Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Box extension to front of house in Ireland: pretty or not?

• 30-01-2024 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Saw this on tv recently (Sunday night), and wonder what other people think of this as an extension in front of a semi-detached house, in a housing estate where are the other houses are traditional? It is certainly very different.

If these popped up in front of semi-detached houses in your area, what would you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd think you have a serious axe to grind about everything that happens in Room To Improve which you've been espousing over several threads and forums, and it might be best for your own sanity if you stop watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I like much of the inside of the house, it is the outside view from the public road I am not so sure about. Great TV anyway. Do you like the view of the house from the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

That in your picture is disgusting looking. You dont usually see big extensions on the front of houses. Maybe planning has decided its ok to go that way now, but that is one of the ugliest extensions ive ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

the planning docs and Dermot B mentioned bringing the front out in line with the house next door but the final build appeared to extend out further?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Back of the house would be more appropriate because traditionally most house extensions I've seen are usually built in the back so it doesn't look too out of place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,125 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I like it: it gives conformist suburbia a solid kick.

Looks like a flat was removed from a 1970s tower block and dropped into their front garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭SteM

My mum lives in a council estate where 80%ish of the houses have been bought. The people opposite her did a very similar extension a few years ago but in a mid-terrace, maybe its a little smaller. It looks awful imo, it just doesn't fit in with the original house or its surroundings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Baybay

It is dreadfully ugly in my opinion but apparently it got PP & the owners are happy. I would not want my house to look like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Not my cup of tea, it extends out too far, how did it get PP?

I have no room to extend out my back, I might have a look at my front garden now.

How did it get planning permission asks you? Well in this drawing it seems to be a different shape, not as high at the front with a different shaped window. The top of the window in the drawing is level as the other first floor windows, and the same size proportion.

Kabakuyu, build your extension out the front, you can build the front wall, and side walls of the front extension, maybe 75 cm or a few feet higher than in the drawing, it'll be grand. Possibly.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/Z8Y3096C6HFG/bannon.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Very different": diplomatic way of saying fugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

The photo above could be very misleading. It is not clear but the top of the extension could be at the same level as the existing house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭thereiver

I think it looks awful not even the same color as the rest of the house

a traditional style door would look better it's fugly design at least the new window lines up with the old windows in the house

It looks too big in comparison with the neighbours house

Not misleading. Here is someone else's photo of the house from a different angle. Note the side wall of the extension where it meets the house - it is about five tiles high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,599 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Probably necessary to let people build non-traditional extensions given the housing shortage. Young people can't buy and rent is sky high so if your kids are going to live with you until their 30s, it makes sense to make more room than you had when they were children.

Lots of examples of couples living together in one of their parents houses. It's just the way things have gone.

It's not pretty, but It's not my business to tell other people how to build their house. Other people’s houses are like other people’s children. No matter how ugly you might think they are, you smile and say they're beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭timmyntc

That looks way worse - like the house grew a tumour

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

its kind of...shite...but thats just my opinion...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

"You are him…the one they call the "Baba Yaga"…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Really like it. Modern and different. Clearly sets the original house back against the modern add on.

Many older folk won’t like it though. Kinda like touch screens. Afraid of change.

Although that’s a very misleading wide angle photo used in the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭SteM

Kind of silly comment. My 72 yo mum dislikes the look of the one built opposite her but doesn't have an issue with a touchscreen on her phone. Not sure why you equated them or why you turned it into an age issue.

Hence, “many”. Your mum obviously is not one of the many. She’s the exception. My 73 year old father in law just bought an EV, but won’t touch an iPhone and he hates the box extension on the house at the back of him!

Same exception. So only silly from your perspective. It’s a different opinion just have to accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s grand. Those fairly identikit houses beside it aren’t exactly architectural masterpieces tbh - very standard Dublin suburbia style. Doing something different with them is no harm.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Total nonsense generalisations. Many younger folk don't like it - are they all afraid of touchscreens and the modern world too?

Some of them yes. Dont be so offended. Accept other people’s opinions or you’ll end up very stressed.

Funny how that offended you, yet you have no problem dissing the work amen to some people suffering from actual tumor.

As I said. Don’t stress out over other people’s opinions. You have one, I have one. Both as valid as each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

It's a monstrosity. I would have gotten rid of the hip roof, built a gable roof and converted the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sexomniac

Fanny Pack springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s ridiculous looking. Just shows you…. Accommodation shortages / population crisis so anything goes now as far as the politicians and the builders / planners are concerned.

the upstairs isn’t all that bad but mother of fück, the downstairs.

