Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Johnny Nelson hardly has a direct line with the fury camp, they all sign an nda when they go into camp

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any price released yet by TNT sports PPV?

I don’t think the tv situation has been announced yet

Yes, maybe bit early. I assume TNT will carry it

Yes I’m guessing it’s going to be the same as last time with the Saudi fights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What if Usyk's legs are gone?

What if Usyk's and Fury's legs are gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Harsh on Karl he fought a different level of great ,

Wlad had 3 losses before Fury ,Ward had never lost a fight & never did ,

Spot on. Wlad was very close end his career. Carl fought a prime great Ward

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

To be fair to Froch I think the context behind the Fury comments were based on Wilder being beat fairly easily by Parker. Wilders resume is thin, I don’t buy Ortiz being a top win.

Parker winning that fight lessens Fury’s resume.

Klits timing was gone by the time he fought fury, Wlad was hesitant to throw the right and missing with wild left hooks in the fights prior to that.

Fury needs the Usyk and AJ win to be considered the best of his era.

If AJ fights and beats Wilder and Fury loses to Usyk, is there much difference in their resumes then?

• Advertisement

wilder is likely going to be put into the hall of fame purely on defending his belt 10 times which hasn't been done too often, he look poor against parker but was that due to having the ears boxed off him and then not fighting for so long i wonder

Fury took the best of Wilder. He was never going to be same fighter after Fury beat him up and up; Froch seemed to exclude this from his analysis.

Post edited by walshb on

All fair points above. I still think the manner of the lose to Parker takes the gloss off those wins for Fury.

When Fury vs Wilder happened we all thought it was the top 2 fighting whereas based on results since it may have been 1st vs 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That;s the thing about boxing it’s all so temporary. Almost all of them end up nowhere nearly as good as their former selves. Timing is so important too. If Wilder had met Fury 2 years earlier who knows what might have happened. Different trainers and approaches etc. He’s not the same any more.

Froch was a brilliant fighter by the way, Ward was special.

That all being said, I can see the point he’s made. If Joshua KOs Wilder and Usyk stops Fury then we all need to reevaluate. If Ngannou stops Joshua as well then I’m all out of ideas! I think Joshua will win that by mid rounds

Thankfully competitive fights are starting to be made more regular now so we should have a better idea of where they rank.

Hrgovic vs Zhang.

Zhang vs Joyce.

parker vs wilder.

parker vs Zhang.

Fury vs Usyk

etc

I guess with Fury you can say he’s fought 3 opponents who had a claim to be number 1 when he fought them. Klit, Wilder and Usyk.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Legs don't go at his age. It's bad training whether that's on him, most likely, or his coaches which is unlikely. Skipping and bike work will have your legs in great shape.

Lots of Athletes in far more physical sports like soccer are still going in their late thirties these days, if they didn't have legs they'd be done.

MMA has loads of fighters in their late thirties, if they didn't have legs they'd be done

Hmm not many of those guys have a 2 year hiatus ballooning in weight. I dont think his legs are gone but if they were it wouldn’t shock me. Plenty of soccer players retire between 30 and 35.

This theory about furys legs are gone is just from ex boxers like Johnny Nelson craving attention from ifltv and then it grows legs, hopefully both lads are in their best shape and we get a good scrap and the best man wins convincingly and no need for a rematch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

You must be joking?

Froch had 12 world title fights. 11 wins over world champs. Took Dirrell, Bute and Pascal’s zeros. Pascal was still a world champ 15 years later. Taylor was still a world champ 5 years later. Abraham had 10 defences before Froch and 8 more world title fights after. Ward the only man he didn’t beat wouldn’t come to the UK, lost his passport.

Up there with the greatest British fighter CV. I’m a Fury fan but he can’t compare with that.

Very good post and breakdown. I am not even that much a fan of Froch's style as a boxer, but the chap could box, fight and tough it out. He had real heart, chin, stamina, good power, will to win.

Never shied away and fought a lot of very very good boxers, in a 168 lbs era that really was top notch. Top 5 British boxer the past 30-40 years in my book.

Yes, agreed.....I just think legs (for both lads) very important to their game-plan. And if both are as "great" as they want to be, then they should be able to adapt, adjust and change it up to get the win......Ali's legs weren't near as "good" in the early to mid 70s, but he was actually as good in the early 70s as he was mid 60s, because he adapted and adjusted.

Are you serious ?

The fittest footballer in the last 40 years Ronaldo was turfed out of United at a similar age because his legs could no longer do the work off the ball, & he is a a machine , Every footballer that makes 35 has to reinvent there game because there legs are gone,

Now lets remember Fury is 20 stone & that in fighting shape so is carrying more than that for most of the year,

Yes there have been older heavey, weight champs but Fury whole game is based around his legs & feet, Everyone who gets in there can't understand how a man of his size moves so well, If that is one or even noticeable slowed down he is in trouble, His whole distance game is built around his feet ,

In MMA range is different game for so many reason's it's not comparable, You have knee's m kicks, grappling ,the cage, the size of it, shorter fights, its not relatable,

Good example is Couture v Toney , Couture was in complete & utter control of distance n the cage but in boxing Toney was a master of distance control , its so so different

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you do the skipping and other forms of leg work, I recommend the bike, your legs, will be fine. Hip work as well obviously but that's not very difficult.

Remember George Foreman? Vitali, Wladimir, Lennox? They were all in their very late thirties when they were champions, all with good legs. There's been many heavyweight champions who were older than 35.

35 is not old at boxing. Fury is a great one but he did sfa for the Ngannou fight. I'd be surprised if he was in the gym anymore than, well doing serious work, three days per week he was in such bad shape.

The guys you mention all had different style to Fury , Fury is far more on his toes than any of those ,

Wlad went to a jab & grab style , Lennox after 35 he got beat to Rahman & got lucky against Vitali ,

Look at Tyson & Ali who's original styles where built around there feet at 35 they too where slowing down ,

Fury also doesn't live the life like those you mentioned,

We shall find out in 2 weeks time ,

Lewis did not get lucky against Vitali. He stopped him from punching him, forcing a stoppage. It was Lewis who won that fight, not Vitali who 'lost' it!

True but he was behind on all the cards, Lewis took that fight on 2 weeks notice which is insane & was 387 i think to Vitali's 31,

I see daddy Fury, John is fairly confident...he thinks a 70 percent Fury, whatever that is, will do the trick against Usyk

• Advertisement

Advertisement