Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

This weeks update has signage upgrades noted on links north of the tunnel, hoping these may help but as pointed out here I think the main issue is the large sign prior to the tunnel. A large sign at the Mahon flyover saying "Dublin - Right Lane Only" would sort the mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Agreed, because the is no lane changing allowed in the tunnel there needs to be a clear and unambiguous sign between the slip from Mahon and the tunnel entrance indicating that M8 access is from the righthand lane only.

I'm currently in Murcia, Spain after driving from Santander. The trip involved dozens of junctions on the motorway system linking both cities and not once was I ever in doubt what lane I should be in.

Unlike TII's efforts on the N25/N8/N40 their Spanish equivalent provides clear and unambiguous signs with plenty of warning of which lane leads to exactly where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Not really much of a basis for comparison. Santander-Murcia is mostly open countryside, certainly they're are no tunnels with major junctions right afterwards. Rural motorways are well signposted here too, and yet this interchange is not. if you've got an example from Spain (or anywhere else) of how a similar situation should be signposted, that'd be good to see

The problem here is that a lot happens in very little space, and there's no room. The signage makes it worse, but it's always going to be a problem.

One quick fix, if you do miss the M8 Dublin turn and end up heading East, is that M8 Dublin should be re-signposted on the Little Island west exit, so that drivers for M8 can at least get back on track via that dumbell.

Open countryside the whole way, not totally.

There are major cities, including the capitol Madrid, with multiple intersections with multiple motorways and other roads, in densely built up areas along the route. Then add in local exit lanes.

No matter how tight a space may be, there is no excuse for poor or misleading signposting.

Motorway splits are also laid out and signposted properly, not like the M7/M8 southbound example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Do we think the last link will open in the next 2 weeks? Hoping it'll happen before heading away on 5th Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

As predicted, and even with the DKI not yet fully opened, Bloomfield is causing tailbacks up the M8 and down the N25 every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A teeny tiny sign has appeared southbound going into the tunnel - it is back to 80kmh in that direction now. Not that anyone cared about the 60kmh limit before, nor do they care about the 80kmh limit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

i can’t believe people were denying this would happen. It was as obvious as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Has the M8 signage situation been improved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Traffic has risen dramatically on all routes into Cork in the last year. You always see big jumps in January when schools and students return, but the underlying rise is a knock-on effect of the ongoing accommodation crisis.. people are having to live much further away, and that's creating more traffic.

I've also heard a lot of employers ending or restricting Work From Home arrangements in the last six months, which is putting more commuters back on the roads.

I would imagine the situation would be just as bad, or worse, without the new interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Leatra

How teeny tiny are we talking? Nothing would make me happier than for it to be a speed limit repeater sign.

Its one of those standard round roadside 80kmh signs attached to the wall just after the lanes merge going south into the tunnel.

As said before, a third lane connecting the slip on at Jct 6 from the N28 to the exit to N27 is the only solution to the congestion on the westbound section of the Douglas flyover. A reasonably aesthetic solution should not be beyond the capability of competent road bridge designers.

Let's face the reality that personal transport in the form of fossil fuel or electric vehicles is not going to diminish in the future. Auto makers will continue to ply their trade in the form of EV's.

Active travel solutions are all very well, but the topography and climate of Cork City and it's environs are unlikely to tempt the majority to take to the bike.

The only real solution is a light rail network, similar to that which was ripped up from the 1930's onwards, (see below) connecting all the major dormitory towns serving the city. However, such a multi billion euro project is unlikely to ever see the light of day.

Thanks to years of miss management of our housing policy to cater for the increase in population and industrial activity combined with a lack of foresight in the provision and of connecting commuter infrastructure we will have to settle for the current mess, with various tweaks here and there.

Post edited by niloc1951 on

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

DroneHawk - The End Is Near

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Adding another lane at Douglas does nothing to resolve the fact that it's a single point of failure.

And topography and climate are not significant barriers to active travel in Cork, but that's also best kept for a different thread.

Edit: I'd prefer to see a focus on other modes and a Northern Bypass (and a distributor).

Post edited by hans aus dtschl on

Not sure what you mean by a single point of failure. If you mean if there's a crash along that stretch of road everything comes to a halt, that can apply anywhere, it's not exclusive to the Douglas flyover. However, a multi lane carriageway with directly connected on and off ramps lessons the amount of weaving and therefore would reduce the like hood of crashes.

Regarding active travel, what percentage of the current and future commuter population from East and South of the city could realistically be expected to leave their car at home and use a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What's the pool of water in that latest video? Is it flowing from a river or is it tidal?

Mark

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Probably an large attenuation pond.

Yes I mean that if there were an N40 North or Southern Distributor, the whole city might not come to a halt. Yes the Douglas area would be affected but not the whole city.

In terms of active travel, that's a different question than weather and topography. It's a good question. I'd say a reasonable/realistic (your words!) estimate would be something between 5-10% for bike. That's based on Dublin census numbers, they're at 7% now (2022 census). Cork's at around 2.2% since the boundary extension. In terms of numbers I think it could be boosted from 2.5k to around 10k as a reasonable and realistic estimate. In terms of the East and South of the city, they're probably the low-hanging fruit, given the Blackrock greenway and Tramore Valley Park and planned Southwestern Greenway and Lee to Sea, and the generally flat topography...I don't see why they wouldn't be "leader" areas so to speak.

Take Douglas as an example because that's where we're talking about a wider road. Most of the centre of Douglas is at 1% cycling now, below the city average. Higher numbers of children in the centre of Douglas drive than cycle to school or college at the moment according to the census. Even more are being driven to school and college. I don't see why you couldn't improve that situation significantly. I was only taking exception to "weather and topography". Those two are cited regularly but most surveys register "infrastructure" and "safety" as the top reasons for not using active travel. Followed by "distance". We can improve those first two with reasonably low effort. By almost every study, the main reasons people aren't walking and cycling is because of the lack of infrastructure. As I say definitely a discussion for a different thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭BagofWeed

They'll never be a NDR or NRR for Cork's northside this side of 2050.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

One key attribute of the NDR is that it’ll be possible to deliver it in phases. Which is almost a shoe in given how much we don’t like big infrastructure projects in this country.

It’s likely at least parts of the NDR will be build in conjunction with housing developments along that corridor

I agree that a watered down NDR will happen. The NRR won't.

Edit: Road markings going down on the N25W to M8N movement. Looking forward to that one opening.

NDR will happen, and I don't even think it'll be watered down much. The bits you'd typically "water down" are probably the most easy to progress (walk, cycle, bus).

NRR I don't see how we can do without: N40 is going to fail, M20 is going to plough more traffic into Blackpool, and Sarsfields Court Hospital is going to increase traffic too. Traffic crossing the Northside is going to increase, and sending that along the NDR would be totally incorrect use of the infrastructure. I agree it might not be until 2050, but I don't see Douglas widening happening much sooner to be honest.

They're saying done within 4 weeks time: nearly there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Today’s email nothing that they are hoping to complete Link C by end of next week. Impressive if they achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Official opening in 2 weeks

Question though it what is left. Link C is pretty much done, lined and ready.

Advertisement