Also I imagine it’s going to be casting shadows and minimising the natural light for the neighbour there to the left as we are looking at the pic.

I wonder was an objection lodged ? Be nuts if they didn’t. I’d have thrown money at a lawyer to get that stopped.. then again it could be a bed sit and that landlord doesn’t care….who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭geographica

• Advertisement

I think the scale, shape and finish of it is totally wrong and out of place too, so that makes it 19 people hate it / do not like it, and 3 people like it, with someone else neutral.

Perhaps if it had been kept smaller ( not as tall ) , like in the planning drawing, and with the window shaped and sized like in the planning drawing, it would have looked better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

we are hardwired to like symmetry so an extension like that is always going to look wrong.

I think the human eye also finds the sheer scale (size) of that front extension that was built (as opposed to the one on the drawing) out of place, and the fact the building style does not match or be sympathetic to the surrounding streetscape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,439 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Another Fantasy Bulldozer thread in the one woman Get Bannon quest.

Just think of the many many iconic buildings and monuments that would not exist in the world any more if conservative contemporary opinions had been appeased or listened to.

Iconic buildings and monuments are great in the right place, but you are stretching it seriously to

(a) call this an iconic building

(b) think the front of a semi-detached house in middle of a housing estate is the right place for an iconic building?

I'm not out to get Bannon ( I like parts of the inside of the house / do not mind what he does to the back ) but imagine if there was no planning regulation for front extensions in every housing estate in the country?

FFS give it up.

The planners were happy that this proceeded.

If you have an objection you are free to make it.

If Bannon changed stuff from the submitted plans he has to get retention.

In my opinion and I don't see why the planners would disagree, the changes made it much better.

By the way buildings 'become' iconic and private houses can too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

No one should ever look for planning so , just do what you want and ask forgiveness after?

Who said that?

As pointed out by an industry pro here, 'retention' is a part of planning law. It's use is entirely justifiable therefore. Abuse of it, is not and it's up to pro's to assess that, not some randomers on boards.ie who seem to have a massive grudge given the threads they have opened and contributed to about this one house.

Bizarre and fetishist tbh.

Why build it so different to the plans ? Maybe he knew that it wouldn't be accepted, but they wouldn't make him change it after, it's abuse of the planning process, it's for a television show so obviously it's going to be scrutinized more,if they didn't want that they wouldn't be on it,,,I don't appreciate the name calling either,no need,we are all entitled to our opinions even if they differ, thanks, it's a " discussion forum".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It looks like crap

'So different'? I wouldn't go anywhere near that view tbh.

It's for the pro's to decide if the process was abused. He wouldn't be the first to have make changes.

• Advertisement

So different? It is about 5 slates higher. If everyone built their front walls of their house 3 feet or a meter higher than in the drawings, and altered the shape of the window, would that be OK? Yes or no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can someone link to the planning application, so we can see if anyone objected?

If nobody objected, well....

Object Francis.

Why are you opening so many threads on this house?

Are they neighbours you fell out with, because it is extremely odd behaviour from you. Obsessive.

There's a pair of ye with skin in the game methinks.....

Not a bit of it.

I like to challenge those who have it in for RTE and it's shows (check my posting) and pretend to be justifiably criticising.

RTE, Bannon and this couple are worthy of criticism but not the obsessive ranting that is going on with Francis.

+1

The AI may also contain the as built elevation.

We know where she lives now.

She obviously has to look out at it daily 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's likely the parapet around the front had to be made higher to ensure a sufficient flashing detail around same. These things often come up during construction rather than at design stage, and so long as it's in substantial compliance with the planning and doesn't cause any adverse effects, it's generally considered to be in compliance and not a breach of planning.

If you look at the drawing there is a "proposed stepped roof / gutter detail to avoid overhang", and no parapet. Surely they were experienced and competent enough to have an idea of that detail, seeing as they specified it? What was built was completely different, with the walls extending a few feet higher?

It is interesting to see what people think of the big "box like" extension joined on to the front of a semi-d house anyway.

Post edited by Francis McM on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

1157/23

seems only the immediate neighbours were concerned enough to object/put in an observation and without reading every document they seem to have come to some agreement following changes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement