Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I would suggest we're down the road of splitting the two with non-psb going to what I would propose as a fully private sector company. This private company can do what it wants on the same footing as Virgin Media.

The public service side would be fully state owned and funded and would be responsible for public service content creation. It would not provide content directly to the public but would make it available to broadcasters and other platforms on an equal footing for an agreed price depending on what the thing is, but would be relatively cheap for broadcasters. I would imagine it would mainly be a commissioning body and relatively small in size. It might co-fund productions that would otherwise not be commercially viable.

I would see most of these executives would move to the commercial arm, but now would have shareholders to answer to rather than the State. Some might still earn a lot but they would have to earn it. It could produce or buy whatever it wanted, subject to regulations, but would sink or swim on its ability to satisfy shareholders and the viewing public.

@Hotblack Desiato wrote 31-01-2024 12:29pm: "That means the channels delivering content will be commercial, given a choice between an hour of worthy documentary from the licence-fee funded producer, or an hour of reality TV crap, it's obvious which is in their commercial interest to broadcast."

I disagree. People will watch quality dramas, comedies, documentaries and they do. The problem is that it is expensive to produce so TV companies including RTE produce cheap reality crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

That would mean forcing people who don't have a TV to pay for a TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You are looking at something the New Zealand Model, something similar to the Current Sound and Vision Fund that is organized by the BAI/CnaM via the license fee.

So you still want people to pay a TV license and then "sell" / co-funding programming that is then broadcast on commercial operators?

What if commercial operators realize that spending 2000 on imports is still cheaper than buying a 10k show from the new public service commissioning body? would there be regulations on your license? and what if they lobby to dumb down the public service broadcast programming?

Could anyone take on these programmes or just licensed broadcasters. Would it just be Virgin Media TV, and the commercial semi-state body or could Sky and other foreign tv operators come in on this?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

RTÉ don't produce enough cheap reality crap to justify only spending 2% of their budget on Independent drama commissions. Most of which are co-productions and have little or nothing to do with RTÉ.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

RTÉ CFO exit package 'did not go through executive board'

Another Forbes fůck-up. The damage she did to RTE is immeasurable

Mr Bakhurst repeated that he thought it was "pretty shocking" that this is what happened given the financial constraints on the organisation.

Ah it was all becuase of the financial constraints that Dee and Breda didn't do their work.

I can't imagine Breda who told us that she was very fastidious in the oireachtas committee on other people wages would have allowed such a thing to happen but according to Kevin Bakhurst Defender of Galaxy RTÉ says: -

the report accepts that the failure of Ms O'Keeffe's exit package to go before the executive was a mistake by RTÉ, not Ms O'Keeffe.

I wonder if Ms O'Keeffe was still on the Executive board when it was signed of on, so she had no hand act or part in this redundancy, it was all RTÉ's fault, she just happened to be CFO at the time of the agreement!

What a load of **** nonsense.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Tow

The CFO would have also approved her own package. They claimed it was Redundancy to get tax exemptions, except they then hired a new CFO.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

Surely this is the final straw, this whole saga has now got to be investigated properly, fraud squad need to be called in as its public monies and the stench of dodgyness is overwhelming. If it’s a small number of cases, this should be a quick turnaround (but this is Ireland so don’t hold your breath). Forbes & O’Keefe must be compelled at this stage (need Jennings in aswell). They cannot continue to hide behind sick notes/I’ve nothing more to say BS anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

People will watch them, but not as many as watch Ireland's Fattest Family Have No Talent, so do you oblige the commercial broadcaster to air the state-produced content...? as they will make less advertising revenue if they do.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yes it would.

Many now get their 'TV' through other means and the licence is supposed to be for 'public broadcasting' not just TV.

Well with everyone paying it unless you live off grid it could be cheaper say 60 per annum that over 12 months a fiver a month. Hardly noticeable.

A million TV licences in Ireland in 2021 160 each, less paid last year I'm certain

Two and a half million houses/homes units in Ireland approx, last year at 60 would come to the roughly the same value. Possibly more..

