Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

I didn't read your post correctly first time round.

The two-state solution seems to be the best compromise to avoid the cycle of violence between the Israelis and the Palestinians. It will take time and effort.

Before this conflict, I would have said most would fully support Israel and the Palestinians in such an endeavour and ensure that third state actors were kept at bay.

The tragedy of this situation in my view is that Israel has lost a huge amount of support and that will be hard to recover.

if the Israelis throw out the far right and Netanyahu and reign in the settlers, there's a chance.

I really don't think people would allow Israel to be wiped out.

From my own perspective, I don't apportion atrocities to the Israelis as a whole - only to those who perpetrate it. The actions of the far right in the cabinet must be mortifying to most Israelis. Netanyahu is hanging on by a thread.

But many people would tar all Israelis with the same brush. I wouldn't.

Likewise, I don't apportion atrocities to the Palestinian civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭Hoboo

100 hostages to release V Israel who will never release some of their 7000+ (yes seven thousand plus) Palastenian hostages, 2000+ who are held without charges or trial.

Cry me a river Israel.

Some of those held haven't been charged or the accusations against them are very minor (throwing stones). Some will die.

I read there was one girl held for months for a WhatsApp or telegram or some such post on social media.

Anyone held must be charged and tried or released.

I read today Israeli courts have extended the period they can be held without charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭Hoboo

You’re correct, 2000 plus held without trial or charge, 7000+ held for throwing stones and glancing in a menacing manner. Will edit my post.

• Advertisement

Good news if it goes through - hostages released, Palestinians released, increased aid to Gaza and best of all, Ben Gvir resigns.

Source: Haaretz

HOSTAGES/CEASE-FIRE: A framework for a cease-fire/hostage deal between Israel and Hamas includes the release of all Israeli civilian hostages held in the Strip during a six-week cease-fire backed by the U.S., Qatar and Egypt, the Washington Post reported.

• According to the report, Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli prisons will be released in exchange for Israeli captives at a rate of three prisoners for each hostage.

• The proposal also includes the condition of a non-permanent repositioning of IDF forces away from densely populated areas in the Strip and increased humanitarian aid into Gaza, and may include additional truces beyond the first six weeks, during which IDF soldiers and the bodies of hostages who were killed by Hamas would be released.

• The number of Palestinian prisoners set to be released in a potential deal has yet to be specified, a senior Hamas official told Reuters.

• U.S. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivanmet in Washington D.C. with families of Israeli hostages and former hostages.

• Far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir said that he opposes the potential deal with Hamas, adding that "a ridiculous deal means the dissolution of the government." Israeli opposition leader Yair Lapid said that his party agrees to enter the government to replace the far-right Religious Zionism party in order to promote a hostage deal.

"In other words, one way or the other – if a deal moves forward – the [Netanyahu] coalition has slim prospects of surviving in its current form" - Amos Harel

Haaretz

GAZA: The IDF continues to scale down its presence in the Strip, leaving one reservist brigade within Gaza. Division 162 is operating in northern Gaza around the al-Shati refugee camp, where Hamas appears to be attempting to rehabilitate its local regiment.

• Four Palestinians, including a child, were killed in the assassination of an Islamic Jihad member in North Rafah, according to Palestinian reports. According to the reports, the four were inside a vehicle that was attacked from the air.

• The Hamas-controlled Gaza Health Ministry said at least 26,900 Palestinians have been killed and 65,949 were wounded since the war began.

UNRWA: Norway, a top donor to the UN agency, urged countries that have cut funding to UNRWA to consider the consequences of their actions on Gazans. The head of the World Health Organization warned that halting funding to UNRWA would lead to "catastrophic consequences" for people in Gaza.

"The 'meaningless fringe' excuse is dead. In Israel, what looks insane one minute becomes state policy the next" - Dahlia Scheindlin

■ U.S.: Leaders of the U.S. Reform movement, the largest Jewish denomination in the country, said that they were "deeply dismayed" by PM Netanyahu's recent dismissal of the possibility of a two-state solution that would provide the Palestinians with their own state.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

For a 2 state solution to work you need to have a Palestinian group in charge that is committed to such.

There are a lot of Israelis that support such a thing. Well there were but it was left wing Jews that were hardest hit and targeted by the Palestinians in the Oct 7th massacre, so there is a lot less now.

Most Palestinians aren't interested in it. Most Israelis are now against after Oct.

What ever people in Europe or America think isn't going to matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Haha I think you're a bit late with that suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,432 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

They have deemed it credible enough to report on but it doesn't prove the allegations that 10 percent of UNRWA employees are hamas operatives. I remember the Daily Telegraph and NYT posting many articles concerning Bin Ladens Tora Bora complex with a 3dmap of its layout. Further back they had articles about where Saddam was hiding his WMD. All these articles I assume were deemed credible enough to report ,but we subsequently found out they were false. These governments that you mention are presumably getting their information from the IDF.

