Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

He could have been tanked up or had more at his house

Throwing the bottle away is probably suggestive it was involved

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That doesn't answer my question though, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

Be suspicious all you want, but it puts to bed your theory that he came up with this story to get himself a lighter sentence in 2010 and that it was part of a wider Garda led conspiracy to get Bailey. Boys being boys, testosterone and all that, it is something that you would remember. It would particularly have been ingrained in your memory when the lady was murdered and would have stayed there afterwards.

Bolger was never asked about Bailey after the murder and didn`t think he had anything important to disclose.

The whole argument about the frailty of "recovered" memories of witnesses, (something which the DPP relied on) is a nonsense. The murder was a momentous event locally and local residents recall would have been crystalized by it so that even if they were asked by Gardaí months later they were likely to remember the detail with reasonable accuracy.

Caroline Leftwick for example. The call she got from Bailey the morning after the murder. She was`t recalling that several months later. That phonecall and it`s timing would have been to the forefront of her thoughts only days after the murder when it was becoming apparent that Bailey was a suspect.

They don`t throw them away. They do hide them though with the intention of coming back to them at a later date. Those darned blackouts though. Kinda like a squirrel forgetting where he buried the nuts.

So he had a blackout decided to a take bath, steal a bottle a wine, stash it, but then he forget where he stashed it and couldn't remember why he was clean presumably?

That sounds like complete fúcking nonsense, doesn't it?

Be honest.

• Advertisement

Someone was hanging out in Sophie`s house when she wasn`t there. He may have been there multiple times. Alfie lived next door. Could have been him. Certainly makes sense that Sophie might have suspected him. Bailey did a bit of gardening for Alfie, attended at least one gathering there, could have been him. Alfie had his own bath. Bailey fell on hard times around the time of the break in. Might have needed a wash and a drink.

The wine may not have been stolen when the bath was used and was deposited on what would have been Baileys route out of there.

Bailey fell on hard times around the time of the break in

Around the time or at the time? The Housekeeper narrowed one incident down to a very specific Thursday, was Bailey in need of a wash that Thursday?

Once the locks were changed, there was no more mysterious grooming, which would indicate someone had a key.

Did Bailey have a key?

Did the handy men who maintained the property have a key?

Did the 2 neighbours have a key?

The lady who tided up certainly had.

Was there a key under a flower pot outside?

There is a whole heap of questions that need answering before you tear both hamstrings with the stretch that Bailey was indulging in blacked out washing and thieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,618 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Never asked? Come off it.

You can't even say when this incident happened. Why would it have stayed ingrained in your memory, you had no idea Sophie was going to be murdered a year or maybe more later.

He didn't think it important to disclose! The biggest thing to happen in the area, people discussing it in pubs and shops, did Bailey know Sophie and no one remembers Leo Bolger chiming it well I remember when... it didn't occur to him?

The obvious reason it didn't occur to him is that it didn't happen.

If you believe testimony like this you will believe anything.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

he had nothing important to disclose ???? he said he seen bailey meet Sophie at Alfies - i would of thought that was kind of essential to the initial investigation ?

She described how once she was at the house when Sophie had just arrived from France with Bruno Carbonnet.

He complained that the bath was not clean.

"I went upstairs to check it and straight away I saw it was used. I cleaned it on the Thursday and this was the Friday when they came, so it was used on Thursday night.

The first thing Bruno did was march upstairs and inspect the bath and then march back down again to complain?

I know the French have a reputation of being somewhat forward, but that is complete mortification.

It's not like this lad owned the property or was paying the lady. He was a "secret" guest, I wouldn't be trying to píss off the person who could hang me out to dry.

At best, you might notice the grubby bath and once the housekeeper leaves say it to Sophie maybe to have a word with her.

Was there ever a deep dive dine into the Housekeeper who had a key to the property or those around who may have access to this key too?

• Advertisement

Depends how dirty the bath was... suggests it was more than just a ring of grime but hadn't been rinsed out at all and was obviously dirty.

He was interviewed after the murder as a possible suspect and wasn`t asked about Bailey.

He may not have come forward for any number of reasons...

