Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I see my local fuel depot has African firewood. And you can't get a peat briquettes anymore. Doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Lets move on from the tax talk, unless it's carbon or green related. This notion of income tax based on "cushy" or "easy" roles is fantasy talk and isn't benefitting the thread. Lots to discuss on it like who has cushy jobs, who decides what's cushy, whats the metric for how hard someone works. Move it to the tax threads please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

thats half true, but in general carbon tax and green taxes overall are just allowing those industries to keep pumping out fumes into our environment, and are profiting from it.

it's like bribary or selling off natural resources for money. "i hate to imagine what the future will bring, because we're living in real gangster times!" - the specials

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

I agree with ya there. It's a tax on business as usual. Hence why since the tax came in the emissions haven't fallen, but things have got more expensive

its not just with that, its with all fine's in general. Lets take for example the waste litter fine since its enviroment related. I see bags of dog poop everywhere, despite them upping the fine from 50 or 75 to 100 and now currently 150. its still in places and has not really stopped.

the idea of a fine is just to put wind up people in general, and people with money to throw around won't care about the fines anyway, they'll just laugh as its just pocket change to them.

in enrviomental cases there should be no one making money off of the problem and instead should be making stricter laws around this sort of thing. What use is the money? if worst comes to worst and some global warming or whatever happens, we can't use the money we got from taxing the problem, to fix the problem, can we? its a self serving thing, where government is just proffiting from it and allowing it to go on, aslong as they get their cut its all good.

Even the other tax convo from earlier, this is government being self serving instead of serving the best interests of the country itself and its people.

problems should be fixed, not proffitted from, unless the profitting from it solves the problem. In these tax cases of carbon immisions and green taxes, it doesnt solve it at all. its just more money in governemnts pocket

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Oh I understand you, the content I am questioning and you can't answer.

Well that first video is nonsense, it is not easy to hire and fire employees in Ireland, unless you are a contractor. Our labour laws are way better than in UK and certainly better than the US. Plenty of video created on Youtube, majority are nonsense, when you see a hidden voice you know its just fake info for the outraged to get outraged about.

I asked you to provide high paying job that are easy, still waiting?

So who deserves to be taxed?

Who doesn't break their back to make ends meet?

Who is having million euro wedding and 1000 euro dinners?

Who are the people with cushy jobs who never had to work hard?

Can you provide anything to back up any of the comments? or just random generalisations with nothing behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

The point of those 2 videos was to show you how big business came into ireland and ruined the enviroment, the country, and the ecoenmy, They made ireland so expensive while and made ireland like really good on paper and "wealthy" when its further from the truth and made the impact much worse. if people have to leave the country to find good work, and if the country keeps ripping people off, what does that say about the country as a whole?

"I asked you to provide high paying job that are easy, still waiting?" i'm sorry, i cannot tell if this is serious or trolling. i'm not an employer i don't provide people with jobs.

i don't really see what any of this stuff has to do with green policies destroying the country. Only relevance i can see is green tax and rich people profiting off of the country being destroyed via green policies. Like i had said to another persons here, these problems that are destroying this country should not be proffitted off of, unless the profit is to stop the problem once and for all.

The thing about big corp coming into the country ruin the country in many ways, including those ways that are enviroment and green policy related!

The videos are wrongs, that's the issue wth them. Youtube is full of nonsense so best to fact check before sharing them.

You posted a lot of information and claims, you have backed up none of them. That is not a huge surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

What if there is a chance that most of the "modeling" was done on bad data? What if we are just being led somewhere?

Pollution and waste are still there and instead of tackling them whole green agenda was reinvented and repurposed to go after stuff like CO2 and 1.5 degree end of the world scenarios...

This is old read but still applicable as there was no mad rush to get data properly. We still use the same stations to gather them even though we know now that they may not be correct.

https://heartland.org/opinion/media-advisory-96-of-us-climate-data-is-corrupted/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭PommieBast

In the case of dog poop fines it is the usual Irish problem of sweet FA enforcement. Brother used to live in Melbourne where there is an automatic $200 fine just for not carrying poop bags and it is enforced to an extent that would make Singapore blush.

The farmer protests aren't green related (mostly). It's more to do with taxes and rebates (Germany), restrictions and bureaucracy (France) and the eastern Europeans are protesting over the importation of Ukrainian grains, thus putting downward pressure on EU producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

And it seems it’s spreading to here.

eamon, Eamon, where are you to explain this?

Sooner the greens are wiped out, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Probably cycling on a greenway to visit another Council and tell them how great he is and how they are the ones who are wrong. He has to get his practice in for the Brazil excursion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Really? Farmers? One of the most heavily subsidised industries in the state complaining about unfair advantages from outside the EU? The irony!

I never said it was a bad thing that they were subsidised financially. They are also subsidised in terms of emissions though, 51% cut in most sectors, some up to 70% but 25% in farming, and they complain about it!

The subsidies really go to the consumer. Imagine the availability and price of food and produce if such subsidies were not in place. It would be an absolute disaster.

• Advertisement

As a consumer I can confirm that I never got a direct subsidy, in fact I'd say the opposite is true, where do I apply?

Yes if the farmers don't get their breaks we risk harming our food supply, a good point that to be fair I don't think is enforced enough

But this idea that they don't need to change their ways, like the rest of us is frankly ridiculous

And despite that my food prices have skyrocketed the last 2 years and the farmers complain if it gets cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Yes we are subsidised. Subsidies just about bring farmers above the poverty line. In return for subsidies we must produce our beef/milk/veg/grain in strict adherence to environmental and welfare standards. These stardards are getting more strict every year and the goalposts are constantly changing, so farmers can't plan for a future with regulations changing every year. Finally its got to a stage where all the regulations and red tape are making farming near-impossible.

Coupled with this ever-tightening noose around EU farmers necks, the EU imports hundreds of thousands of tonnes of cheap produce from outside the EU - Brazil for beef and Ukraine for grain/poultry being the 2 big players. Brazil are rapidly chopping down the rain-forest to cater for this growing beef market. The EU's emissions are 'going down' due to us getting our beef in a shipping container now from what used to be the Amazon, instead of home-grown pasture-fed cattle. These imports can be produced cheaply because they are not subject to the rigorous regs EU farmers must abide by.

If this isn't bad enough, the EU are hell-bent on a new South America / EU trade deal caller Mercosur. Its going to reduce/eliminate tariffs on imports of certain goods between these groups. The EU want to sell more German cars to South America and in return South America can dump their farming produce on the EU, tarrif-free. Then the EU's emissions will 'go down' further. Can you see what nice guys the EU are, saving the planet and all!

Farmers in the EU are protesting as it has gotten just ridiculous. They are asking the governments to 'STOP SUBSIDISING THEM' and instead regulate imports from non-EU states so they have to adhere to the same regulations as we do. They want a level playing field and stop having to compete in price with GM grain or hormone-grown beef.

So be very careful calling out farmers saying they are heavily subsidised. We are backed into a corner and all this farmer-bashing in the media from people that don't have a clue where food comes from has taken a weary toll on many of us. At some point we'll have to bite back.

Advertisement