Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

One of the weird paradigms this whole fiasco has created, is that not only are the bleeding-heart Liberals gas lit into backing a Libertarian economic policy, but that they then advocate for the State to become a major supplier of residential accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

These 'higher taxes' are actually targeted taxes directed towards those engaged in property speculation, with the intention of tackling the housing crisis.

The right doesn't want to do anything to tackle the housing crisis for fear it might damage the staggering profits of their cronies.

People are calling out for a 'further to the right' government, forgetting that it's right wing FFG economic policies which have gotten us to this place with health and housing.

My ask to anyone considering voting for what they believe will be tightened immigration, is to question if it really will be less immigration, or if anything, just different immigration? And then to have a good think about what else comes with that right wing package around wages, work conditions, public healthcare, renters protections and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

That was the discussion. Not once did I see a reference to children. Which by the way would of been totally unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DoyDK

This is a rather lazy (and potentially misleading) statement, with no data provided to obtain proper insight.

You need to understand and look at such crimes in the context of per capita, or representation. Migrants in Sweden, for example, are vastly over-represented when it comes to sexual crimes.

Another consideration is people coming from countries like Afghanistan, where LGBT is punishable by death. Could this create tensions and problems in Ireland, where LGBT is widely celebrated? Will some of these migrants bring intolerant beliefs?

We cannot tar everyone with the same brush, ever. To do so is evil. But we must be realistic, and assess the issues properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It was impossible for the State to ask people to have faith in its processes when people who were found to be in Ireland illegally were not made leave, only asked to deport themselves. I suspect the Government found explaining the situation very embarrassing.

I've noted the same embarrassment when they are asked why people who enter Ireland with no documents are almost never prosecuted, despite it being an offence.

Really the State's policy was led by good intentions and not by common sense. Hopefully that's changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

And the claims of middle ground show their face.

Can't even state that something like that would be wrong. You begin trying to defend it.

🤣🤣🤣

Are they though?

My friend who was a sinn Fein pbp person during water charges now believes they are part of the nwo.

Do you think he is alone or perhaps people like him are part of the recent drop in support for sinn Fein.

I have been on boards since 2006 the multiculturalism thread and others like this predate your joining by some time. So I'm confused why you think you are the ultimate arbiter for what had been said on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Ok I thought you were referring to the recent discussion, I'm sorry

What is a bleeding heart liberal. Can you identify any on this thread?

Or is this basic strawmanning?

• Advertisement

So I'm right in saying that it was the post of mine that you are saying stated that your children were not Irish.

Please confirm as we can take this to the moderators for confirmation to see was the post removed because I stated your children were not Irish.

Did I state this in my post.

Our this is what you decided to take out of my post.

By the way in my earlier reply to lotus flower you will see where I condemned any such statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

Was in blackrock this morning. Plenty of African and south Asian young males with backpack in the village. Think they converted some old office in DP centre. Well it's certainly showing now - this is not just a rural ireland or working class thing any longer. We'll see it will just take one incident that is not suppressed by the media.

But nursing homes have been shut and then later turned into asylum centres. That has happened so it's not a conspiracy theory

I don't even know what post of yours you are referring to.

🤣🤣🤣

And if it was deleted I may never have read it. I'm not on here all day to see posts come in in real time.

I was talking generally about the responses received on these types of threads.

Very defensive though.

Glad you agree racism is wrong too.

So someone actually posted the phrase telling you your children are not Irish or was it what you interpreted it to mean.

Of course I agree racism is wrong but if calling out the total mess this government is making in this country due to uncontrolled immigration makes me a racist then so be it.

You know different people have different views on what racism is. Highlighting fears of what is happening in my own country in my eyes is far from racism.

We all have different views on racism for sure, like for example I think mocking that Muslim girl in the twitter video from days ago and declaring she is not Irish if that is how she has presented herself is done because of racist intent.

And I think posters need to be careful to steer clear of abusing individual immigrants or their children in attempting to discuss the general issue of immigration to Ireland.

I am all for a fair and balanced discussion on immigration but if your discussion points consist of Soros Shaub WEF or your method for discussion is mocking individuals or if you want to tar all immigrants as criminals or you want to accuse a religions members of all being something then I don't think that is fair or balanced.

If you want to discuss immigration as a policy the elected government can amend. Great. I have been asking posters that for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Noteworthy to hear RTE journos doing their best to challenge the idea that Algeria is a safe country. You'd think they'd toe the government line but it seems they are also driven by some other privileged agenda.

So I take it that no one posted that you’re children are not Irish, it was you who interpreted this from something in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Now that Algeria is deemed a safe country, why are we not deporting the 3,700 Algerians in the system immediately on chartered flights? No reason the safety designation should not apply retrospectively to previous arrivals. After all the country is safe now so they can go home right? 3,700 is not an insignificant number, especially if we have to house, feed, clothe them for decades into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'm sure some of our MSM journalists will be asking these questions to Helen n Rodders!

• Advertisement

My children are Irish. I would certainly hope no one would post such things or even to start quantifying just how Irish they are. I have spoke of them as mixed enithcity and talked about how racist people in Ireland have referred to them in public. Or how I have heard proper refer to other people of mixed ethnicity.

But I have never given any information that would indicate they are not Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Because people from safe countries are still entitled to apply for international protection. There is, however, a new accelerated application procedure for those from safe countries of origin. Resulting in them now receiving decisions in less than 90 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

But you're ignoring that the safety designation impacts on the acceptance rate. So shouldn't we re-evaluate all Algerians who were already accepted under the old criteria? And deport unless they can point to specific personal threat of persecution in their home country that overrides that country's safe deisgnation?

"I would certainly hope no one would post such things" is a bit different to what you stated earlier

"I have been told my children are not Irish. Based on their mixed ethnicity.

The posts have received many thanks. The mods have deleted them"

So did someone post that or didn't they?

Okay I totally agree 100% of what you have said. And I certainly do not have any feelings like these. My grievance when posting is totally against the way in which the government are handling this whole process.

Any law abiding person no matter what part of the planet they are from are very welcome to come here to work, and add to Irish society in a meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I’m not ignoring anything. I’m just explaining why we are not going to be “deporting the 3,700 Algerians in the system immediately on chartered flights”. I don’t know if the safe country status will be applied retrospectively. At a guess…probably not, these kind of thing usually applies to new applicants only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

I don’t know if the safe country status will be applied retrospectively

It should absolutely apply retrospectively to ongoing cases and appeals. And it should also apply to people who got their refugee status, their home county is now safe (as it always was) so they can f off back there. But this being Ireland, this is not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Some hardline right wingers would say that your own home country is also safe so why don't you f off back there instead of trying to dictate and interfere with Irish people in their ancestral homeland? There is already at least one indigenous ancestral Irish person who is out of a job and accommodation because they were competing with a foreigner like yourself in their own ancestral homeland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

Very insightful stuff.

If boards.ie is representative of Irish opinion, or even a right wing cesspit as some claim you will have no bother finding a post or two to back this up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement