Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

What is the point of these photos taken several weeks after the murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

A hatchet to the hand would be visible for weeks. The dermatologist from days after didn't see the remains of a hatchet injury. We've gone from briars to a hatchet wound....

The bottle of wine is a bit of a red herring. As far as I recall it was found in April and half covered over by grass which would suggest that it was there much longer than four months. Minimal grass growth from December to April. If it originated in Sophie`s house it was probably stolen during the break in three years earlier where the perpetrator apparently took a bath. It isn`t hard to figure out a number one suspect for that either. Sophie joked with Josephine Hellen at the time that it was probably Alfie, but Alfie had his own bath. On the other hand Jules kicked Bailey out for a while that year after an assault. Local, down on his luck, fond of a drink, needed a bath. Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,617 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The time she suspected Alfie was because Alfie had no running water for a period, based on information I've read.

Evidence Josephine Hellen suspected Bailey = zero.

The suspicion was that it was someone with a key, hence the changing of the locks. Pointedly, no spare key seems to have been given to Alfie. And since the changing of the locks, no signs of anyone using the water. It might have stopped regardless.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ah things were fine until I went up there and bashed her brains in

Things were fine until they started saying I went up there and bashed her brains in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Zola1000

This is true but another stupid theory is that he could have two or more long black coats. Burn the one he had and give the guards other ones he has. Like the other girl that made that statement that was staying with Thomas/ bailey over Christmas period indicated she seen bloodied clothes in bucket on in bathroom. Again one would assume..any evidence he wanted get rid off would have just gone into that so called fire...

So again I don't think police started taking items till well into January...if anyone knows that side of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

And of course the DPP’s assertion was - “he could have burned clothes- not he did burn clothes”

Aside from I think Jules mentioning that if the blood stains from shorts worn when killing the turkeys didn’t come out, these might have been burned- there was no other mention of other clothes being burnt

Dwyer actually said no coat had ever been taken.

Coat was put into evidence but then disappeared.

Dwyer is about as reliable as a chocolate fire guard.

The missing exhibits included:

a) a blood-spattered gate taken from close to where Madame Toscan Du Plantier's body was found,

b) a French wine bottle found four months after the murder in a field next to the scene,

c) a black overcoat belonging to Ian Bailey,

d) the original memo of interview of Jules Thomas following her arrest in 1997,

e) an original witness statement from Marie Farrell provided on 5 March 2004,

f) an original witness statement from Jules Thomas dated 19 February 1997

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I saw the Dwyer fella on the Jim Sheridan documentary and thought he was an embarrassment - is it any wonder the case was never solved with Gardai like him working on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭redoctober

Was gonna come on here and post the same. The guy looks like he takes a real Hicksville Tennessee approach to policing.

Edit: also, probably why Bailey said the guards weren't used to dealing with intelligent people!

• Advertisement

Another item going missing. You wouldn't want be working in lost and found with this lot.

I've never heard that statement before as reliable as chocolate fire guard:) . Suits him perfect.

I couldn't believe how drole he was a on Netflix documentary..reminded me this is what the case is like. May or may not get answers... trudging along. Sure once we are seeing to be doing a bit we will be grand sure. No panic. We will get evidence eventually , something will turn up sure. Put on kettle there.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

Incompetent for sure but a nasty piece of work too in my view

"Another item going missing. You wouldn't want be working in lost and found with this lot."

Or maybe you would... sticky fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Dwyers patter was interesting in the documentaries. He had a sort of self satisfied demeanour. An implied superiority. He appeared like he was explaining basic detective work to a room of schoolchildren. Ironically he came across almost as arrogant as Bailey at times.

His efforts to appear competent and experienced in the interviews evaporates when the mistakes and mishaps of the gardai are laid bare.

It’d be interesting to hear an analysis of the gardais performance from a seasoned detective at Scotland Yard.

Yes for level of knowledge they are supposed as super intendant to have I felt he was nasty price of work.. it's on his conscious that he let course of investigation go on way it did...the book would have stopped with him..and can't believe he went along with tampering of statements , misleading witnesses etc. , etc.

Every minute of first two weeks were vital..and they were wasted on this investigation.

Complete Muldoon.

He is half the reason I think Bailey may have well been stitched up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

There have been countless “ex detectives” rolled out for TV programmes and radio interviews through the years - each one more pompous and arrogant than the last. The programme documentary on the 70s /80s “heavy group of detectives” or whatever they were called was one of the most repulsive I’ve seen where they had no problem in justifying their actions of interrogation - sick bastards is too polite a description for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

If you think he was having baths there, he would have left plenty of DNA behind in the drains... So this is going for flights of fancy at this stage.

In reference to this can we confirm that bailey did take showers there in 1993...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There in no suggestion that Bailey was the person suspected of breaking into Sophie's house to take a bath. The person most suspected is, I believe, Alfie.

Of course not. But a night time wanderer, who was kicked out of his primary accommodation in 1993, probably needed a wash, might have been a few bottles of French wine lying about, knew the lie of the land well....all very tempting isn`t it? And that bottle of wine and where it was found?

Alfie had no water? Probably a nonsense pedaled by someone trying to find a reason why Sophie proposed it was Alfie. When the water supply fails you deal with it immediately and the last issue you will have will be taking a bath. First priority is get the toilets flushed.

