario in fairness.

€70k for a non performance Model 3? That's insane. Where were you when she was deciding that was a good buy?

Prices are coming down and some models are 0% finance right now. There's always going to be something newer and better after you buy the newest car, pretty soon it's not the latest version/tech. People belly aching over their cars losing thousands over night is stupid. Your sister is a good example of this. The car doesn't stand her anything. She willing agreed to finance a car for about €70k. It's now 2.5 years old, so traditionally that's circa 40% depreciation (half in 3 years). That should leave her car at €36k under normal mileage and condition.

Here's a 2021 M3 LR for a shade under €37k at a dealer, but with higher than average mileage.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-3-long-range-awd/35743237

A brand new M3 LR Highland would set her back €51k, or a difference of €14k which doesn't seem too bad at all. What matters is the cost to change, not the price paid 2.5 years ago. Similar drops have been seen across the board since Tesla dropped their prices. I got my M3 RWD in 222. Would I have like to get it for 10k less? Absolutely. I'd also liked to have purchased Amazon shares back when they were a couple of dollars each.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lots raving about the improvements in the Highland model but is there really? same battery, same drivetrain, the efficiency gain is down to a new shallow portion of the bonnet so yet to be proven, yes some nice creature comforts but the removal of stalks and reliance on TV is off-putting to put it mildly. Best M3 out there is the last of the RWD radar bunch in 2022.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree on the above. I have a 222 rwd M3 with radar parking sensors but no TACC radar. The 3 is frankly too small a car for our needs and was only meant as a stopgap. However there's no reason to upgrade to a highland as the car itself is the same underneath, minus the stalks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I will probably draw the ire of Tesla fans but I think there is a bit of a cult following of them meaning everyone needs to be first to have the latest, very like the iphone, pioneers of the industry in may ways, charismatic CEO (like him or hate him), Californian, different chargers just to be different from everyone else, very prone to fanboyism (not a dig at anyone in particular)

They are good electric car makers, of that there is no doubt, but they are even better marketers like a lot of things American/Californian and their followers market for them too.

I'm sure there is a cultish following from some, but this applies to other car brands too. BMW fanbois for example who insist it's a premium brand, whereas the only premium thing is the price and you get no lube for the shafting of extras and rent-a-heated-seat options.

The lack of used Teslas for sale tells a different story to that of the iPhone comparison and the need to have the latest tech etc. Owners for the most part seem happy enough to keep their cars for more than 3 years rather than upgrade to the latest model.

Tesla traditionally don't advertise and sales are via referral or word of mouth. Maybe that's changed in recent times, but I haven't seen any Tesla ads in the media, or online. If that means they are better marketers, then OK.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Do you have any EV bargains to post about? If not, can you take your off topic shìte talk to the appropriate thread and stop derailing this one with your incessant whining about the value of EVs. It's exhausting with you saying the same thing over and over and over. This is not the thread for it. Some of us like to post and talk about what might be a good buy. You're destroying any joy from the thread people might get.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gn3dr

KIA Soul 6.7K Kia soul Ev Electric for sale in Co. Cork for €6,700 on DoneDeal

Not sure if a bargain or not but at least it's a post about an actual car for sale 😁

Are you not doing the same thing here too?

Report the post instead of back seat modding

You could replace Tesla with BMW or VW and it may still ring true.

On the different chargers though….The use CCS, same as every other EV. In America they use the NACS which most others are also signed up to.

Been for sale a while, price just dropped. Another one with a similar price sold fairly quickly last week. These are not the best battery wise, see my comments on them a few days ago in this thread. Would I buy one? I sure would, if cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭User1998

A friend of mine is selling a 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+ for €25k if anyone here is interested. PM for info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Advertisement