Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ah, but it comes in a nice box with a shiny disk. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Luna84

One game I should really try is that Hogwarts game. I do not know how it is even possible but a disc version is actually cheaper then a digital download. Xbox Series X version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Immersive Sims aren't that popular though. Dishonored had a hard time getting off the ground, Prey was sent out to die and even Bioshock needed to feed off its association with system shock 2. Publishers don't like the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

No they aren't but still, Prey 2017 and Deathloop did sell well. I don't know how well the System Shock remake sold, because that's a brilliant game, and it it did sell well then there's hope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems it sold very well and that's before its got a console release. I'd be pretty confident that they'll probably plans system shock 2 remake.

Just a shame then that the sequel rights are then owned by Tencent to complicate things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pfft, who needs other immersive sims when Cruelty Squad exists to give you a pounding headache while playing?

I'm following someone on twitter that is obsessed with that game. Is it any good or is it just jankcore streamer fodder?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

People have been banned for much less.

Oddly though, the sophistication of toolsets and overall volume of talent means it's passing strange the indie scene HASN'T filled the gap. Yes they're complex games to make but you'll see see, say, indie open world games and all their complexity than an immersive sim and Deus Ex clone.

This is always the way. There are digital sales but they never match the physical sales on recent games (and never with Nintendo first party). At least for now.

And you can always sell, trade, swap the physical game. And buy second hand.

This is changing though, at some stage physical games will be gone.

I was recommended an indie immersive sim there recently. I'll check my wishlist when I've a chance and post back.

• Advertisement

Also, on Amazon you'll see physical game prices vary wildly. E.g. Elden Ring from 25 pounds up. You are best waiting 12 months or or as long as you can, unless you really need to play a game now. Or its Nintendo first party, which rarely drop much. You'll also get patches, bug fixes and even free next gen upgrades if you are not in a mad hurry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve only played an hour of it or so, but it’s actually a rock solid retro-style immersive sim under its abrasive exterior. It’s popularity certainly isn’t just down to its odd presentation.

I’d probably be more into my Cosmo D games or Oikospiel when it comes to odd indie jankcore, but Cruelty Squad does have plenty to offer for those able to endure the headache-y visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Still having a lot of fun with Tekken 8. The training/practice features are insane. Once you reach a certain point in the Arcade Quest mode, you unlock the ability to fight CPU Ghost versions of yourself and other players, where the game is constantly learning how you fight, meaning you can essentially fight yourself and learn what mistakes you're making, how you're signalling what you're doing. You can even download Ghosts of friends or players you've fought so you can play them offline and practice against them. They're not perfect (my ghost had a tendency to instantly use his Heat moves at the start of a match which I never do, but seems to have stopped that), but they're pretty good.

You can also watch replays of fights you've had where it'll give tips on what you could have done, like saying you could have punished during this part of the opponent's combo with a quick jab and turned the tide on them, or recommending better combos you could have used.

The training modes and even the Arcade Quest mode itself do a far better job of training you rather than just making you practice various combos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

yeah ok, I'll buy it :D

To be fair, I really need this, I tend to main the same handful of characters and use the same 4/5 moves but just got good enough movement to be a handful. That kind of analysis would actually be really good for me

Yeah I saw an image floating around online yesterday of Jin's moveset and some people complaining about how on earth are you ever meant to learn all that especially as the image was labelled "Quick Guide", but the truth is you just learn and get good at a few short combos and practice how to tie them together to keep the pressure on. As Hwoarang, once I can hit a launcher, I have my few moves I can do to then take off a decent chunk of their health, then I have a few moves I do in between to keep them guessing and take off a bit of health. The rest is just learning how to move, bait and hit a quick jab to interrupt them. The main thing I need to learn now is how to best keep attacking when they're down. Most of the people I'm facing online now are able to just constantly keep me bouncing and staying close to me, chaining their attacks for about half my health. Need to learn that myself.

That chart is kind of why I steer clear of Tekken. Too much to learn. Prefer something that's simple but with loads of depth like SF, samurai shodown or VF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭jj880

Lets have it right. None compare to the king of all fighting games:

😆

But that's what I mean in my post above, you don't need to learn all that, or even really half of it. Once you learn one or two starters/launchers, one or two combos to follow up with, a few moves if they're on the floor or against a wall, and then some general lows/pressure/interruption moves, you have most of it sussed to start carrying you through a lot of fights. Even watching a lot of the high-level players, most of the fights are just teasing each other out until someone gets their combo starter, and then they're mostly just using the same string of attacks each time.

There's a combo that I use that does about 54 damage. There's another combo in the list that would do 58 damage, but I find it harder to pull off as the timing is tighter and I'm not consistent enough with it, so I just don't bother with it. The advantage of having such a larger moveset is you can find the best attacks that suit you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Look at you all talking about fighting games like there's any skill involved. Pfffh. WE all know what the true strategy for winning is.

I don't believe it.

I was actually searching for that game with all the talk of fighting games recently.

Was really cool you could fight 2 at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭jj880

You know it. Still remember full days spent on it with my friend and his younger bro on his Amiga.

So addictive and so much fun. Zipstiks were a requirement 😁

That reminds me, Eddy Gordo is the first DLC character for Tekken 8.

Not sure why that gif made me think of him....

International Karate Plus

I think I played it on Amstrad

Edit ... googled a video ... Yep ... And there was a sub game where you had to deflect balls.

I actually got legitimately good with Eddy just because of the PS1 demo disk, but yeah it's amazing how much of a meme Eddy Gordo became for being the prime example of button-mashing in a fighting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And those trick balls which would start with a low bounce then hit you high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Anyone watching the State of Play? Stellar Blade not doing it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dave The Diver coming to PlayStation on April, **** yes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

But Godzilla coming to Dave the Diver? Yes please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wtf new silent Hill game that's free to play that's available now??? Looks scary as **** as well.

Advertisement