Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Good question, were Roches stores even around when the euro came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'd imagine Punts,

I know Roches was still there in 98 as I worked there, but it was Debenhams in 2002 as my friend worked there. Not sure when the takeover actually happened. The euro came in around 2000/2001?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

@Loughc speaking my language here. I'm such a better person when I'm away from work. It stresses me out to the point of not living and not enjoying the precious moments. I have had jobs before though where I was content. Those jobs are out there. I went for one promotion too many in order to afford a house, that was my mistake.

Having tried very hard to win the lotto last year (even looking up the odds on games, honestly don't bother, it's pure chance), I think I'm going to have to back up @miamee advice on this and say a job search is the easier one to control! You have to be rational too though and not just apply for anything. Or if you can set a target e.g. by 2026 I should have such and such paid so can seek a different job etc. When you have an end date or target it might be easier to have a different attitude.

I wish you the best on the return to work and I do believe things will work out. A bit of planning and optimism and playing the long game if you have to and you'll get to that place of being content and peaceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Oh and I reckon Debenham opened in 2002

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thanks @A cup of te and @miamee to be fair I do enjoy the job I have and similar to you @A cup of te a couple of promotions brings extra stress.

To be fair I'm content in my job, and more often than not it's not the job that's causing the stress it's just the daily grind and pressure of a structured fit everything around the 9-5, that comes with any job. Being off just allows you the freedom to do things at your own leisure and the only thing that offers that is the lotto not a new job haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Roches sold to Debenhams in 2006.

Debenhams had already entered Ireland by then and had a few stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I won a Standard Medium Hot Chocolate from Costa from Vodafone before Christmas and never got to use the voucher. It expires this Weds (Jan 31st) and there's no Costa near me, so I won't get to use it. I can PM a screenshot of the voucher code to someone on here if they would like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Work stress has become such a large part of my life that I've actively started my retirement plan & if all goes as planned I'll be retiring in 8 years. I genuinely believe that if I carry on taking on what I do though I wont live to see that day so need to start finding a better way to de-stress or better still reduce it altogether.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Yeah a quick google , Roches "revamped" I remember some of my former colleagues taking very nice redundancy packages, which would make sense as the supermarket was replaced by Zara in 2003.

So obviously the revamped Roches my friend worked in, I would have lost money on that as I'd have sworn it was Debenhams she worked in. It was only a filler job between college and graduation for her.

But anyways the tree is the only tree himself ever remembers in the house so I'd still say definitely punts.

Jeez lads it's been grim out there all morning, the day has been so gloomy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Sure is...although it seems to have finally stopped raining here. Still very grey though...Spring feels quite far away

Think its too clear up this evening & be dry overnight & tomorrow. As ever, that's liable to change!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Tis very grey alright. No lunchtime walk for me, which doesn't help lift the mood. Hopefully I'll get out this evening instead.

It's cold out there as well as rain, the rain usually brings a slight increase in temps but not today it would seem.

The rain cuts like icicles.

Only out for the very short school run and the rain hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am glad I am not alone in feeling the pressure. Though I am nowhere near retiring financially, I am year 1 on a mortgage. I too aspired for a certain career/promotion and Im not sure its worth the rub. I am seeing a psychologist for the first time today to try and get my head around a few things and learn to switch off after hours. Whatsapp is the bain of my work life, well that and a loon of a senior partner.

Just to note, that 8 years is if financially my firm continues to perform as it does currently, a downturn/recession would severely impact that plan so its very much a best case scenario, but I needed to see light at the end of the tunnel or I genuinely feel like I'd lose the plot mentally... little victories to lift the pressure is what its all about, that's why I worked so hard a few years back at finding ways to switch off on Friday evenings to allow my head about 48 hours to de-stress so to speak. Without that window of decompression I reckon I'd have ended up in a loony bin!

Christmas & family holidays/breaks are a huge part of reminding me why I do what I do though, its times like that, the real highlights of the year that make it worthwhile.

Boards lotto syndicate anyone? haha

It's a cooooold one out there this morning, I'm just happy it's dry tho!

yep, having to de-ice the car this morning was a real pain! Beats the rain though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Zero road gritting/salting today, as opposed to the cold weather recently.

Horrid trek in.

Thank christ for heated seats and de-icing windows

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I was surprised to see the frosty roof tops and cars this morning. Lovely and sunny out there now, I'll take that any day over yesterday's non-stop rain.

Oh 100% today is a beautiful day compared to yesterday. No complaints here, yesterday was rotten!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's cold out there every day! What is this, Miami Beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Had to go to Dublin this morning for a client visit. M50 is pure torture - was grand for one morning, but jeez, I couldn't do that every day.

Finally got something locked in for the midterm so looking forward to that now - think we are all due a change of scenery in our house!

I must sit down this week and map out my annual leave for the rest of the year.

Feeling giddy here using a €15 Bluetooth keyboard I got for my new iPad to type on boards.

I much rather typing on boards using an actual keyboard over the mobile keyboard any day. There’ll be no stopping me now haha.

I can go off on all the rants now haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

The last few weeks when the temps dropped was absolutely fine for walking, this morning however, I definitely found a difference while walking the dog in the park found myself practically tip-toeing due to the icy pathways.

Bitter cold at training tonight, but dry thankfully. Give me that any day.

• Advertisement

Thinking of booking Center Parcs this April for a little break, think it'll be easier than going abroad with a toddler and a newborn. Has anyone been would ye recommend?

Also are there any other places ye would recommend for a family break, might do another one in Sept-Oct, can do off-peak this year with the OH being on maternity leave.

Advertisement