1. He may have been aware that Alfie had already told Gardaí about the meeting....2. He may have assumed that it was common knowledge that Bailey knew Sophie. ...3. He may not have been aware that Bailey denied ever meeting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

How dirty can a bath be after being used once?

It'd be noticeable if a bath was used e.g. if hair washed in it and lots of hairs left.

Or, if there was a dried in muck on the person's arms, hands and that left a noticeable residue.

I`ve listened to him being interviewed on WCP and find him truthful. Bailey was a proven liar.

Leo Bolger is a proven criminal, running a sophisticated drugs operation which by its nature required deliberate, planned, continuous deception.

Noted you were completely unable to refute any of the points put to you, especially that the murder was the talk of the town and there's no mention of Leo Bolger ever sharing this nugget of information with anyone. Says it all.

You don't stash a bottle of wine that needs a corkscrew. Stashing a bottle of wine would not be the done thing, as it needs to be drunk pretty quickly once opened.

Alcoholics sometimes stash a bottle of spirits that they take a nip from, somewhere they can pop to, like a shed or somesuch. They don't stash it kms away.

It makes no sense on any level as a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

really ? imagine the gardai interviews in the days after the murder and you dont think it came across their minds to ask Leo did you ever see bailey and sophie talk ? seriously, its the first question they would be asking everyone in the locality ?

Ok....refute the points

"Never asked? Come off it"

They didn`t ask him about Bailey. He said this to WCP so I presume if we ever get to see his statement it will confirm that.

"You can`t even say when this incident happened."

Sometime between `93 and `96 and in terms of probability most likely `93. I might have a listen back to the podcast later to see if they mention a specific date. Bolger was repairing Sophie`s roof at the time and Bailey was working on Alfie`s garden. Bolger was skiving off with the two boys and Sophie came looking for him. He remembered quite a few specifics. Bailey had his poetry in a leather satchel and wanted to show it to Sophie.

"Why would it stay ingrained in your memory."

One party is believed to have murdered the other so it`s one of those introductions that stays in the memory forever.

"He didn`t think it important to disclose."

Why would he if, for example, he thought Alfie had already told investigators about it?

There were upwards of 50 suspects in the days after the murder. Why would Gardaí ask Bolger such a specific question about one of them?

• Advertisement

Somewhere between 1993 and 1996. So that's very specific information then?

How would it stay in the memory for a long period after the trivial social interaction? Unless you knew the person was going to be murdered?

And how could you know that in 1993, 1994, 1995... and there's no indication the alleged incident happened in any way recent to the murder or even in 1996.

It makes as much sense as any other explanation. As far as I am aware it wasn`t opened. Maybe he had taken a few bottles and didn`t fancy carrying them all on the trek home.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

First of all it wasn`t a random house. It was the holiday home of the French TV producer that Bailey was clearly initially anxious to be introduced to

Where is the evidence of this?

What is the point in interviewing a suspect if you're planning on steering them towards pointing the finger at someone else? If they asked Bolger about the relationship between Bailey and Sophie then they didn't regard Bolger as a suspect but a potential witness. If they were asking everyone that question then it's no wonder most people assume it is Bailey - sure didn't the gardai pretty much tell them that!

"Where is the evidence of this?"

West Cork Podcast...Episode 12....37 minutes in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've no intention of listening to this podcast (nor any podcast on any topic). Who made this claim and can it be verified?

If you can`t be arsed to listen to the podcast, then direct your questions to someone else.

The source for this garbage is known trustworthy local Leo Bolger. The one running that sophisticated drug operation for years. A very credible witness I'm sure you'll agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

This is the podcast devoted to the murdering horse theory isn’t it?

Ah it's just gas the way some people come onto this discussion with threadbare knowledge about the case. Do you seriously think WCP is about the horse or are you just having a laugh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

A little bit from column a and a tad from column b😀

sorry I don’t have a masters degree in Who killed Sophie? I’m currently studying for my foundational certificate - can I still post here? 🤪

Anyway episode 12 certainly starts with murdering horses theories - I hope they kept the interview notes with the nag in question but I fear the answer is neigh

Advertisement