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

yer one dee has a face on her like a well slapped arse!!

the more i read about this the more i think the fraud squad has to be brought in...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭HBC08

At what point are there going to be consequences for the elusive Dee Forbes?

How many scandals do we need?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,914 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This country doesn't really do consequences for people operating at the level of Dee Forbes, is the problem.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

So she was hand out, begging for money to keep the trough full and signing off on b O keeffes golden hand exit package🥺

It seems this woman was completely unanswerable to anyone.

Is this going to continue or will the govt finally find their back bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What was the redundancy package this woman got?

Is Dee Forbes receiving any RTE pension?

She's a gangster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Any one know if there is a time limit? As in after a certain amount of time she cant be compelled to say anything or be requested to attend?

This is Ireland, usually some legal get out clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,421 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dee should be made, forced to answer questions, can a legal case be brought against her, would it be fraud the packages she signed off on

But any ordinary John and Jane can be brought to court for no licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Trampas

Revenue should look at the package. Was it illegal or not. No hiding behind I no longer work there with them. Package should be null and void as it was not signed off properly due to them two laughing at us

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This place seems to have been run like a Wild West Show for a long long time.

And now, I understand any tax accruing from these ‘redundancies’ will be covered by RTE!!

Thats us.

Place needs to be cleaned out starting at the top, I also accept there are many genuine folk who have no knowledge of the goings on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No consequences it seems with Catherine Martin. Useless.

sure she has a sick note...although i didnt know being a complete fraudulent c**t was a medical condition...

It is really a way of making better use of public funding by focusing that funding on content rather than a broadcaster or a set of channels.

On your point about commercial operators realizing that it is cheaper to import rather than paying for locally made content, that is kind of the point of public funding in the first place. The funding is to bring down the cost to the operators so that it becomes competitive and should be set at such a level.

On the last point, I think while we have a broadcast infrastructure and large numbers of people still tune in to TV with an aerial or via cable, then operators licensed in Ireland would have priority, then later money could be recovered through international sales and sales to streaming platforms.

The basic philosophy is that you have a small focused body responsible for Irish produced content that would otherwise be noncompetitive while privately owned broadcasters compete for viewers and advertisers.

The debate about collection from the electricity or internet connection has been either or.

No reason it couldn't be a bit of both. Say 50 p.a. electric and 10 p.a. per connection?

to my mind it should be sweet FA until every thing is sorted and completely above board...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

RTE are already in lots of trouble with Revenue over bogus self-employment so if there's bogus redundancy as well I expect they'll be right on it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Why kind of public service broadcasts do you get?

already Ireland does what you are suggesting: -

1. RTÉ own commission unit with a set amount to spend (circa 40m) though all programing remains on RTÉ platforms
    2. TG4 budget that largely goes to their programming (circa 40m) again all programming on TG4 platform
    3. BAI funding programming (circa €15m) which is spread across all broadcasters
    4. and to a lesser extend the Screen Ireland (who often act more like a IDA rather than an Enterprise Ireland type funder)

Who are the broadcasters, or online providers you'd include or exclude in the work, would they have to be licensed? What if none of the product fits their vision, while you can say that Star Trek may not sit well on RTÉ, its not a major risk as it is a bought in programme, but what if a commissioning editor was Sci-Fi mad, and only really one niche broadcaster could take it.

How much content to you plan to get from this fund and how much is the fund in total?

Are you including Radio, Newspapers and other publications?

I suppose my point would be where is the media, Ireland has so little media divergency, RTÉ, Bauer, Virgin Media TV, Mediahuis, The Wireless Group, The Irish time Trust, and some smaller radio outliers.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Why would anyone in the country pay another cent to fund RTE until we fully understand what has been happening and we see there are consequences for abuse of public money.

Proper consequences too. The idea that a sick note from a GP is currently protecting someone from answering questions is laughable and unfortunately ‘very Irish’.

When your country’s leader can use ‘won some money on the horses’ and it’s accepted then there are future consequences.

Advertisement