The reality is that Sophie was probably to the forefront of Bailey`s thoughts for some time given her associations and occupation. It is obvious from what Leo Bolger said to West Cork Podcast that Bailey wanted to show his poetry to Sophie. To what level she interacted with him afterwards will never be known for certain, but I would find it incredible if over a couple of years he had never made contact with her to regale her with his bullshit poetry.

He had an extremely elevated sense of his own artistic ability, used to make eyes roll and move the public on when he pushed forward with his recitations and seems to have had no self awareness at all as to how crap it all was.

Nobody said the only water used was the bath. Just that the bath was dirty so noticed. If you just used water from the place for your toilets, how would anyone know.

Why would Bailey go to a random house when there was the separate studio cottage?

No reports of any bottles of wine being taken from the property.

A dirty ring in the bath is noticed but not a missing wine bottle? I think we can safely rule that out.

Then you make a statement like "The reality is that Sophie was probably to the forefront of Bailey's thoughts"... based on complete speculation.

So, fixed your post:

Probably a nonsense pedaled by someone trying to find a reason to propose it was Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The locks were changed soon afterwards, so Sophie probably realised whoever used the bathroom had a key. They would also have to be familiar enough with the house to switch on the power and water pump and fire up the oil fired stove. You don’t need great imagination to figure who that might be.

"Nobody said the only water used was the bath"

There is no evidence that any other bathroom fixture was used.

"A dirty ring in the bath is noticed and not a missing bottle of wine?"

The wine was more likely to have been assumed consumed by one of the numerous welcome visitors. I wouldn`t notice a bottle of wine going missing from my house.

"based on complete speculation"

Actually no. It is based on Leo Bolger`s description of the lead up to Alfie`s introducing Sophie to Bailey on West Cork Podcast.

"Why would Bailey go to a random house when there was a separate studio cottage?"

First of all it wasn`t a random house. It was the holiday home of the French TV producer that Bailey was clearly initially anxious to be introduced to. Of course there also has to be something of interest that gets you all riled up to go out for those famous long night time walks. Was it you or perhaps someone else who was recently going on about the studio being part of the family home and not a separate entity down the road at all? If he was banished to the studio after that assault, are you sure there was hot water available there? God forbid he had to buy his own alcohol.

You should take a listen to the West Cork Podcast. It undermines a couple of your core beliefs that you have pedaled on these threads to undermine the case against Bailey for some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Are there any high profiles cases of coppers trying to frame a guilty man?

Other posters have taken apart this entire line of argument on multiple points.

"There is no evidence that any other bathroom fixture was used."

Why would there be? Some actions don't leave any evidence as has been pointed out to you. This is all then more ironic given that you have absolutely zero evidence or reasonable suggestion it was Bailey.

And this is from the Irish Independent:

"Ms Hellen claimed that Sophie suspected that someone was getting into the house to use her water and bathroom facilities while she was away."

You're seriously arguing that a ring in a bath was noticed and not a missing bottle of wine! This is speculation on top of speculation which has no credibility.

So you know Bailey had access to another property, a property that might reasonably expected to have hot water... yet still continue with this speculation he would go to another place 4km where he could be seen, on the off chance he might be able to get into it and it would have hot water and wine? The proposition makes no sense.

Leo Bolger of the miraculous memory and the suspiciously light suspended sentence for a sophisticated drugs operation? He has no credibility either. Remembering unimportant (at the time) social interaction years later - nope. Nor does he say that Sophie was to the "forefront" of Bailey's thoughts at time of the murder if ever.

Nobody involved suspected Bailey, the locks were changed. It was pretty obvious who was suspected as you well know from following the case.

Does the West Cork podcast suggest Bailey as the person using the bath? Which episode? Or are you misrepresenting them to support your own invented claim?

Turns out Leo`s memory isn`t nearly as miraculous as you continually claim. Leo was arrested in 2010 and you have continually maintained that this was when Leo invented the Bailey/Sophie introduction. Go on then....I`ll quote what West Cork Podcast says....

"The thing is, 2010 wasn`t the first time that Leo told anyone about what he saw. Years earlier, Leo spoke to a lawyer for the newspapers that Ian sued for libel named Paula Mullooly. She told us that they`d heard there was someone who could corroborate Alfie`s story about an encounter between Ian and Sophie and they tracked Leo down. Leo was even lined up to testify at the trial but the case was settled so he never got called up to the stand....Mullooly told us that the story Leo told them back then matches what he says today."

It is still a miraculous memory, to remember a brief social interaction from years earlier, utterly unimportant at the time it occurred, to which he was just a bystander.

Reason one to be suspicious of it.

Did Leo Bolger ever say when this happened? It was not recent to the murder by all accounts, and yet he recalls it years later but not after the murder. Doesn't add up and never has.

He didn't disclose this information directly after the murder which was when it would be obvious to anyone sincere that it when it was most timely?

So again that should immediately make people suspicious of the story.

Here we have him putting himself forward because a newspaper was looking for someone to corroborate their defence in a libel case. Purely out of the goodness of his heart for sure.

A man running a sophisticated drugs operation who got off with a suspended sentence. Who knows what shenanigans such a man could get up to.

• Advertisement

Do many alcoholics throw away bottles of wine?

Advertisement