The IDF maybe telling the truth, but this is war and they have found to be less than truthful in the past . You given your objectivity would be equally sceptical of any report that was critical of the IDF by Israeli Human rights groups. You wouldn't be satisfied that the reports were necessarily true on the basis that the likes of Haaretz and the BBC deemed them credible enough to report on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Wouldn't it be great if it would happen and settled this mess but who among the Palestinian leadership wants it and how long would they survive on the street advocating for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

From what I understand, the IDF compiled the evidence of the UN staffers who took part in the attacks. The other stuff about the Hamas and other terror operatives in the organisation comes from the years long work of Hillel Neuer who is a Canadian lawyer, and not the IDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Nothing in that video shows Israel or the original reports claiming that 40 babies were beheaded? 40 babies killed, some beheaded. Thanks for proving my point that " Israel said 40 babies were beheaded so they are lying about everything" is a straw man. Anyway, is exactly 40 headless babies the benchmark for an atrocity now? Yeah, they murdered, burnt, killed and decapitated some kids, but it wasnt 40 so shut up about it? Jesus Christ. Also, they literally live streamed themselves trying to hack a living persons head off with a garden tool...but babies is just too far for them?

In any case, some children were decapitated, according to forensic pathologists. They are Jewish/Israeli though so also liars no doubt according to the deniers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

And I wonder do any of Hamas members look at these figures, and wonder about the part they played in it? Just a thought.

The dead children may be the lucky ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

• Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Whether Iranians want Israel to exist or not should not affect the rights of the palestinians to self determination. One states security demands do not deny the existance of another country.

Russia claims that it invaded Ukraine because of security concerns. Would Russia be more secure if Ukraine was controlled by a puppet government? Probably. That doesn't give Russia any rights to occupy Ukraine and control it's peoples. Likewise during the troubles the IRA would regularly retreat back to the republic. Thankfully the UK never questioned the sovereignty of the republic. They never said that the republic can't exist.

But there are some who say that if it makes Israel more secure, then the Palestinians shouldn't have a state. There's people who say that if it makes Israel more secure, then they should annex the occupied territories.

That's wrong. Just as it's wrong for Russia to take over Donbas or invade Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

The question about how many innocent Gazans was already discussed at some length a few hundred pages ago if you want to read back.

"Whether Iranians want Israel to exist or not should not affect the rights of the palestinians to self determination. One states security demands do not deny the existance of another country."

Iran runs Hamas. Hamas are the government in Gaza, so both are sworn to destroy Israel. Should Israel passively accept a new State directly bordering its country that is sworn to destroy it? Would you accept Cork seceding from Ireland sworn to destroy it?

Palestinians have the right to self determination, but not until the 'kill all the Jews' oaths go, it's really very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hopefully this is true and they can bring an end to the genocide.

I can only imagine that the average Palestinian in Gaza sees the wrath that Hamas have brought upon ordinary citizens - who just want (and deserve) as much security as Israelis want.

I can also imagine the average Israeli (Jew or Arab or Christian) being horrified at the death and destruction in Gaza.

Settlers need to be reigned in, expansion in the West Bank needs to stop, the extreme politicians on all sides need to go, the hostages need to be returned, Hamas and other terrorist groups need to go.

Agreed - the principle appears simple enough.

But the Palestinians can keep firing rockets? You're cool with whatever Hezbollah gets up to?

"I can only imagine that the average Palestinian in Gaza sees the wrath that Hamas have brought upon ordinary citizens - who just want (and deserve) as much security as Israelis want."

Really? Haven't you been saying Hamas is guaranteed recruits for generations now? Where will they come from?

A new Palestinian state needs to support Israel, beyond acknowledging its right to exist. I can see a joint military patrolling Israel's borders with Syria, Jordan, Egypt... Including Palestinian women in the IDF. As well as a favorable disposition for integrating Palestinians into Israeli society as citizens, with the eventual, very long term goal of a one-state solution for both.

Not everything's on Israel, despite the endless attempts to portray life as such.

Lebanon is different to Gaza. Hezbollah is different to Hamas.

And no, I've never expressed any support for anyone firing rockets at anyone else.

Mutual respect and support is critical if coexistence is to happen in a respectful manner.

As to current events being a major recruitment drive for Hamas, I don't think that would be the case for many gazans. They'll be focused on rebuilding their lives. As for surrounding neighbours, I've no idea what that will look like. The Saudis still seem to be open to peace with Israel. Jordan and Egypt already have accords. The PA have "peace" with Israel (bar illegal settlements).

if there was a desire for peace, it could happen. But it's a huge undertaking.

Normal people just want to see and end to the cyclical violence. Those that wish it to continue need to be rooted out.

• Advertisement

"The Israeli intelligence documents make several claims that Sky News has not seen proof of and many of the claims, even if true, do not directly implicate UNRWA."

"UNRWA also said it shares the list of all its staff with host countries every year, including Israel.

"The agency never received any concerns on specific staff members," it added."

Advertisement