Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They're effectively acceptable collateral damage according to posters here. Though it might make sense for them to accept manual returns in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There are people who shop in small local stores, in rural and suburban villages. They don't go to big supermarkets. It is possible to get what you need in a Centra type shop, bigger than a corner shop but which would be exempt because Ireland seems to have exempted a much larger number of stores than other countries with similar schemes.

There are also people who get online deliveries.

Inconveniences don't have to be "life changing" for people to be put out by them. Hysterical much?

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Well it's up to the retailer if they'll accept them or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The prices will be (or are supposed to be) displayed as €normal price + €deposit so if you tot up as you go around the shop you'll see the cost without the deposit displayed.

They've still not announced who is doing the processing of the collected materials, site currently reads "The tendering process is currently underway for the Counting / Processing facility, with a view to finalizing a contract by the end of the year"... Assuming they meant end of 2023.

They also say the scheme is funded by the placement & producer fees, no mention of the value of the material (which they own once returned) they are collecting, processing and selling back to producers at market rate?

Small retailers will lose out if they don't accept returns, Re-Turn is even advertising increased footfall and customer loyalty as a benefit for retailers. I can't believe they'd be so bold to do so! Well, maybe I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I get 99% of my groceries delivered. I don't drive. I pay recycling and waste collection.

So unless I start brewing my own Irn Bru, I'll be the Green Party's mug.

But remember, you're not allowed to feel inconvenienced by this, that would make you a bad person or hysterical or somesuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

this is who instructed these shops to comply https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121696409/#Comment_121696409

and they did'nt say no because it is the more profitable option than the other alternative, as mentioned in that linked comment.

don't get me started on paper straws, they're always going to bits on me lol.

too many green taxes and levys. Alot of air pollution, energy wasting and environmental waste also comes down to big business part they play. Some of them may opt for cheaper packaging (i believe for PR reasons and to make it look like they care but really its just because it costs less) but with this electric example, and other things like manufacturing, do they really care? Aslong as they pay their "green tax" they can continue polluting. Essentially its profiting off of their pollution, by taxing it. Some intentionally choose to pay this tax instead of refusing to pollute, because more money (what they really care about). it's bribery in a way, aslong as they pay green tax moneys they can continue to get away with destroyed the earth and environment in other ways. 

Things like "Green Tax" give companies the green light to keep polluting the earth and wasting electric as long as the government get their cut of the money.

Fines in general are like "ah thats fine aslong as you have the money to pay for it you can do it and get away with it, aslong as you can afford it" and doesnt actually stop the behavior. All this stuff can be summed up as "you can continue doing this aslong as you pay us, aslong as we make money from you doing it, its all good". they don't work and people are only profitting from the problem via the tax/fine instead of actually doing anything about it.

the green stuff being paraded around by businesses is usually a PR stunt, pandering for profit, or virtue signalling.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

Imagine if this had been implemented just for the plastic bottles (the part we need to address) and not on aluminium (the part we are already recycling well and have been for years). Along with an awareness campaign as to why that material has to be handled differently from now on. I bet the reaction from the public would be very different.

That would have given the consumer the option to choose a bad product (boooo to bottles) or a much better product option in a can. The makers could then adjust their supply in line with market demand, potentially removing the plastic bottles from the chain altogether, surely a much better result?

But no, somebody smelled all the lucrative money in cans and here we are. I appreciate someone mentioned above that cans were included to fund the whole thing, but the funding of this should not fall on pretty much everybody in the country. If it couldnt fund itself on the problem material, then it was a poor idea from the start.

Excellent point. And also I would add it is much easier to store the plastic bottles after use, with the cap and therefore keep them intact for returning. Cans are a messier proposition and more prone to damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

It is amazing how big businesses have been allowed over and over again to push the blame for everything onto the end consumer.

No reducing single use free plastics. Or make it compulsory for free filtered water in public places. Just gouge the en user. I suppose it's the ultimate polluter pays principle except it always appears to be more inconvenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Excellent point. We might be able to develop it as a reason for EXCLUDING glass. Why was glass not included? Less value? Less uniform? More difficult to crush?

Just to footnote: I am happy they left out glass, it is one way we are able to avoid the scheme in much the way you describe (e.g. choosing beer in glass bottle, not can means no DRS).

To rub salt in... The big businesses stand to make money on this, because of the 2.2c credit they get per item returned to the RVM, and possible extra business from people going there to return items bough in smaller exempt stores.

• I will try and avoid anything in a can and plastic bottle as it is very inconvenient for me to queue and place a bag of recyclables in the machine. I’m not far from needing to use a wheelchair regularly, my hands have lost dexterity. It’s barely as much as I can do to place items on checkout belt and pack, and sometimes staff help me with all that. But I want to be out and about and independent as much as I can as long as I can. There are lots of people like me who will find this a complete pain in the hole and maybe undoable in time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Glass was left out due to already high recycling levels. From the front page of their site:

"Currently, Ireland has a recycling rate of over 80% for glass and is surpassing recycling targets for this material. As a result, there are no plans to include glass in the Scheme but this may be open to change in the future."

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭stezie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

I actually knew the reason they gave, I should have mentioned it in my post. I am wondering if the recycle rate on cans was as low as bottles, or closer to bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You'd wonder why glass has such high collection rates?

Oh yea, free, publicilly accessible, straight forward to use, open 24/7 bring centres - no enough of them mind but enough to bring the reclycling rate up to that number.

I wonder is that the reclycling rate of glass or the actual collection rate - how were they able to work out either of these rates without such a granular DRS in place I wonder??

We are being told that is the whole point of this new scheme....

I've had my say on another thread on this in fairness .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Lidl provides bins for plastic,paper and cardboard packaging. You can remove excess packaging and leave it there for free.

Obviously you can't use these bins for packaging that is necessary to get stuff home.

I've seen people stuff rubbish bags into the recycling bins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

think of it as a positive then - for a couple of cents you can be the proud owner of a lovely plastic bottle to do as you wish with it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Working in retail. I'm hoping we don't get lots of angry and confused people tomorrow at the machines!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Relax.

There won't be a big rush tomorrow because logo cans that are eligible for the scheme only go on sale tomorrow.

Very few will be drinking the contents and looking for their deposit back in the first day.

The four month transition up to June 1st should give people time to ease into the operation of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I will try and avoid anything in a can and plastic bottle

This is actually the system working. Environmentally, the only thing better than recycling plastic or aluminum is not using the materials in the first place. It is designed to make you think about your consumption - to be inconvenient but also to compel you to endure the inconvenience (or suffer the loss of the deposit) if you chose to use the items.

Pretty much the only thing we buy on a regular basis that will be part of the scheme is squash (MiWadi). I'll be buying the bigger bottles to reduce the number I have to deal with, or even thinking "do we really need to artificially flavour our water this week?"

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Indeed. So why not punish them and reward those who don't.

If it cleans up all the glass bottles, beer cans and plastic bottles thrown along the roadsides then I'm in favour of it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,646 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Glass isn't covered. Could be in the future but no plans to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭nachouser

Good luck to anyone working in a Spar or Centra when this goes live.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,646 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bugger all of them will do either form of takeback - there's apparently around 200 manual takeback locations; and there are maybe one or two Centras in the country that are big enough to be required to do takeback at all.

My local Centra is huge, but clearly under 250sqm. Its only a shade smaller than the smallest Supervalus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭nachouser

The thing is, the lads buying bottles of coke will not understand this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement